The Defense

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have played well
All season other than the KC game
I kinda agree. The first 3 games they started poorly. This defense is the only one in NFL history that has allowed the first three possessions to be scored in the first three games of the season. That's historically bad.

With all of that said, the defense has really gotten better throughout the games and got to the point where they dominated the Panthers game. Let's see what they do against Jalen this time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D has played much better than I expected the last 2.5 games. I think they’ve been beneficiaries of broken offenses the last two games but I doubted whether this D could really stop anyone, no matter how good or bad this season.

Remains to be seen what happens against a good offense. The eagles will be a good test to see how far they’ve actually come after getting pulverized by the Chiefs.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Keep it up Vance! You may get another HC gig next year, if this play continues, which would delight several on this board.

#catch22
LMAO....

I think I am one of those that wants Vance to be great do he can move on. I dont dislike the man, I dislike the scheme. But you cant argue with VJ's results most of the time and results are what matter.

damn I just wish he attacked more to get those results.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
D has played much better than I expected the last 2.5 games. I think they’ve been beneficiaries of broken offenses the last two games but I doubted whether this D could really stop anyone, no matter how good or bad this season.

Remains to be seen what happens against a good offense. The eagles will be a good test to see how far they’ve actually come after getting pulverized by the Chiefs.
I wouldn't call the Rams a broken offense.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LMAO....

I think I am one of those that wants Vance to be great do he can move on. I dont dislike the man, I dislike the scheme. But you cant argue with VJ's results most of the time and results are what matter.

damn I just wish he attacked more to get those results.
Zone heavy schemes can be frustrating to watch, but over the course of a game or games, it can lead to a whole lot less big plays.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

We might look back at that game as the perfect storm of:
1. Injuries
2. Poor play
3. Hot opponent

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought it was interesting when Chinn went out with an injury. They said he is called the eraser by all that he can do on defense. Sounds like a name Keim mentioned when we drafted someone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, they aren't. They have good playmakers and a great playcaller.
Yeah, they are. They’ve got a QB that’s looked pretty terrible. They have ONE playmaker (a great one, but still just one). The big WR FA is on milk cartons. Their O-line was bad before it became a MASH unit. And their RB by committee is mediocre at best.

And they’re averaging a whopping 18.5 ppg.

Maybe things change as these season goes on, but right now, that’s a broken offense, dude.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmm. Screams mediocre

Take out the Chiefs game where Simmons had a nightmare and these look a whole lot better.

Yards per game 294.3 (6th)
Yards per play 5.6 (16)
Rushing yards/game 73.3 (2nd)
Passing yards/game 221 (16th)
First downs/game 15.3 (1st)
Points per game 19.7 (12th)

The points per game includes a pick 6 so should really be 17.4 points per game and 8th.

This defense had one terrible unprepared game vs a very good Chiefs. Then they got their **** together.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Take out the Chiefs game where Simmons had a nightmare and these look a whole lot better.

Yards per game 294.3 (6th)
Yards per play 5.6 (16)
Rushing yards/game 73.3 (2nd)
Passing yards/game 221 (16th)
First downs/game 15.3 (1st)
Points per game 19.7 (12th)

The points per game includes a pick 6 so should really be 17.4 points per game and 8th.

This defense had one terrible unprepared game vs a very good Chiefs. Then they got their **** together.
Unfortunately for your argument, that''s not how it works. You're also forgetting that the defense has had a league-record bad defense early in games in the first 3 games. So this D put this team behind the 8-ball in 3 straight games out of 4 to open the season. The D has not been good until week 4 against a horrific offense.

Using your "Take out" game, take out the Panthers game and run the stats again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately for your argument, that''s not how it works. You're also forgetting that the defense has had a league-record bad defense early in games in the first 3 games. So this D put this team behind the 8-ball in 3 straight games out of 4 to open the season. The D has not been good until week 4 against a horrific offense.

Using your "Take out" game, take out the Panthers game and run the stats again.

That's simply not correct. Again, take out a very bad Chiefs game and they gave up 13 vs the Rams in the 1st half, 20 vs Vegas and 10 vs Panthers.

Granted the 20 vs Vegas ain't great but that's not the hole. The hole was the 0 on the other side.

The garbage offense put us behind the 8 ball.

Stout

Reaction score
That's simply not correct. Again, take out a very bad Chiefs game and they gave up 13 vs the Rams in the 1st half, 20 vs Vegas and 10 vs Panthers.

Granted the 20 vs Vegas ain't great but that's not the hole. The hole was the 0 on the other side.

The garbage offense put us behind the 8 ball.
Um, just because you say that doesn't make it true. Then you follow it up by trying to cancel 1/4 of the defensive games of this young season. Plus, we're talking about the defense, not the offense. Reminder: our defense broke records for being bad early in games. It was cited here on the board, and I know you read it. We got off to terrible defensive starts in the first three games. Terrible. Finally, playing by your "take out a game" rules, instead of taking out the Chiefs game, take out the Panthers game, and you'll see that this is a pointless exercise.

How about we say this: Despite the opponent, our defense was dominant against the Panthers. Let's hope this can be the springboard for the defense for the rest of the season and that we can carry the defensive momentum forward.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Um, just because you say that doesn't make it true. Then you follow it up by trying to cancel 1/4 of the defensive games of this young season. Plus, we're talking about the defense, not the offense. Reminder: our defense broke records for being bad early in games. It was cited here on the board, and I know you read it. We got off to terrible defensive starts in the first three games. Terrible. Finally, playing by your "take out a game" rules, instead of taking out the Chiefs game, take out the Panthers game, and you'll see that this is a pointless exercise.

How about we say this: Despite the opponent, our defense was dominant against the Panthers. Let's hope this can be the springboard for the defense for the rest of the season and that we can carry the defensive momentum forward.

Not trying to cancel anything. Simply saying that outside of game 1 the defense has been decent overall.

Stout

Reaction score
Not trying to cancel anything. Simply saying that outside of game 1 the defense has been decent overall.
No, you also said they got their ish together after that game. They very much did not get their ish together until the 2nd half in those games. Then they got their ish together for a full game last Sunday.

I posited a common ground, and even made it positive common ground. You blew right by it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave