Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the longer he waits the worse it's going to look for him but I'm not sure he respects anyone enough to listen to that warning.
Agree on both parts. If he just cashed out right now he becomes wealthy beyond imagination and this all fades into the ether. People eventually forget who he is. He doesn’t, more and more tweets wil contain his name in a negative light, the franchise will devalue a bit, he becomes a VERY public enemy #1. More dirt will come out on him.

He’s not evolved enough to recognize all that imo. Very wealthy people have won all their life. They don’t tend to recognize when they hold a losing hand. And they tend to do damage to everyone and everything around them. I won’t be surprised if he takes down several peoples’ careers with him throughout this.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He’ll always be The Godfather but you gotta think Sarver’s reputation was known in those circles being an UA/west coast guy making his fortune around that time. I believe Bryan stayed on for a couple years so the family knew he was a jackass. Gotta be some massive regret by Jerry.
Who knows what is going on in his head these days
You must be registered for see images attach
RIP Super Dave! Absolute legend.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing PayPal as a sponsor would be a huge blow to current Suns ownership. And more sponsors are likely to follow.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is also a statement from Kia.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
This is a good sign. I am not convinced the sponsors won't be able to be replaced, but it's definitely a good sign and a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Just saw the statement from KIA, which is what I was worried about. "Yeah, this is awful, but we look forward to continuing to support the team and the league."

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but the "after" was my issue even though I realize they might not be up for renewal until after he returns. I just think a clearer message would have been better, if they are waiting because the renewal comes after his return, say that explicitly. And if they are simply giving the organization a year to do the right thing, say that instead. JMO. Regardless, I applaud them for taking a stand.
Edit: I just read the entire article, instead of just the blurb about not supporting the Suns after Sarver returns and they did a much better job of making their case than I credited them for.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to PayPal, here is a quote concerning their position. Their sponsorship expires at the end of this coming season.

By Arizona Sports:

“PayPal’s sponsorship with the Suns is set to expire at the end of the current season. In light of the findings of the NBA’s investigation, we will not renew our sponsorship should Robert Sarver remain involved with the Suns organization, after serving his suspension.”

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Question now is what happens if Sarver is out? Does existing ownership group look for a majority owner, pony up more cash themselves to increase their shares of organization or sell to new owner?

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but due to when Booker signed his extension, he literally can not be traded for 2 more seasons because of how many years he's under contract for. No player can be traded with more than 4 years of time remaining and Booker is under contract for the next 6 seasons. He had 2 remaining on his current deal and signed a new 4 year super max deal. That means he has no leverage at all since he can't be traded until 2024 at the earliest. So his contract can't just be traded.

So Booker contract signing is no way saying Sarver is all good with him....even if he knew at the time he signed.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PayPal took a principled stand while Kia whiffed. This might be a snowball soon!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question now is what happens if Sarver is out? Does existing ownership group look for a majority owner, pony up more cash themselves to increase their shares of organization or sell to new owner?

Only a guess, but if Jahm Najafi doesn't want to become the managing partner, the Suns will look for an outside buyer.

I'm sure there are a lot of outside buyers that could purchase more than 35% of the team (which Sarver owns) if I have the percentage right.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a good sign. I am not convinced the sponsors won't be able to be replaced, but it's definitely a good sign and a step in the right direction.

EDIT: Just saw the statement from KIA, which is what I was worried about. "Yeah, this is awful, but we look forward to continuing to support the team and the league."
we have to hope that Kia takes a ton of crap now too. Paypal led the way. Others not following sucks.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t think it will be hard to find a majority partner for an NBA team considering how franchise sales have gone over the past decade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kia is a joke. They piggybacked off the failed NBA response because it was an out for them. I will never sniff a KIA.
Curious what you think they should have done. They certainly have a much larger financial stake in the NBA than Paypal does. I'm not sure denigrating the NBA makes good financial sense for them. Rightly or wrongly.

More important are going to be companies like Paypal that the Suns have a vested interest in keeping a good relationship with. Local businesses and sponsors like Paypal that are specific to the Suns, those are the the more important ones.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what you think they should have done. They certainly have a much larger financial stake in the NBA than Paypal does. I'm not sure denigrating the NBA makes good financial sense for them. Rightly or wrongly.

More important are going to be companies like Paypal that the Suns have a vested interest in keeping a good relationship with. Local businesses and sponsors like Paypal that are specific to the Suns, those are the the more important ones.
PayPal is a nationwide brand. A huge one. They’re not specific to the Suns.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
PayPal is a nationwide brand. A huge one. They’re not specific to the Suns.
But their business in this instance is with the Suns, not the NBA.

Please don't insult me by insinuating I don't know that Paypal is nationwide. Come on.