Robert Sarver is in Big Trouble (ANNOUNCES SALE PROCESS)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.

Right now I'm upset with the NBA for not removing Robert Sarver as owner or at least recommending it be put to a vote by the Suns partnership.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Couldn't have picked worse. That said, he's brought this sad sack of a town it's only real championship, so there's that.
He’ll always be The Godfather but you gotta think Sarver’s reputation was known in those circles being an UA/west coast guy making his fortune around that time. I believe Bryan stayed on for a couple years so the family knew he was a jackass. Gotta be some massive regret by Jerry.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA radio was on fire yesterday and looks like they got the hose overnight, now talking “it is what it is, now have to figure out how to move and everyone in the Suns organization is on notice so thus won’t happen moving forward.”

24 hours before the “moving on” narrative started.

What also really pissing me off is how Silver and most media outlets have narrowed the issue here to “contexualized use of rhe N-word”. First of all, when you’ve been told REPEATEDLY not to use the N-word in ANY context, and keep doing it, the context doesn’t matter anymore.

But what disturbs me just as much is the idea that this was the only actionable thing he REALLY did wrong because media and Silver have seemingly completely blown off the disgusting systematic and wholesale treatment of women in the workplace. It speaks to the huge rot in our country that the treatment of women continues to be a non-issue by rich old white men, who have legislated their medical decisions for them while also being able to get away with treating them like complete dirt and even hostages at some point unless they flash their skin (see Snyder’s withholding of the Commanders cheerleaders passport scandal for proof of that).

It’s sickening.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA radio was on fire yesterday and looks like they got the hose overnight, now talking “it is what it is, now have to figure out how to move and everyone in the Suns organization is on notice so thus won’t happen moving forward.”

24 hours before the “moving on” narrative started.

What also really pissing me off is how Silver and most media outlets have narrowed the issue here to “contexualized use of rhe N-word”. First of all, when you’ve been told REPEATEDLY not to use the N-word in ANY context, and keep doing it, the context doesn’t matter anymore.

But what disturbs me just as much is the idea that this was the only actionable thing he REALLY did wrong because media and Silver have seemingly completely blown off the disgusting systematic and wholesale treatment of women in the workplace. It speaks to the huge rot in our country that the treatment of women continues to be a non-issue by rich old white men, who have legislated their medical decisions for them while also being able to get away with treating them like complete dirt and even hostages at some point unless they flash their skin (see Snyder’s withholding of the Commanders cheerleaders passport scandal for proof of that).

It’s sickening.

Chris Paul had it right. It's the conduct towards women that is of special concern.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t recall him saying he wanted out of sports. He sold the Suns because of all the debt built up with the Diamondbacks, then the Diamondbacks co-owners forced him out during the rebuild.
To be clear, I am talking about from an ownership perspective. He indicated he wanted out of that rat race in an interview I heard at the time. He showed interest in buying the Cubs at one point later though and kept taking leadership positions in different aspects. It was just weird. Usually, people who get out? Get out. I wonder if today, he regrets selling the team. Not that he would admit it.

The Diamondbacks was a totally different story. I didn't bring that up because he was forced out.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty tough...Booker is in a completely different position/stage than CP3.
Booker has a career ahead of him being part of a franchise where Sarver has crushed our reputation. I was listening to some national shows and I joined during a conversation. However, one of the guys said he has spoken to NBA players who have told them they would never consider playing with the Suns now if Sarver is going to stay.

Booker is going to be your main recruiter. If he doesn't take a principled stand? How effective can his recruiting be?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing that makes me sick is the chilling effect this pathetic “penalty” will have on any employee in other NBA organizations that have or will have to deal with harassment and “contextual” racism of this sort.

Why would anyone come forward if treated terribly in this league at this point? The NBA in essence just held up a virbanium shield to every NBA owner to be an awful racist, sexist person as long as they’re not caught on tape.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing that makes me sick is the chilling effect this pathetic “penalty” will have on any employee in other NBA organizations that have or will have to deal with harassment and “contextual” racism of this sort.

Why would anyone come forward if treated terribly in this league at this point? The NBA in essence just held up a virbanium shield to every NBA owner to be an awful racist, sexist person as long as they’re not caught on tape.
This. This isn't just about the Suns any longer. After this toothless reaction by Silver and the league? If I am in this situation with ANY team, people are going to think twice knowing the league won't do anything about it.

My second biggest issue is what does this mean for the Suns going forward? I already heard on the radio one host talking to NBA players who said they will never play with the Suns as long as Sarver is with the team after this. What the hell does that mean for our prospects of getting players going forward? Outside of forced trades or drafting? Sounds like this could impact the Suns long term prospects of landing FA's.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm still mad at Jerry Colangelo for not vetting Sarver better! He transitioned us to this POS.
Sarver and Kendrick have been disasters for Arizona sports franchises having overseen some of the worst times in both Suns and D'backs history.
I still find several things weird about that transaction. I mean Jerry indicated at the time he wanted out of sports. Then he subsequently took positions and did things to keep him in sports to this very day. I think he wanted to cash out and didn't matter who he sold to. It was about how much he could get which in a way I don't blame him. The league is supposed to vet and approve the owners so I don't put a ton of that on Jerry.
Colangelo definitely needed cash. He pretty much bought the 2001 title with his big name acquisitions and I love him for that. I can't fault him as there probably weren't many other offers to sort through and he can't be held responsible for Sarver and Kendrick being real pieces of work.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
-
Never heard of him.
"Phoenix Suns vice chairman and minority owner Sam Garvin has been appointed interim governor, IN NAME ONLY, of the team during majority owner Robert Sarver's one-year suspension, sources tell ESPN."

Fixed that for them.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
"Phoenix Suns vice chairman and minority owner Sam Garvin has been appointed interim governor, IN NAME ONLY, of the team during majority owner Robert Sarver's one-year suspension, sources tell ESPN."

Fixed that for them.
Yeah he’s the owner until he’s not. Whoever is “running” things still has to go thru him ultimately. What are they gonna track call logs?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dude… you’re not really gonna find some way to shade Booker under these circumstances, are you? Tell me that’s not where this is going.
dude, you're not really gonna still try to make me out to be a Booker "hater" every time i mention what he should or shouldn't do, are you?

i'll surely have a whole sack of Suns criticisms to unload as the season progresses, and as the superstar leader of this franchise a lot of that will probably include Booker, so relax and buckle up

but to answer your question...
NO, not a criticism of Booker at all
i don't expect him to instinctively know what the right thing to do is on this, at his age.
and i already wrote that i don't think it's on the Suns players to act
BUT
if i was his PR team advising him, i do believe it would be in his best interest to get ahead of it, instead of fall behind if it is inevitable that this scandal will escalate and, in particular, if other Suns players start to step up

as usual, just a common sense observation
no bias or anti-Booker agenda
i will continue to hold no player above criticism
and the more important they are to the franchise, the more i'm going to critique their performance, on and off the court

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he’s the owner until he’s not. Whoever is “running” things still has to go thru him ultimately. What are they gonna track call logs?
I sure hope they're not that stupid. The consequences, if caught, would greatly outweigh any possible benefits IMO. And while I knew nothing about Garvin prior to today other than he was one of the signers on the support document for Sarver, he seems to be capable and far too intelligent to take this kind of risk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a good move because of the connection with Robert Sarver.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dude, you're not really gonna still try to make me out to be a Booker "hater" every time i mention what he should or shouldn't do, are you?
no one has to make you out to be a Booker hater. you do that plenty well yourself.
i'll surely have a whole sack of Suns criticisms to unload as the season progresses, and as the superstar leader of this franchise a lot of that will probably include Booker, so relax and buckle up

but to answer your question...
NO, not a criticism of Booker at all
i don't expect him to instinctively know what the right thing to do is on this, at his age.
and i already wrote that i don't think it's on the Suns players to act
BUT
if i was his PR team advising him, i do believe it would be in his best interest to get ahead of it, instead of fall behind if it is inevitable that this scandal will escalate and, in particular, if other Suns players start to step up

as usual, just a common sense observation
no bias or anti-Booker agenda
i will continue to hold no player above criticism
and the more important they are to the franchise, the more i'm going to critique their performance, on and off the court
ok.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way that's gonna happen. I cannot imagine the kind of punishment the Suns would face if they got busted doing that.
i think you're being naive. he's already gotten away with corporate murder in the workplace. to think after the slap on the wrist he won't try to continue to be a snake is unlikely, IMO.

a snake is a snake. he can meet with people without using tech to do so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure hope they're not that stupid. The consequences, if caught, would greatly outweigh any possible benefits IMO. And while I knew nothing about Garvin prior to today other than he was one of the signers on the support document for Sarver, he seems to be capable and far too intelligent to take this kind of risk.
why are you giving him the benefit of the doubt. he was one of the initial backers of Sarver when the investigation broke a year ago.

I don't know how anyone gives ANYONE in the Suns organization the benefit of the doubt after they all enabled Sarver for 20 years and then stood by him, accepting the 1 year penalty with nothing further yesterday with their pathetic statement.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

Garvin will take charge immediately and already was attending a board of governors meeting in place of Sarver on Wednesday.

According to his Suns biography, he is an entrepreneur and founder of Continental Promotion Group and served as chairman and CEO from 1989-2005 before he sold the company.

Prior, Garvin was a staff assistant on the Ronald Reagan administration’s Presidential Commission for the German-American Tri-Centennial. Garvin also worked at the Heinz company as a sales merchandiser.

He has a masters of international management specializing in marketing from Thunderbird. Garvin received his bachelor of arts in political science and German studies at the University of Pittsburgh.

Garvin is among the Suns Legacy Partners ownership members that in November 2021 put their names behind support of Sarver, disputing evidence from an ESPN article that revealed many of the findings that were later confirmed in the investigation by an independent law firm.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave