Cardinals promote LB Jesse Luketa, release S Deionte Thompson

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What is all of this even based off of?

The hope of BritCard?

At today Simmons showed he can't play well any positions
Sure he is athletic and can make some play that can impact the game, but has been very few

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
He was a disaster at ILB at Penn State and played himself into draftable territory on the edge.
This is a bad statement, Luketa moved from MLB to DE due to injuries along the DLine, not because he was a disaster at MLB. He was one of the defense’s most productive players in a nine game 2020 season with 59 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, three pass breakups and a fumble recovery playing MLB. Playing DE in 2021 he had .5 sacks, a career best 8.5 TFLs, 61 total tackles, and 1 INT in his only season playing DE.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a bad statement, Luketa moved from MLB to DE due to injuries along the DLine, not because he was a disaster at MLB. He was one of the defense’s most productive players in a nine game 2020 season with 59 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, three pass breakups and a fumble recovery playing MLB. Playing DE in 2021 he had .5 sacks, a career best 8.5 TFLs, 61 total tackles, and 1 INT in his only season playing DE.
That's not what the scouting reports say about him. NFL scouts thought he was baaaad at ILB, but draftable at OLB.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's not what the scouting reports say about him. NFL scouts thought he was baaaad at ILB, but draftable at OLB.

Well, ATHLON certainly didn't see him as a bad ILB and expected that he'd develop as an inside backer given good quickness in short areas, and good recognition skills as a run defender.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I honestly don't care what the scouting reports said who may have watched one, maybe two games at best and some probably not even that. I watched every PSU game in both 2020 and 2021 and he was more than capable at ILB and considering how he played at a position (OLB) he never played before in 2021 his performance was more than acceptable, so I'm going to believe my eyes over theirs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I honestly don't care what the scouting reports said who may have watched one, maybe two games at best and some probably not even that. I watched every PSU game in both 2020 and 2021 and he was more than capable at ILB and considering how he played at a position (OLB) he never played before in 2021 his performance was more than acceptable, so I'm going to believe my eyes over theirs.
He made virtually NO splash plays at ILB. None.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is a bad statement, Luketa moved from MLB to DE due to injuries along the DLine, not because he was a disaster at MLB.
I didn't say he was moved because he was a disaster. He was moved due to injury and ended up being much better at OLB.
He was one of the defense’s most productive players in a nine game 2020 season with 59 tackles, 2.5 TFLs, three pass breakups and a fumble recovery playing MLB.
Looks like starter numbers...which doesn't translate to draftable. The scouting breakdowns I watched during the draft showed how he was routinely out of position playing ILB
Playing DE in 2021 he had .5 sacks, a career best 8.5 TFLs, 61 total tackles, and 1 INT in his only season playing DE.
Right low on sacks, decent TFLs. He also pressured the QB quite a bit.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Realistically, Luketa just takes Thompson's spot on special teams -- nothing more, nothing less. 10 pages of debating his merits as an inside backer vs pass rusher will kill some time, but probably amount to nothing anytime soon.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I didn't say he was moved because he was a disaster. He was moved due to injury and ended up being much better at OLB.

Looks like starter numbers...which doesn't translate to draftable. The scouting breakdowns I watched during the draft showed how he was routinely out of position playing ILB

Right low on sacks, decent TFLs. He also pressured the QB quite a bit.
NO you didn't say he was moved because of his play at ILB however you did state he was a disaster at ILB, period yet never watched a PSU game.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
NO you didn't say he was moved because of his play at ILB however you did state he was a disaster at ILB, period yet never watched a PSU game.
.... which is what scouting reports said and game clips of him hitting the wrong gaps often showed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose