Suns Off-season Thread

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jae Crowder is as underrated by Suns fans as Kurt Thomas was.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
5 MONTHS ago this appeared to be as close knit a Suns team as I could remember. Now they appear completely broken...just crazy.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Monty has some serious explaining to do.
They already asked him and his response was - Well, there are a lot of players I haven't talked to. I try and stay up top and just observe when they are working out in the summer.

Yeah, this worries me a bit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They already asked him and his response was - Well, there are a lot of players I haven't talked to. I try and stay up top and just observe when they are working out in the summer.

Yeah, this worries me a bit.
it's just bizarre behavior. ignoring problems doesn't usually make them better. and it was blatantly obvious after the season there were glaring problems. I mean, Monty literally stated he benched Ayton in a Game...

eh, I'm quickly getting to the point of who cares. The Suns look like they're following the Cardinals blue-print to a T. Look spectacular most of the season, end the season in a bit of a downer, get HUMILIATED in the playoffs... then decide to run the exact same team back, only not as deep and missing two key players from last year with no one brought in to replace them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Monty has some serious explaining to do.
What the actual hell??? If that doesn't give credence to the story of Monty telling him to go back in and Ayton refused? I am not sure what does. Obviously, they have some issues to resolve.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it's just bizarre behavior. ignoring problems doesn't usually make them better. and it was blatantly obvious after the season there were glaring problems. I mean, Monty literally stated he benched Ayton in a Game...

eh, I'm quickly getting to the point of who cares. The Suns look like they're following the Cardinals blue-print to a T. Look spectacular most of the season, end the season in a bit of a downer, get HUMILIATED in the playoffs... then decide to run the exact same team back, only not as deep and missing two key players from last year with no one brought in to replace them.
They also asked Ayton if he hoped to talk to monty about the fight, and Ayton just said - I'm here.

They also asked Ayton if he was happy and he said - Eh, I'm all right.

This is confirming my worst fears that Ayton did not want to come back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also asked Ayton if he hoped to talk to monty about the fight, and Ayton just said - I'm here.

yeah... I'm thinking once that deadline passes for us to move him, he's gone. especially if the team is kinda scuffling.

I also do not expect Ayton to play "mad" and be a beast. I think he's going to be "here" and drive everyone crazy.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah... I'm thinking once that deadline passes for us to move him, he's gone. especially if the team is kinda scuffling.

I also do not expect Ayton to play "mad" and be a beast. I think he's going to be "here" and drive everyone crazy.
ya, he's gonna average like 11 points and 7 rebounds and .2 free throws.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ya, he's gonna average like 11 points and 7 rebounds and .2 free throws.
Actually I don't think it will go that way. Supossedly part of the fight was Ayton saying something like I can't make them throw me the ball after Monty told him he had quit on the team.

Then today they asked him what do you want to tell Monty he said - I will show him.

I think he is going to go off, and might decide screw the system I'm going to get mine. Which might up his trade value, but will probably totally destroy team success.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I am really confused by Crowder's behavior. Is this about him being in trade rumors? Is he mad about Cam potentially being promoted to a full-time starter? Did something happen that I missed?

I wonder if this is related to Game 7 against the Mavericks, when Crowder came out super-aggressive and shot like 0-13 in the first quarter, after which the game was over. Maybe there was a spat in the locker room beforehand about who was psychologically ready to play, or who was ready to give up, and Crowder made a stink about how he wasn't a quitter, and daggum he was jus' gonna show everyone that he weren't no quitter. And then he proceeded to shoot the Suns out of the playoffs, and that hasn't exactly sat well.

Just a hypothesis.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Williams is gone by Thanksgiving. The new owners will see that the Ayton-Williams relationship is beyond repair, they'll know that Williams is easier to replace, and they'll be willing to eat the salary.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I don't think it will go that way. Supossedly part of the fight was Ayton saying something like I can't make them throw me the ball after Monty told him he had quit on the team.

Then today they asked him what do you want to tell Monty he said - I will show him.

I think he is going to go off, and might decide screw the system I'm going to get mine. Which might up his trade value, but will probably totally destroy team success.
ayton doesn't have a "go off" motor. or at least he's never shown one to this point of his career. i'll be surprised if it happens this season.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i don't think this confirms that Ayton didn't want to come back
but that he probably did dread coming back and dealing with Monty
(a typical family fight scenario)

i'm disappointed in Monty
it's his responsiblity to be the adult in the room and smooth things out for the good of the team

this kind of thing is nothing new for coaches in the NBA with so many stars to deal with.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ayton doesn't have a "go off" motor. or at least he's never shown one to this point of his career. i'll be surprised if it happens this season.
If Ayton improves this year like he has every year he isn't going anywhere unless the team is in a spiral and gets bounced early in the playoffs. If anything James Jones has proven that unless there is going to be value he isn't going to make a move to make a move. That means a team would have to be desperate for Ayton and offer a deal he couldn't refuse in the next offseason.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo said he just got a message from the Mavericks that they are not interested in Jae Crowder, so he said take them off the list.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Williams is gone by Thanksgiving. The new owners will see that the Ayton-Williams relationship is beyond repair, they'll know that Williams is easier to replace, and they'll be willing to eat the salary.
How long does it ussally take to sale a basketball team or pro team? I think next year hopefully or Saver will sit on it until he makes even more money.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How long does it ussally take to sale a basketball team or pro team? I think next year hopefully or Saver will sit on it until he makes even more money.
If there is actually a lot of interest in the team, and their probably is, I expect a sale within 2-3 months.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
No way... by all reports which were certainly validated by the Suns lack of offering DA a contract and merely matched the offer he received, the Suns don't want Ayton. They were trying to grab Sabonis...
DA will be gone come mid/late January...