Who Here Is Happy We Extended Kyler?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's a good one who cannot multitask being a head coach, pure and simple. The downfall of Kingsbury is game management, and it affects the whole outcome of his games. If this team hired Marvin freaking Lewis as head coach, I would be happy because Kliff's game management skills erode his train of thought and hence the teams' ability... Kliff cannot multitask
I see very little that convinced me his play design is all that unique. His play sequencing leaves a lot to be desired. He tries to get tricky when simplicity is working. He fails to maximize individual players abilities. He doesn’t incorporate simple NFL actions to complicate defensive reads. Frankly, I think he sucks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I see very little that convinced me his play design is all that unique. His play sequencing leaves a lot to be desired. He tries to get tricky when simplicity is working. He fails to maximize individual players abilities. He doesn’t incorporate simple NFL actions to complicate defensive reads. Frankly, I think he sucks.
Running that Wildcat on Sunday was utterly mystifying.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running that Wildcat on Sunday was utterly mystifying.
They have done it several times this year but the last one was the first time it didn't get positive yards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They have done it several times this year but the last one was the first time it didn't get positive yards.
Positive yards IMO isn’t as important as success rate and I don’t think the earlier runs were successful at keeping us on schedule.

Even if so, a good result doesn’t excuse a bad process. Kyler is allegedly a threat to run that opponents have to account for. Removing him from the equation makes the offense easier to defend.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Positive yards IMO isn’t as important as success rate and I don’t think the earlier runs were successful at keeping us on schedule.

Even if so, a good result doesn’t excuse a bad process. Kyler is allegedly a threat to run that opponents have to account for. Removing him from the equation makes the offense easier to defend.
Who determines success rate? I would think all of the other wildcats would have been considered successful. I remember them getting 5+ yards.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who determines success rate? I would think all of the other wildcats would have been considered successful. I remember them getting 5+ yards.

• Success Rate (running backs): A measure of running back consistency based on the percentage of carries where the player gains 40% of needed yards on first down, 60% of needed yards on second down, or 100% of needed yards on third or fourth down. Small adjustment in fourth quarter based on whether team is more than a touchdown behind or running out the clock. A running back above 50% is very consistent; below 40% is very inconsistent. More here.

It doesn't look like the official play by play on Pro Football Reference notes direct snaps.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

ESPECIALLY in goal to go. Dont eliminate the one threat the entire defense is keyed on.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Cards played a lot of 12 personnel vs a Rams D that regularly played 4 down linemen and 2 LBs -- and generally failed in the running game against it. so -- back 5 can play coverage full time.

the Rams D was the ultimate bend but dont break as a result (especially with the lead): try all the 4-8 yard passes you want -- eventually you wont complete enough in a row for a first down or a TD.

While he could have been better -- Kyler more or less played what a lot of people have been preaching: take the sure thing.

This is the same defensive philosophy the Cards have been facing from last half of 2021, with similar results.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
is it really fair to judge Murray when he's throwing to a bunch of no names?
He has a receiver that not one, but TWO, teams spent a first round pick on. He’s got Connor who everyone raved about as a receiver. He’s got a top flight receiving tightend.
Yes, I am ecstatic we did. It will be at a discount cost for a “franchise” QB as the contract matures. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not even in the top 8, maybe 10 highest paid QBs by 2024 season. If I were Kyler though I’d start speaking up regarding things needing to change of his voice isn’t being heard internally.
we added two of his buddies (ford and Hollywood) th offseason and drafted pass catchers with second round picks for years (kirk, Isabella, Moore, TE who can’t get in the field).

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You actually think he's trying to drive positive change internally and be that kind of leader? I think he's more than happy to cash his huge new pay checks and rely on his athleticism to bail him out. He has no heart. He proved that this week. None. He is what he is, and that's a run of the mill QB with million-dollar athleticism, poor study habits, and a 1-cent heart.
I honestly don’t think he’s heartless. I think he’s just not very smart. I also think he had so much success early on that he never really learned how much more he needs to do to excel at this level. He had a peek with the Alabama game in college. And then he some immediate success at the NFL level which again allowed him to become complacent. I think the contract extension did that again. He needs to develop better self-awareness and realize he has a lot of work to do if he wants to win - which I truly believe he desires.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the Cards played a lot of 12 personnel vs a Rams D that regularly played 4 down linemen and 2 LBs -- and generally failed in the running game against it. so -- back 5 can play coverage full time.

the Rams D was the ultimate bend but dont break as a result (especially with the lead): try all the 4-8 yard passes you want -- eventually you wont complete enough in a row for a first down or a TD.

While he could have been better -- Kyler more or less played what a lot of people have been preaching: take the sure thing.

This is the same defensive philosophy the Cards have been facing from last half of 2021, with similar results.

The running game is the key in my view.

If a team wants to play 2 deep all day long, you run the ball down their throats until they are forced to bring a safety into the box. Then you go deep.

Kliff just doesn't seem to be willing to change anything about his offense or game plan no matter what. It's the same exact thing every week. I actually don't believe that our offensive or defensive coaches actually scout our opponents and create a game plan to attack their weaknesses. They just keep trying to preach "execution" of the same few concepts that every other team knows is coming.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In 2 years, he will be a top 15 paid QB.
I don’t understand these arguments. Who cares about in two years? Maybe it will be the right amount, maybe it will be overpaid, maybe it will be underpaid. We don’t know, but we can comment on what’s happening now. And right now he ain’t earning that contract extension, is he?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand these arguments. Who cares about in two years? Maybe it will be the right amount, maybe it will be overpaid, maybe it will be underpaid. We don’t know, but we can comment on what’s happening now. And right now he ain’t earning that contract extension, is he?
It isn't an argument, but an observation. When franchise QBs re-sign a new contract, they don't sign for top 15 money, they sign for top 5 money. It is the way that it is. Maybe fans don't like it when it comes out because it becomes a jawdropping number.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Exactly. We also have never thrown it from wildcat. So the defense knows Conner is going to run. He’s slow to begin with. And He was operating on a bum ankle. The sheer stupidity of the call is beyond me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It isn't an argument, but an observation. When franchise QBs re-sign a new contract, they don't sign for top 15 money, they sign for top 5 money. It is the way that it is. Maybe fans don't like it when it comes out because it becomes a jawdropping number.
Typically the guys that get top 3 money at least play like top 10 guys. That ain’t what we are getting. Again who cares about in two years. We can discuss that then.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But dortch has made up for his production.

And whether Moore was capable of upping his game is really just conjecture at this point.
Has he made up for Hopkins or Greens too? Dortch has definitely picked up some slack, but not everyone's. It definitely isn't easy to quantify that Dortch has only been playing the snaps that would have gone to Moore.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler was playing like top 10 before this year.
Kyler played like top 10 for half of last season and half of the season before. And then fell flat on his face in the second half of both seasons.

So far, he's been average at best this year.

Reality is, he's never played an entire season where he's looked top 10, IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like @kerouac9 has dispelled this fable. eventually yes, but not enough high end QBs coming up in the next two years to make that leap.

You just can't go from 3rd to 15th without 12 other players getting paid more than you and that isn't happening in two years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler played like top 10 for half of last season and half of the season before. And then fell flat on his face in the second half of both seasons.

So far, he's been average at best this year.

Reality is, he's never played an entire season where he's looked top 10, IMO.
I disagree.

Although I not even sure you could call him average this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like @kerouac9 has dispelled this fable. eventually yes, but not enough high end QBs coming up in the next two years to make that leap.

You just can't go from 3rd to 15th without 12 other players getting paid more than you and that isn't happening in two years.
Maybe not in the next two years. It could take 3.

My point is that it really doesn't make that big of a difference when you consider QB salary in relation to the entire salary cap as a whole.