Isaiah Simmons

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This explains what I suspected. He has an issue with work ethic and discipline. He looked absolutely dejected yesterday until the play in overtime. Hopefully he learns his lesson and moves forward with a better effort

Can you tell me please when you saw him look dejected?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said earlier, simplify his role.
Agreed. It’s like they’re actively TRYING to make this rocket science for a guy who doesn’t possess the skills yet to navigate that level of responsibility.

I’ve given VJ somewhat of a break this season because I think Keim set him up to fail with the pass rush and CBs issues, but this is where he’s totally at fault.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This is small sample size theatre to an extreme degree:

Simmons blitzed 55 times in over 1000 snaps last season.
Simmons blitzed 3 times in 76 snaps this year so far.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is one of the issues Simmons has against the Rams is they have so much misdirection and scheming to get mismatches he seems to get confused. So we're putting slower less athletic guys in that spot who understand it but can't do it over a guy who might be able to do it, but doesn't seem to understand it.

Now if he were defending OUR offense it would be a picnic you know where the lineup is going to be and who's going where. He would be the Rams LB sitting on the short pass to Ertz on 4th down that they stopped because they had that sniffed out pre snap exactly where we were going
Note as Dvontel has said exact same route, Brown to the sideline, Ertz to the middle it was the exact same route on the 4th down they both ran on the 3rd and 2 the first drive, it was just that the Rams had it sniffed out and they got enough pressure that when Kyler couldn't throw to Ertz, coming off to go to Brown didn't work.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The irony is one of the issues Simmons has against the Rams is they have so much misdirection and scheming to get mismatches he seems to get confused. So we're putting slower less athletic guys in that spot who understand it but can't do it over a guy who might be able to do it, but doesn't seem to understand it.
Russ I’m going to speak the truth here on this issue which magnifies the issue even bigger imo.

How many times do we see our DBs & LBs confused in pass coverage, particularly in zone? Guys running wide open, or 10 yards from a defender? Often!!! To me that speaks volumes more on Blowseph than in does Simmons or other guys on this defense. Sure we’re both the most talented, but this has been going on for most of the 3 years he’s been here! Plug in another guy & you get much of the same results! Too many EASY throws for the NFL level imo.

All we heard leading up to the season was Simmons was going to call the defense & wear the green dot! And that changed after 1 game? Lol. He either knew the calls or he didn’t, which to me is a poor reflection on Blowseph giving him those responsibilities if he couldn’t perform them. Why did the DC make that call going into week 1 if he was lost? That’s on Vance 100%!!! He’s a piss poor DC imo

It’s a damn shame this DC cannot figure out how to use this talented kid!!! And to barely play him over guys who should rarely see the field? Come on Coach you suck & it’s time for him too go!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Serious question because I just don't know, he was touted as a freak coming out of college and alot of people in the media loved this kid, so is it VJ? Simmons? Both? i just can't tell

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Serious question because I just don't know, he was touted as a freak coming out of college and alot of people in the media loved this kid, so is it VJ? Simmons? Both? i just can't tell
I don't know that it is that easy. Like most things, it starts with Keim.

Keim drafted a non-read-and-react LB to be a read-and-react LB. Keim drafted an unconventional defensive player for a DC who doesn't use unconventional players.

So, Keim drafted a player to be a different type of player than what got him drafted. Then Vance chooses to remain rigid in how he uses Simmons instead of tweaking his system to make it simpler for a raw, young player. instead of choosing to give him reps and weather the learning curve, Vance decides to bench Simmons. We see where this has gotten with his development.

Finally, Simmons has been unable to develop into a read-and-react LB despite multiple years of training to do so. Some of it has to be on him but it's like 10%.

This was destined to fail from the beginning because it continued the trend of drafting players and putting them in situations to fail vs succeed.

What I refuse to believe is that a competent DC couldn't find a way to utilize an athlete the caliber of Isaiah Simmons. Aside from everything, that is where I put it all on Vance. Even if it is a sub package, walk around LB who just blitzes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Keim drafted a non-read-and-react LB to be a read-and-react LB. Keim drafted an unconventional defensive player for a DC who doesn't use unconventional players.

So, Keim drafted a player to be a different type of player than what got him drafted. Then Vance chooses to remain rigid in how he uses Simmons instead of tweaking his system to make it simpler for a raw, young player. instead of choosing to give him reps and weather the learning curve, Vance decides to bench Simmons. We see where this has gotten with his development.

Finally, Simmons has been unable to develop into a read-and-react LB despite multiple years of training to do so. Some of it has to be on him but it's like 10%.

This was destined to fail from the beginning because it continued the trend of drafting players and putting them in situations to fail vs succeed.

What I refuse to believe is that a competent DC couldn't find a way to utilize an athlete the caliber of Isaiah Simmons. Aside from everything, that is where I put it all on Vance. Even if it is a sub package, walk around LB who just blitzes.
It's funny that Keim's wet dream is two big, fast ILBs mugging the A-gap and pressuring the QB up the middle. He hand-selected a DC known for his pressure packages but tends to run two-gap blitzes (where it looks like most if not all players are running directly at a blocker at full speed) and does not pressure the A-gap.

His pressures always seem to come off the outside shoulder of a guard or even off-tackle.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

Ahh very good analysis, makes it much easier to understand what's going on

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score

I wonder how Hassan Reddick is doing these days. This feels like a similar situation.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am watching Micah Parsons in the MNF game and wondering why Simmons can't be used like this. On 3rd and longs he is a pass rusher. Physically, Simmons and Parsons have a lot in common. If Simmons is such a liability as LB in coverage, then don't have him do that. Speed rush or stunt. That's not too complicated.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am watching Micah Parsons in the MNF game and wondering why Simmons can't be used like this. On 3rd and longs he is a pass rusher. Physically, Simmons and Parsons have a lot in common. If Simmons is such a liability as LB in coverage, then don't have him do that. Speed rush or stunt. That's not too complicated.
Because Simmons has nowhere near the twitch, power, or repertoire that Parsons has. Nowhere near.

You would have a much better case believing Zaven could try to do the stuff Micah does then Simmons.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because Simmons has nowhere near the twitch, power, or repertoire that Parsons has. Nowhere near.

You would have a much better case believing Zaven could try to do the stuff Micah does then Simmons.
I disagree. You overstate it.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Pretty much what I said & totally agree with. It’s just mind blowing that people think Blowseph is good at his craft.

I also believe he & Kliff are also not very good teachers either. And then you combine that with poor schematic playbooks & you have a recipe for mediocrity at best.

Buckybird

Reaction score

Agree, but we will never see those potential skills used given VJs simplistic blitz schemes. Where’s the creativity? It’s almost the same blitz package everytime...Budda or Jalen off the edge & very little else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose