Suns Off-season Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I think Herro is the better player so I would not be totally opposed to this.
Probably. And I'd gladly trade Shamet and a pick or two for him to back up Booker and maybe even play some SF when we go small. But no way do I trade him for CJ unless we already have a PF solution inbound.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I think Herro is the better player so I would not be totally opposed to this.
He is notorious selfish and disinterested in defending. I know a lot of hyperbole gets thrown around when talking about bad defenders but he is famously terrible on defense. There are endless articles and breakdowns showing just how awful he is on that side of the ball.

He also thinks he should get a max deal. Miami has been shopping him for a year, I think Riley wants to get rid of him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is notorious selfish and disinterested in defending. I know a lot of hyperbole gets thrown around when talking about bad defenders but he is famously terrible on defense. There are endless articles and breakdowns showing just how awful he is on that side of the ball.

He also thinks he should get a max deal. Miami has been shopping him for a year, I think Riley wants to get rid of him.
I wasn't aware of any of this. I know he doesn't bring much to the table other than scoring but it sounds like we'd be better off pursuing Clarkson. He has many of the same issues but I haven't heard anything about him expecting max money. But come to think of it, I'm as ignorant about Utah as I am about Miami, they are two teams I only watch or read about when I'm almost forced to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The obvious implication of not wanting to read about the Heat is that you dislike them. As a request for information, why? What's unlikeable about them?
I don't like the way they dirty the game up, I don't like the moving screens, the hip checks and all the other things they routinely get away with. It hasn't been as bad with Riley in the office instead of on the bench but as long as he's there, they'll remain way down on my list of teams to watch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Jazz...I guess I could understand finding them a bore. They haven't been anywhere near a championship in almost 25 years; and what's happened with them this summer gives me the impression that since Stockton and Malone left, every good player the Jazz find will go somewhere else at the first opportunity. Someone in the media claimed that Donovan Mitchell long wanted to get out. And now Ainge came in and chose to blow the team up.
Rudy Gobert had been with the team for 9 years, so I'm not sure your theory of every good player will leave at the "first opportunity."

The Jazz, while not exciting, reminded me of the Suns as far as their longevity was concerned. Always a playoff team, but rarely a contender. I don't think players wanted to jump ship at the first opportunity, especially since they have always had a good culture and had Jerry Sloan and Quin Snyder as the coaches.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz...I guess I could understand finding them a bore. They haven't been anywhere near a championship in almost 25 years; and what's happened with them this summer gives me the impression that since Stockton and Malone left, every good player the Jazz find will go somewhere else at the first opportunity. Someone in the media claimed that Donovan Mitchell long wanted to get out. And now Ainge came in and blew the team up, choosing to trade both Mitchell and Gobert.

I find any such team to be in a very difficult position: if no one good wants to play for them, what are they supposed to do.
It's not that I find them boring. But going back to the Sloan days, you knew when your team went to Utah you were going to get hosed by the referees. It's like their entire fan base has been trained from birth on how to influence officiating and it's not subtle either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would blame that more on the officials for allowing arena fans to intimidate and/or influence them. Kind of like how, with flopping, I got bored of despising floppers and started instead blaming the league for not punishing it.
You try refereeing 10 high level athletes, each trying to decieve you into making the wrong call or not making a call at all. Angles keep them from seeing so much, they've always relied (at times) on the reactions of players, bench personnel and the crowd to help them make their calls. Red Auerbach, took advantage of that Jerry Sloan, Chuck Daly and Pat Riley took it to another level.

I don't know how anyone can blame the officials for flopping? The referees talked the league into finally cracking down on it but the league only put in half measures and then quickly walked them back when Silver came in.

Sometimes it's obvious and the refs call it. But it's almost impossible to judge intent during the flow of the game; unless the league is willing to review all games, all plays and then severely punish each transgression, we're stuck with the single worst aspect of modern basketball. And the punishment has to hit the franchise hard in the wallet and perhaps draft picks - they'll never get anything done because you have to have a lot of proof to take money from a player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could sure use Duane Washington Jr. turning into a contributor this season especially with all the ownership turmoil.

He is on a two-way contract.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns could sure use Duane Washington Jr. turning into a contributor this season especially with all the ownership turmoil.

He is on a two-way contract.

Man he doesn’t look like pro baller . . .

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully he helps Josh Okogie learn to shoot. I have high hopes for him.

Booker has grown, year after year, expanding his game in all directions, like no player I've ever rooted for... that said. He doesn't seem like much of a teacher, Suns players have joked about how bad of a coach he would likely be because he has no patience for failure.

Okogie might improve as a shooter, he might not, but I don't see Booker as soothsayer in the process.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that photoshop? Man his arms are freakin long..

I think there is a bit of an optical effect.

Washington measured 6’2.25” barefoot, 6’3.75” in shoes, 8’5.0” standing reach, 196.8 lbs and had a 6’7.75” wingspan.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man he doesn’t look like pro baller . . .

Washington is a bit of a steal on a two-way contract, especially since he played 48 games for the Pacers last season and averaged almost 10 points a game.

I think he has a chance as sort of a combo guard.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think there is a bit of an optical effect.

Washington measured 6’2.25” barefoot, 6’3.75” in shoes, 8’5.0” standing reach, 196.8 lbs and had a 6’7.75” wingspan.

Man.. you didn’t have to research. Thanks for taking the time. I know there are players with a huge wingspan to their size like Mikal. I was excited we have another freak monster on the squad.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man.. you didn’t have to research. Thanks for taking the time. I know there are players with a huge wingspan to their size like Mikal. I was excited we have another freak monster on the squad.

Oh, I enjoy it. I knew Washington's wingspan was 6'7" but I was curious to check out some of his other measurements.

Mikal Bridges has a wingspan of slightly over 7 feet.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh, I enjoy it. I knew Washington's wingspan was 6'7" but I was curious to check out some of his other measurements.

Mikal Bridges has a wingspan of slightly over 7 feet.

Look at the upside, researching told you that his wingspan is closer to 6'8" than 6'7" thanks to that .75. That's a good thing, IMO.

I hope he pans out. I have more hope for him than I have for Ish, who I like but don't see as an NBA level contributor.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a report the Suns, Lakers and Raptors all went after Schroeder.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it...guess they did try to get him, but didn't see fit to let the locals know. What are they anyway, except those people who might buy tickets.

I can see a possible connection between the alleged behavior by Robert Sarver, and the conspicuous near-blackout on news coming from the Suns organization (which I believe is deliberate policy from the top): Sarver is probably a jerk.
One of the few things this organization finally got right is that after years of leaking like a sieve they put an end to the front office leaks. We were probably the worst in the league at this and the leaks mostly came from Sarver through his good buddy Gambo. It makes for great reading and discussion for fans but it makes it tougher to get things done and often times does irreparable harm inside the locker room.

IMO the "near blackout" started with Babby and has been carried on and perhaps increased by JJ. The total silence from the players about injuries and such is almost definitely at the direction of Chris Paul. His position is that you don't go public with that information because it gives the opponents an advantage. I assume he was talking about the Beverley's of the league but maybe that was just part of it.

Anyway, as to your final sentence, I have no idea what Sarver is like as a person. In the workplace though, "jerk" might be the nicest name you could call him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jae Crowder would prefer the rings.

We all would.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member