Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Today's developments solidify his doom... sponsors rattling their sabers, players union saying they won't work with him. He's toast... the only question is how long it takes him to come to the realization.
We absolutely 100% cannot rely on Sarver having a come-to-Jesus moment and stepping down for the good of the team. He has to be forced out.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We absolutely 100% cannot rely on Sarver having a come-to-Jesus moment and stepping down for the good of the team. He has to be forced out.

Oh no, I absolutely don't think he will have any sort of self realizing epiphany, but I think once the process of him getting forced out begins he will resign and put his share up for sale.

He is too cheap for a protracted legal battle that he knows he has very little chance of winning and will only diminish the value of his sale.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
This to me might be a bigger deal than PayPal. She represents the NBPA and says she is speaking for the players association. They are saying on the radio that the Players association had a meeting and decided to submit a statement against Robert Sarver through her.

Usually when Unions make these kind of statements representing all its constituents....there was a vote.

Did the players all vote for this because that would be huge. And if no player refutes this statement then by default the players have spoken.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kia is far from a "car dealership". You are assuming there is some sort of local deal between Kia and the Suns, and I'd be curious to know why you assume that.

Paypal has been used as a payment method far longer than it has been a team sponsor. The contracts may be linked, but they are assuredly separate deals.

What's your argument here? That Kia doesn't give a crap about what Sarver did? Why? Because you want every company to sever it's relationship with the NBA? The world doesn't work like that and I know you know that.
The quote was Kia is a partner to the nba and the suns. I could be wrong but that seems like two levels of sponsorship. They could ditch the suns without impacting the nba deal, I would think.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
He will be forced out. Its just a matter of time

Right now everyone is making sure that they have the legal grounds to do so and find the least likely way for Sarver to sue. Everyone wants him to go away as quietly as possible

The league knowingly overstepped their bounds with the Sterling situation (for good reason but still). However since they had a smoking gun, they had little fear of sterling fighting back. This situation is a bit different

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This to me might be a bigger deal than PayPal. She represents the NBPA and says she is speaking for the players association. They are saying on the radio that the Players association had a meeting and decided to submit a statement against Robert Sarver through her.
Yup, the fact there was a meeting and this was the outcome is huge.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
FWIW, there is a Kia on display in the arena near section 101 in the concourse

They could have just stayed silent though

It's like they wanted to give support to a harassment free workplace and not upset the NBA or Suns in the process

We care, but not that much

I think that is where many sponsors are going to fall - they have other stuff they want to focus on and sometimes you do business with entities you don't like and they had already been hiding their not with sarver

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
don't forget that the whole community has an investment in this team, and as such, should have a say in the matter...

In 2019, the city invested millions of dollars into the facility where Sarver's team plays — a controversial deal that was met with fierce public backlash. Phoenix paid $150 million to renovate the facility, the Suns paid $80 million.

Mayor and 4 City Council member's statement
The Phoenix Suns are known by millions of people around the world and represent our city and region to a large and loyal fanbase. It is unacceptable for the organization’s leadership to be associated in any way with the despicable actions detailed in the report. We are equally concerned about a culture that would enable these actions to occur time and again, with – at most – ineffective disciplinary action.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see Sarver voluntarily step down not out of altruism but out of self-preservation. If he resigns himself he can still have an impact on how it all goes down. The longer he waits, the worse it is for him.

If I was in his shoes, that is what I would do. You have to know when to throw in the towel.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could see Sarver voluntarily step down not out of altruism but out of self-preservation. If he resigns himself he can still have an impact on how it all goes down. The longer he waits, the worse it is for him.

If I was in his shoes, that is what I would do. You have to know when to throw in the towel.

A smart person knows when to hold and when to fold.

My guess is Sarver could have avoided the fine and suspension if he had reached an agreement to sell the team before the NBA completed it's investigation.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The smart move for Sarver now would be to sell. His group bought Suns for $401M back in 2004 so if he has always had 30% stake, his investment would have been around $120M and now he would stand to make at least $540M which would be a a profit of 450%. He can take the money and live out his racist / misogynistic life in peace.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
A smart person knows when to hold and when to fold.

My guess is Sarver could have avoided the fine and suspension if he had reached an agreement to sell the team before the NBA completed it's investigation.

Which tells you he fully expected to be exonerated and felt his actions were justified or "not a big deal."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which tells you he fully expected to be exonerated and felt his actions were justified or "not a big deal."

I don't know what he expected.

Stuff like that doesn't go away. About the most one can hope for is to leave on more favorable terms.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The reports that Sarver complained about his punishment and felt it was too much says he's not going to bow out any time soon. He had the opportunity and he let ir pass him by. I'd give up any hope he'll see the error of his ways and sell without being forced to do so.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Curious that Jahm Najafi is ready to toss him, yet gave 95million to try to save Paula Deans career? wtaf
"Uh Uh No I don't want to be majority owner."
Crooks Judging Crooks. I dont trust anyone who can literally wipe his bum with 100 dollar bills.
Lets just get this over with.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reports that Sarver complained about his punishment and felt it was too much says he's not going to bow out any time soon. He had the opportunity and he let ir pass him by. I'd give up any hope he'll see the error of his ways and sell without being forced to do so.
He doesn't have to see the error of his ways to realize he needs to sell or remove himself permanently from any active role with the organization. He has to realize it's going to cost the organization money and it's going get worse. I guess he could try to talk himself into thinking that the story and the reaction will die down over the next year but I think the Player's Association stance will bury him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't have to see the error of his ways to realize he needs to sell or remove himself permanently from any active role with the organization. He has to realize it's going to cost the organization money and it's going get worse. I guess he could try to talk himself into thinking that the story and the reaction will die down over the next year but I think the Player's Association stance will bury him.
This is by far the biggest issue. Now that the NBPA has spoken, there will be a coordinated effort to encourage players around the league NOT to sign with the Suns. That alone should be enough for Sarver to move on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson