Arizona Cardinals @ Las Vegas Raiders pregame thread. 9/11/22-9/17/22

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem isn't just Kyler missing wide open guys for big gains as he did with Eno. It's also that he often misses them and takes a negative play instead.

But the biggest concern is WHY he's missing these wide open guys. The top QB's and even the middling ones, read the defense against the play he is running and adjusts his reads based on that.

So in this case, knowing what was coming, he should have KNOWN pre snap that it was likely that Eno would be open for a big gain. Because he knows the WR's are in man coverage and they are going to clear out that area and Eno should have a tonne of space. But as you can see from the video, he never even looks that way.

And that is because, in my opinion he isn't doing any of what he should be. I don't think he's reading the defense at all, and if he's not doing that he's not adjusting his reads to make the most of what the defense is giving him.

Take the 3rd down pass to AJ Green that hit the CB in the back. That was the one and only read on that play even though he had a wide open Dortch for the 1st down.

This was the area he needed to improve the most and there's no sign of it.

Boom

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
C. Jones-2 tackles, 1 for loss, 0 sacks. Sure, he'll be hyped.

The problem isn't just Kyler missing wide open guys for big gains as he did with Eno. It's also that he often misses them and takes a negative play instead.

But the biggest concern is WHY he's missing these wide open guys. The top QB's and even the middling ones, read the defense against the play he is running and adjusts his reads based on that.

So in this case, knowing what was coming, he should have KNOWN pre snap that it was likely that Eno would be open for a big gain. Because he knows the WR's are in man coverage and they are going to clear out that area and Eno should have a tonne of space. But as you can see from the video, he never even looks that way.

And that is because, in my opinion he isn't doing any of what he should be. I don't think he's reading the defense at all, and if he's not doing that he's not adjusting his reads to make the most of what the defense is giving him.

Take the 3rd down pass to AJ Green that hit the CB in the back. That was the one and only read on that play even though he had a wide open Dortch for the 1st down.

The answer is quite simple actually, Murray has stated quote “I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens” “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.
He is seeing things we don't see because we can't see what he sees in his head and it's apparently a lot more then we can ever see.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

To add to this...

As Krang and others have pointed out before (I think Brett Kollman did a video on this) this is why Kyler is so big on throwing to the Alert and why he sucks without Nuk.

Instead of reading the defense and going through progressions he finds the receiver in single coverage and throws the ball up where the receiver can make a play for it.

In the case of Nuk he knows he's likely to get open off the LOS and even in tight coverage Nuk can win the battle. So again, 1st read Nuk, throw his way and he will make something happen.

Take them away and you can severely limit his efficiency.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to this...

As Krang and others have pointed out before (I think Brett Kollman did a video on this) this is why Kyler is so big on throwing to the Alert and why he sucks without Nuk.

Instead of reading the defense and going through progressions he finds the receiver in single coverage and throws the ball up where the receiver can make a play for it.

In the case of Nuk he knows he's likely to get open off the LOS and even in tight coverage Nuk can win the battle. So again, 1st read Nuk, throw his way and he will make something happen.

That doesn’t sound like a 250 million dollar man.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Just looking at the Raider depth chart and it appears to me that the RB and WR positions on the Raiders are better than what the Cardinals faced last Sunday. Adams and Renfro are certainly better than what KC put on the field and I would dare say TE is a wash and Jacobs is certainly the better RB. Yes, I know Mahomes is heads above Carr however if the defense can't get pressure on Carr I just don't see how the defense is going to fare any better and in a hostile environment. Adams was 10/141/1 against a fairly good defense in the Chargers. Are we going to see a 12/200/3 game from Adams this Sunday?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just looking at the Raider depth chart and it appears to me that the RB and WR positions on the Raiders are better than what the Cardinals faced last Sunday. Adams and Renfro are certainly better than what KC put on the field and I would dare say TE is a wash and Jacobs is certainly the better RB. Yes, I know Mahomes is heads above Carr however if the defense can't get pressure on Carr I just don't see how the defense is going to fare any better and in a hostile environment. Adams was 10/141/1 against a fairly good defense in the Chargers. Are we going to see a 12/200/3 game from Adams this Sunday?

Expect to get whooped and anything else is gravy...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to this...

Every time Kyler drops back , one of his receivers should be doing a shallow crossing route. It’s a set outlet and very difficult to defend against speedy receivers. Kyler should also be under center which would improve play action and rollouts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave