Chandler Jones to the Raiders

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no measure that supports the contention that VJ has 'failed miserably' at his job.
In my lifetime, the Cardinals have had a bad defense about 90% of the time. Outside of a couple of seasons in the 60's & the Ray Horton/Todd Bowles's tenures, every DC we've ever had failed miserably. VJ is no exception.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In my lifetime, the Cardinals have had a bad defense about 90% of the time. Outside of a couple of seasons in the 60's & the Ray Horton/Todd Bowles's tenures, every DC we've ever had failed miserably. VJ is no exception.
Eric Swann playoff run, best defense I have seen other than dockett years

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eric Swann playoff run, best defense I have seen other than dockett years
What playoff run would that have been with Swann? When healthy, Swann was a beast, but he was injured in 98. And that D was a far cry from good. They gave up 40 twice & over 30 another 5 times. And we had a super easy schedule that year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really impressed with Buddy Ryans’s defense in 1994. That was a dominating defense.
Yes, the 94 D was a good one. With Buddy at the helm, you just knew the offense would stink though. And by 95, both the offense & defense was awful.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He's been listening to too much Ice Spice... or smoking it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
They have spent 2 3rd round picks and a high 2nd round pick. It isn't like we haven't done anything...
Draft picks are nice, but last year I think we were allegedly trying, right? The idea that a couple of 3rd rounders would be able to replace the production of Jones was obviously flawed.

Hard to run an effective defense when you have no above average pass rushers and nobody established. We're just running #'s out there and hoping. I'm hoping that some of the young guys on the D-line pan out, but with no Watt or any other leadership there are certainly concerns.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Draft picks are nice, but last year I think we were allegedly trying, right? The idea that a couple of 3rd rounders would be able to replace the production of Jones was obviously flawed.

Hard to run an effective defense when you have no above average pass rushers and nobody established. We're just running #'s out there and hoping. I'm hoping that some of the young guys on the D-line pan out, but with no Watt or any other leadership there are certainly concerns.
Except that maybe 1, if that is available in free agency that can give you the production that Jones typically gave us. Most teams don't let them go away. (unless you are the Cards with Reddick) We got really lucky by acquiring Jones by trade in the first place.

So the draft is really the best way to do it.