Isaiah Simmons

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Keim hired Vance the same reason he hired Mike McCoy. He just goes for names instead of doing a lot of digging for potential gems.

Could you actually picture Keim hiring someone from the Vic Fangio tree like Les Snead/Sean McVay did with Brandon Staley? Or someone like a Demeco Ryans that Shanahan/Lynch hired?

If Keim is still here after the season & Vance is fired, I 100% believe Jack Del Rio will be out next DC after he gets fired from the Commanders.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am not a fan of VJ. But, somehow, the Rams scored just 20 points. We should win games when the oppponent scores 20. Our offense is supposed to be the strength of the team. The D has given up 23 points in the last 6 qtrs. Which seems hard to believe.

What I am saying I guess is we have a bigger problem with OC than DC.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I know the defense is not very good. It has looked terrible. But the last 6 quarters, it's given up less than 4 pts a quarter. And we got one miraculous win and a loss where we scored 12 pts. If our defense holds someone to 20 pts, we should win almost all those games because our offense is supposed to be the strength. It doesn't matter how they look doing it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think Keim hired Vance the same reason he hired Mike McCoy. He just goes for names instead of doing a lot of digging for potential gems.

Could you actually picture Keim hiring someone from the Vic Fangio tree like Les Snead/Sean McVay did with Brandon Staley? Or someone like a Demeco Ryans that Shanahan/Lynch hired?

If Keim is still here after the season & Vance is fired, I 100% believe Jack Del Rio will be out next DC after he gets fired from the Commanders.

It's a real problem with having an incestuous organization where you never bring people in from outside. Keim doesn't have relationships around the NFL where he can talk to coaches or whatever about who the talents are. There's no source for fresh ideas.

Same with Kliff.

Weird how when you bring in someone from the outside like Bruce Arians, you suddenly get a bunch of exciting young coaches in who get hired away from their own networks and can develop additional talent.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly think that's one of the reasons we brought Vance in: we wanted to allocate a bunch of resources to the offense and be adequate with the defensive personnel we had in place. In that first draft he got a corner and DL prospect and both have turned out to be pretty solid. That added to a good group of veterans in Peterson and Budda.

Instead Keim decided he'd get tricky and draft even more positionless defensive players -- first Simmons and then Collins. This was after getting disappointing results with Deone Bucannon and Haason Reddick. So now Vance is stuck with these guys he didn't want or need but is expected to play.

The defense has been the best part of this team every year Vance has been here. I don't understand why he gets the grief he does. People want to get three INTs a game and hold opponents to 0.5 YPC. That's not how the NFL works anymore.

I think Keim made some poor choices yes but I also think we've all seen it week after week since Vance got here. Chandler Jones in coverage repeatedly, Fotu trying to contain the edge. The offense IMO was the strength of this team last year until D Hop got hurt.

this year hard to say, the rams could have easily been up 21-0 or even more in the first half they had a dropped TD and several other self inflicted wounds that had nothing to do with our defense stopping them. I agree Vance did a good job of changing things up in the 2nd half but in the first part of that game they just boatraced us, embarassed us on defense.

My point is I am not sure it matters who we give Vance I think his system confuses players. hard to judge him in Denver he was the HC and had no QB but their defense gave up 382 and 349 points the 2 years he was teh HC, and 318 under Fangio still without a QB(Flacco started half the games). In Miami before and after they were about the same they didn't get better or worse his 2 years as DC there. Everywhere he's been the complaint has been the same his system is too complex. You get too many situations where if you don't get to the QB you have a total mismatch in coverage because of his complex blitzes. Not saying he's had elite talent here and the team has improved every year but there's just too many instances where we look completely outcoached in matchups, the first half of the Rams game and the first half of the Chiefs game being perfect examples.

And again unless someone made him do it, he created a position for Simmons and made him the playcaller on defense and after ONE GAME, he abandoned all that. While it's good he can admit he was wrong about Simmons(apparently) how could he be that wrong about a kid he coached for 2 years?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a real problem with having an incestuous organization where you never bring people in from outside. Keim doesn't have relationships around the NFL where he can talk to coaches or whatever about who the talents are. There's no source for fresh ideas.

Same with Kliff.

Weird how when you bring in someone from the outside like Bruce Arians, you suddenly get a bunch of exciting young coaches in who get hired away from their own networks and can develop additional talent.
I get what you are saying, and I agree with it. But then Kliff was definitely an 'outside guy.'

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Same with Kliff.

Why would you say that Keim doesn’t have relationships with personnel from other teams? He’s a PA guy & has relationships with both the Steelers & Eagles. When BASK routinely came to York, PA to speak at events. I was the only guy there with a Cardinals jersey on, so I always invited to go out afterwards. BASK had a huge PA following. I met some FO people for mostly the Steelers, but Eagles too. BA loved me because my kids went to the same HS he did. It was always fun with BASK.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know the defense is not very good. It has looked terrible. But the last 6 quarters, it's given up less than 4 pts a quarter. And we got one miraculous win and a loss where we scored 12 pts. If our defense holds someone to 20 pts, we should win almost all those games because our offense is supposed to be the strength. It doesn't matter how they look doing it.
I think there has been a certain bit of luck the last two games to keep the opponents points down. Those two hits on Renfrow to force fumbles in OT were great, but what are the odds of the same guy fumbling twice in one drive? Or Stafford and Kupp not connecting on an easy throw and catch? I fully expect those kinds of plays to even out in the coming weeks, which will bring the points allowed from the defense much more in line with their other horrifying stats (last in QB rating against, last in big plays allowed, 4.5 ypc allowed, etc).

And the offense has tons of problems, too. Just want to make sure I am not putting too much blame on the D. This whole team is messed up.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Kliff has been in the league long enough to make connections. If Vance gets fired he'd bring in his own guy. Maybe someone from the Rams staff.
If Vance goes, give me this dude.

Bobby Babich

Attachments

• bobby_babich.pdf
    111.7 KB · Views: 4

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why would you say that Keim doesn’t have relationships with personnel from other teams? He’s a PA guy & has relationships with both the Steelers & Eagles. When BASK routinely came to York, PA to speak at events. I was the only guy there with a Cardinals jersey on, so I always invited to go out afterwards. BASK had a huge PA following. I met some FO people for mostly the Steelers, but Eagles too. BA loved me because my kids went to the same HS he did. It was always fun with BASK.
Because he’s worked for the Cardinals since 1999? Like, congrats for heading back to your hometown from time to time, but that’s not really developing a professional network across multiple organizations.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think Keim made some poor choices yes but I also think we've all seen it week after week since Vance got here. Chandler Jones in coverage repeatedly, Fotu trying to contain the edge. The offense IMO was the strength of this team last year until D Hop got hurt.

this year hard to say, the rams could have easily been up 21-0 or even more in the first half they had a dropped TD and several other self inflicted wounds that had nothing to do with our defense stopping them. I agree Vance did a good job of changing things up in the 2nd half but in the first part of that game they just boatraced us, embarassed us on defense.

My point is I am not sure it matters who we give Vance I think his system confuses players. hard to judge him in Denver he was the HC and had no QB but their defense gave up 382 and 349 points the 2 years he was teh HC, and 318 under Fangio still without a QB(Flacco started half the games). In Miami before and after they were about the same they didn't get better or worse his 2 years as DC there. Everywhere he's been the complaint has been the same his system is too complex. You get too many situations where if you don't get to the QB you have a total mismatch in coverage because of his complex blitzes. Not saying he's had elite talent here and the team has improved every year but there's just too many instances where we look completely outcoached in matchups, the first half of the Rams game and the first half of the Chiefs game being perfect examples.

And again unless someone made him do it, he created a position for Simmons and made him the playcaller on defense and after ONE GAME, he abandoned all that. While it's good he can admit he was wrong about Simmons(apparently) how could he be that wrong about a kid he coached for 2 years?
Ding
Ding
Ding

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
This seems to be Hassan Reddick all over again. With the size and speed that Simmons has why isn’t he rushing the QB? He is with out a doubt the most athletic guy we have. I would have him shooting the gaps inside and flat out coming off the edge outside. He should have a minimum of 10 sacks a year and he doesn’t have to know **** other than where he’s supposed to rush.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He cant be any worse than the current set of pass rushers we have seen so far. Just wish VJ would play him at weak side LB and live with it. Simplify his role and turn him loose

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This seems to be Hassan Reddick all over again. With the size and speed that Simmons has why isn’t he rushing the QB? He is with out a doubt the most athletic guy we have. I would have him shooting the gaps inside and flat out coming off the edge outside. He should have a minimum of 10 sacks a year and he doesn’t have to know **** other than where he’s supposed to rush.

He cant be any worse than the current set of pass rushers we have seen so far. Just wish VJ would play him at weak side LB and live with it. Simplify his role and turn him loose
This isn’t Haason Reddick all over again because Reddick showed that he was a great pass-rusher in college. The big bozo GM moved him to ILB because he can’t get over his Daryl Washington fetish.

Simmons was never like that in college. He is not the type to beat a tackle off the edge. Zaven is closer to that if anything.

Just give it up, guys.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
That’s what needs to be done. Turn the young guys loose that have his kind of talent.
This isn’t Haason Reddick all over again because Reddick showed that he was a great pass-rusher in college. The big bozo GM moved him to ILB because he can’t get over his Daryl Washington fetish.

Simmons was never like that in college. He is not the type to beat a tackle off the edge. Zaven is closer to that if anything.

Just give it up, guys.
if I were coaching him he would have at least 10 to 15 sacks a year. We have an idiot for a DC is the problem. Vance would have Reggie White back in coverage. Simmons has elite skills not just good. He’s 6-4 around 245-250 and has run in the 4.3 to 4.4 range. That’s insane for someone that size.

Any coach with half a brain would have a player like that on the field day one. He can cover a RB 1 out of 4 plays the rest passrush and play the run. That’s how you play a rookie or young player. You don’t ask him to learn a complex defensive scheme. If VJ had a clue he would be playing them to their strengths to get them on the field.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just give it up, guys.
Is it weird that I still have a D-Wash fetish?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we are too quick to blame coaching as we dont want to admit the roster sucks. How do we know ‘turning isiah lose’ is the solution? The only evidence we have of coaching limiting a player is Reddick. Btw, Reddick did not get big money and hasnt done anything this year.