Arizona Cardinals @ Carolina Panthers Pregame Thread. 9/26/22-10/02/22

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Some of thats on Kyler. Some of that is on our Oline.

Our pass blocking was worse in 2020, but seemed to be really good for those Kyler runs. Our pass blocking has better much better since last year. Kyler didnt run very well during our 7-0 start.

However something has to change without Hopkins. I think not just Kyler, but I'd like us to just say screw it and run the ball 40 times. Field is going to be crap anyway. Just use all 3 backs and Kyler in the run game, set up some play action and find a way to win 2 of the next 3 games.

Hard times SoonerLou. For 10 of 12 quarters Murray looks less dynamic this year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's probably going to be a mud track on Sunday as they expect hurricane Ian to drop several inches of rain here (I'm in Charlotte now) on Friday/Saturday so the field is going to be soggy. That will make a slow Connor even slower.
Actually that may serve as an equalizer. Mud should be more difficult for a scar back because the footing is not good for cuts. A plodder doesn’t need the footing as much. Mud favors Connor over mccaffrey.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We do not beat Carolina, they have our number. McCaffrey will run rampant on us, be a top receiver against us and vice versa. Just like Cooper Kupp. Mind blowing that Vance Joseph does not make an ample attempt prior to these games to blanket the one guy the whole universe knows will be our downfall during the game. We are the Cardinals, we will lose to the freaking Panthers, but in some ugly fashion beat the Eagles, which makes no sense at all

To be fair, Kupp only had 4 completions for 44 yds on Sunday.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard times SoonerLou. For 10 of 12 quarters Murray looks less dynamic this year.
I don’t buy that it’s an indictment of Murray. We’re 3 games in, and we have 11 dropped passes & it‘s more than obvious that the NFL has figured out KK’s system & he can’t counter. The only sustained drives we have are because Kyler escapes 2-3 tacklers & creates some crazy play. Hopkins is so missed because the dude does 3 things extremely well. He knows how to find holes in the zone defenses that teams almost always play against us now, he catches the damn ball, and he moves the chains. He creates rhythm & this offense thrives on rhythm. With Hop out there, teams cannot ALWAYS play a zone, and that opens up far more passing lanes & gives Murray more room to use his legs when the opportunity presents itself. Without the dropped passes last week, we would have scored at least 2 touchdowns & Murray would have thrown for 400 yards. Bottom line, teams have figured out that KK’s offense without Hop CANNOT beat a zone. And until we figure out how to do that AND catch the damn ball, then Murray’s legs are minimized. This is on KK getting schooled by the defensive schemes of the NFL and not being creative enough to counter.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I know I posted this last week, but the issue is that teams are getting guys open quick and guys aren't finishing even though they are beating blocks.

The Rams only pressured Murray 7 times in like 50 something drop backs, so the OL did their job.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McCaffrey will run for 150 yards & catch at least one touchdown. Unless, of course, he gets hurt. Then his replacement will get that. Carolina owns us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is one good thing about this game, and this is all I can come up with.

I don't have to say up late to watch this one. I can be miserable in normal hours.

There is some hope. Kyler has never been beaten by Baker. It does seem to wake Kyler up out of his sad sack slumber.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I don’t buy that it’s an indictment of Murray. We’re 3 games in, and we have 11 dropped passes & it‘s more than obvious that the NFL has figured out KK’s system & he can’t counter. The only sustained drives we have are because Kyler escapes 2-3 tacklers & creates some crazy play. Hopkins is so missed because the dude does 3 things extremely well. He knows how to find holes in the zone defenses that teams almost always play against us now, he catches the damn ball, and he moves the chains. He creates rhythm & this offense thrives on rhythm. With Hop out there, teams cannot ALWAYS play a zone, and that opens up far more passing lanes & gives Murray more room to use his legs when the opportunity presents itself. Without the dropped passes last week, we would have scored at least 2 touchdowns & Murray would have thrown for 400 yards. Bottom line, teams have figured out that KK’s offense without Hop CANNOT beat a zone. And until we figure out how to do that AND catch the damn ball, then Murray’s legs are minimized. This is on KK getting schooled by the defensive schemes of the NFL and not being creative enough to counter.

I generally agree with you PACardfan, and the stats bare out how Hop transforms the offense (and Murray). He's a great YAC guy, which we're sorely lacking right now.

And yes, there have been lots of drops, and our WR Corp is pretty awful. Our entire (currently available) skill position group outside of Murray is questionable.

But my eyes tell me Murray is a little off so far this year. I could be wrong.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If it happens at all during the season, it would be week 10 at the very earliest. MB will give them a few games with DHop, to see if they can salvage anything.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He just got a 5 year extension. The chance of his getting fired THIS season is zero unless he kills or sexually assaults someone.
I dunno. He got an extension but you imagine that his assistants are pretty inexpensive. Michael just got out from under the cost of Wilks' staff.

I'd guess the entire defensive staff is not under contract for 2023. You're probably paying Kliff as a bottom five coach (or at least somewhere in the middle) -- they certainly didn't release his salary updates.

One could imagine eating Kliff's deal if this season really ends in catastrophe. It would probably have to be like 5-12.

It's kind of fascinating that there's so much doom and gloom on the board right now. We're 1-2. Those games don't feel great, but this team didn't work much or much together in the preseason. It's not outside the realm of possibility that guys start working together and this ship gets righted.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
ask yourself this--- Did MB go into this season with the roster constructed as it is and expect to win more than 8 games?

If he did he is overly optimistic.

Ill say it again--- the team is unofficially punting on this season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ask yourself this--- Did MB go into this season with the roster constructed as it is and expect to win more than 8 games?

If he did he is overly optimistic.

Ill say it again--- the team is unofficially punting on this season.
Eight games? I would hope so. We won 11 games last year with a pretty equivalent roster plus some young players (Simmons, Collins, Moore, Marco Wilson) hopefully got significantly better.

That was always the optimistic realist point of view.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eight games? I would hope so. We won 11 games last year with a pretty equivalent roster plus some young players (Simmons, Collins, Moore, Marco Wilson) hopefully got significantly better.

That was always the optimistic realist point of view.
Exactly. It isn't like this team was completely gutted and we traded everyone away for draft picks. This team is probably a little worse, but even that is arguable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose