Who Here Is Happy We Extended Kyler?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Maybe not in the next two years. It could take 3.

My point is that it really doesn't make that big of a difference when you consider QB salary in relation to the entire salary cap as a whole.
Super-cool subject change here.

In three years, Kyler's cap number is going to be over $51 million and take up 20% of the cap (per OvertheCap).

Do you feel like that will be a relative value for a maybe-top-10 QB?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super-cool subject change here.

In three years, Kyler's cap number is going to be over $51 million and take up 20% of the cap (per OvertheCap).

Do you feel like that will be a relative value for a maybe-top-10 QB?
The subject is the amount of money we are paying our franchise QB. It isn't a subject change, since the subject stayed the same. :) Maybe a pivot.

20% of the cap is pretty standard for new contract signings for franchise QBs and has been for many years now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

Although I not even sure you could call him average this year.
What do you disagree on? do you think he was GOOD during the back to back collapses the last two seasons?

Do you think he's above average THIS season?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you disagree on? do you think he was GOOD during the back to back collapses the last two seasons?

Do you think he's above average THIS season?
Disagree he wasn't top 10 QB before. I put him around 9 or 10.

He has been BELOW average this.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The subject is the amount of money we are paying our franchise QB. It isn't a subject change, since the subject stayed the same. :) Maybe a pivot.

20% of the cap is pretty standard for new contract signings for franchise QBs and has been for many years now.
Source?

Aaron Rodgers next three years: 13.2%, 13.5%, 15.9%
Kirk Cousins: 15.0%, 16.0%, 4.9%
Derek Carr: 9.3%, 14.9%, 17.1%

Those are the guys who signed extensions this offseason.

Mahomes (17.0%, 20.6%, 17.3%)
Josh Allen (7.8%, 17.6%, 16.3%)
Russell Wilson (7.7%, 9.3%, 13.8%)

Like, did you just think about a different argument and didn't check to see if you were right or accurate?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree he wasn't top 10 QB before. I put him around 9 or 10.

He has been BELOW average this.

gotcha.

I think the problem ranking him is that he's just been so erratically inconsistent the previous two years. The first half of 2020/2021, he was better than top 10. He was arguably top 5 the first half of both seasons, but he was average at best the second half of the seasons. and that's being kind.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Source?

Aaron Rodgers next three years: 13.2%, 13.5%, 15.9%
Kirk Cousins: 15.0%, 16.0%, 4.9%
Derek Carr: 9.3%, 14.9%, 17.1%

Those are the guys who signed extensions this offseason.

Mahomes (17.0%, 20.6%, 17.3%)
Josh Allen (7.8%, 17.6%, 16.3%)
Russell Wilson (7.7%, 9.3%, 13.8%)

Like, did you just think about a different argument and didn't check to see if you were right or accurate?
It was discussed in a thread here somewhere. Some of those numbers a bit skewed. Rodgers is getting 50M per year. 4 of the 6 guys are getting 50 per year.

But you are right. I was a bit off on my number. It is 15-20 and I remembered the '20 part.'

Last edited:

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t understand these arguments. Who cares about in two years? Maybe it will be the right amount, maybe it will be overpaid, maybe it will be underpaid. We don’t know, but we can comment on what’s happening now. And right now he ain’t earning that contract extension, is he?

I dont understand the argument about giving a crap what Kyler makes per year. It's not your money and it doesn't change anything with the team. Keim can't put together an average roster with a QB on a rookie deal so what difference does it make? One less below average plodding RB Keim can over pay?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the argument about giving a crap what Kyler makes per year. It's not your money and it doesn't change anything with the team. Keim can't put together an average roster with a QB on a rookie deal so what difference does it make? One less below average plodding RB Keim can over pay?
it absolutely changes things with the team. There's a thing called the salary... oh, you're making the "it doesn't matter because Keim argument".

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What, what year has he played like a top-10 QB the whole year?
I didn't say that he played like top 10 the whole year. I said he was a #9 or #10 QB last year. No QB plays like they are top 10 the entire year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't say that he played like top 10 the whole year. I said he was a #9 or #10 QB last year. No QB plays like they are top 10 the entire year.
Right? The great almighty Brady just struggled to put up 12 points on GB which does not have a great D no one calling for his head. We put up 12 on a FAR superior defense and we suck iur QB should be fired the coaches should be fired it’s all over blah blah blah!! Relax if it continues maybe some changes will happen with the coaching staff. If they get it corrected and finish the back half of season strong rather than the front half everyone would be happy right?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Right, no QB is going to go without a rough patch or two. No doubt about that. I just don't think you can call a guy a top-10 QB when he sucks for a quarter of the season in one stretch.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't know if this was posted previously, but has anyone discussed WHY KK and KM have gone to the short passing game. IMO, KK recognizes that we have defensive problems, and one way to help the defense is to keep them off the field. A dink and dunk passing game makes for time consuming drives. I don't have the numbers but I believe we held the ball for a good amount of time in the past two games. And would have held it more against the Rams if not for the 'drops'.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Don't know if this was posted previously, but has anyone discussed WHY KK and KM have gone to the short passing game. IMO, KK recognizes that we have defensive problems, and one way to help the defense is to keep them off the field. A dink and dunk passing game makes for time consuming drives. I don't have the numbers but I believe we held the ball for a good amount of time in the past two games. And would have held it more against the Rams if not for the 'drops'.
That’s a hallmark of the Fangio/Staley defense that Leslie Frazier has adapted. It’s compounded by teams playing zone to keep an eye on Kyler if he decided to ru (lol).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, no QB is going to go without a rough patch or two. No doubt about that. I just don't think you can call a guy a top-10 QB when he sucks for a quarter of the season in one stretch.
I do because he was arguably the MVP of the league the first half of the season.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And arguably one of the worst in the league after the first half of the season. That's too Jekyll and Hyde.
Disagree. Bottom 3rd for sure. Worst in the league is emotions. getting in the way.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Disagree. Bottom 3rd for sure. Worst in the league is emotions. getting in the way.
Bottom 3rd is roughly akin to one of the worst in the league, if the other side of the argument is top 10. For me, if you're conceding he played bottom 3rd for half the year, how can he possibly be top 10?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Kyler but it was my go-to strategy in Madden as the Cardinals over many of the dark years of the past. It doesn't matter how good the Steelers' offense is when Kevin Kolb is holding the ball for 15 of the game's 20 minute clock and moving downfield at 4 yards per throw.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom 3rd is roughly akin to one of the worst in the league, if the other side of the argument is top 10. For me, if you're conceding he played bottom 3rd for half the year, how can he possibly be top 10?
Because he was #1 or #2 PLAYER in the NFL for 9 games of the year. The he started not playing as well and then he got injured. Average that out and you get around 9 or 10.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose