Cardinals trade pick #23 for Hollywood Brown

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keim's view that none of the top guys would be available was absolutely vindicated.

I saw some film cut ups of Zach Tom going up against Jermaine Johnson and OWNING him. Feel much better passing on Johnson after watching a smallish OT beating him snap after snap.
Obviously behind the top three receivers they didn't like any players really much as first round options, so they went with marquise brown as their plan B
The decision made was a good one especially after seeing Johnson and green already gone before pick 23

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Obviously behind the top three receivers they didn't like any players really much as first round options, so they went with marquise brown as their plan B
The decision made was a good one especially after seeing Johnson and green already gone before pick 23
LOL this board was split on taking Dotson if available and even he was gone! If you askede before the draft if I wanted Dotson or Hollywood, I'd 100% say Hollywood.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I remember watching all the tape I could on Kyler when it appeared he might be a possibility, and the one guy who kept popping up was not of course just Kyler but equally this WR named Hollywood. Brown is not just a vertical threat, and I will state right now he's much better than Christian Kirk... at least for this offense that's an affirmative

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I remember watching all the tape I could on Kyler when it appeared he might be a possibility, and the one guy who kept popping up was not of course just Kyler but equally this WR named Hollywood. Brown is not just a vertical threat, and I will state right now he's much better than Christian Kirk... at least for this offense that's an affirmative
Brown really exploded at OU. He wasn't just a deep threat, he was a go to receiver.

If you watch Ravens games, he's clearly used very differently.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I found this analysis interesting:

Hollywood Brown
91 slot targets, 24 slot DYAR (value over the season), -9.3% slot DVOA (value on an individual play over average)
58 wide targets, -38 wide DYAR, -21.1% DVOA.
For Comparison:

Rondale Moore
50 slot targets, 12 slot DYAR (value over the season), -9.4% slot DVOA (value on an individual play over average)
11 wide targets, -20 wide DYAR, -34.6% DVOA.

Christian Kirk
81 slot targets, 230 slot DYAR (value over the season), 23.9% slot DVOA (value on an individual play over average)
20 wide targets, 64 wide DYAR, 27.7% DVOA.

Gotta hope that Brown's lack of outside production is a result of Lamar being unable/unwilling to put the ball out there.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Except Kirk is famous for just that here have a few good games then completely disappears. I’ll wait to see after a lot more games than just 3 lol.
Of course extrapolating three games for an entire season is not perfect. The potential variability is high. That's not the point though. Just comparison so far.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone noticed that the pick selection is on the injured reserve?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Did this for Kirk in another thread.

Brown on pace for 136/1423/6

Lower rate than Kirk in JAX, but much better than Kirk in AZ.
He’s also getting an immense target share right now. He’s on pace for nearly 200 targets. He’ll move to the back seat when DHop comes back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s also getting an immense target share right now. He’s on pace for nearly 200 targets. He’ll move to the back seat when DHop comes back.

True but last year when DHop was out and Kirk was in the same basic situation, Kirk continued to play the slot because he wasn't able to play outside, and Kirk's numbers weren't as good as Brown's are now.

Kirk is having a great year, Brown is having a very good year(not enough TD's to be great) in a situation where the only other productive receiver is a UDFA in Dortch.

The problem again is all the missed draft picks that forced us to trade for Brown. He's a very good player, IMO he's better so far than Kirk was in this offense. But we're also seeing that if/when D Hop is gone, we're probably going to have to draft or trade for more WR help because Brown does not have the same gravity D Hop does

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
True but last year when DHop was out and Kirk was in the same basic situation, Kirk continued to play the slot because he wasn't able to play outside, and Kirk's numbers weren't as good as Brown's are now.

Kirk is having a great year, Brown is having a very good year(not enough TD's to be great) in a situation where the only other productive receiver is a UDFA in Dortch.

The problem again is all the missed draft picks that forced us to trade for Brown. He's a very good player, IMO he's better so far than Kirk was in this offense. But we're also seeing that if/when D Hop is gone, we're probably going to have to draft or trade for more WR help because Brown does not have the same gravity D Hop does
Kirk played outside in 2 WR sets and moved inside where he was more effective when Green and Wesley were available.

I expect that to happen with Brown also if and when two of Hopkins, Green, and Wesley are available. We’re seeing the same Brown now that he was in Baltimore but he’s getting more volume here because we’re behind all the time.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Reference Brown's TD's. I know the team didn't appeal the play, but it LOOKED to me that he scored, when he made that great catch against LV. Did anyone see it the way I did?

P.S.If I'm his agent I'd count it as a TD, since we scored on the next play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirk played outside in 2 WR sets and moved inside where he was more effective when Green and Wesley were available.

I expect that to happen with Brown also if and when two of Hopkins, Green, and Wesley are available. We’re seeing the same Brown now that he was in Baltimore but he’s getting more volume here because we’re behind all the time.

He's better so far than he was in Baltimore because he still doesn't have an official drop. He had 3 drops in one half in a game in Baltimore last year. I don't think he's a great player he's certainly not a #1 wr but I do think he's better than Kirk.

The real problem right now is Green did nothing and is now hurt and Rondale hasn't even played because he's hurt so our 2nd best WR is Dortch.

I do agree his targets will fall off when D Hop is back. I mentioned it the other day D Hop always lines up on the left, Hollywood has been mostly on the left so far so I assume he will switch to the right. I hope that translates into us being able to attack both sides of the field, so far it seems like most of our offense is throwing left or middle, we got nothing right except when Dortch is over there.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's better so far than he was in Baltimore because he still doesn't have an official drop. He had 3 drops in one half in a game in Baltimore last year. I don't think he's a great player he's certainly not a #1 wr but I do think he's better than Kirk.

The real problem right now is Green did nothing and is now hurt and Rondale hasn't even played because he's hurt so our 2nd best WR is Dortch.

I do agree his targets will fall off when D Hop is back. I mentioned it the other day D Hop always lines up on the left, Hollywood has been mostly on the left so far so I assume he will switch to the right. I hope that translates into us being able to attack both sides of the field, so far it seems like most of our offense is throwing left or middle, we got nothing right except when Dortch is over there.
Is he always throwing to the left because his trusted receiver(s) are to the left? Most of Ertz's catches seem to be to the right...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he always throwing to the left because his trusted receiver(s) are to the left? Most of Ertz's catches seem to be to the right...

I can't find split stats that show left or right but it does appear to me especially in the last game that he was throwing left way more than right. Which is why that first 3rd and 2 play where he never even looked left is so weird

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose