We are stuck with Keim, Kliff and Kyler for a long time...

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amen. I was hoping out the door. Wasn't it Einstein who said something like (sic) if you keep doing the same thing over and over and expect a different result your not too bright.....See KK coaching history!!
Definition of insanity.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe we suck without Watt and/or Nuk?

Since Watt was out were what? 2-8?
Many tried to diminish what Watt was doing, but if you watch the games where he was healthy, this was an entirely different D and team.

Obviously acquiring him was flashy and risky (and ultimately the wrong move), perfect Keim.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FWIW and I don't know if it's just Zach defending his QB but I saw something online today where Ertz said that was his fault that he is supposed to read that and stay in to block but he didn't. Again no idea if he's just defending his QB or not. Watching it live I thought how does Kyler never look that way but what I read is that that blitz is the responsibility of the guy on the end there in that case Ertz so he has to make sure the DB isn't coming. Romo actually said something about it later in the game on good pickup by I think Maxx he said the TE did a much better job that time of seeing the blitz and blocking instead of going out in the pattern.

Still to me Kyler has to see it coming and like the guy said there's no "hot". Assume for a second Kyler sees it coming and tries to get rid of it, the only real place to throw it is left because Ertz is running right to left(to the middle) and everyone else is on the left. The old throw to where the blitz came from can't work on that play because there's nobody on the right side to throw to.

That's the stuff Kurt and Carson were so good at the pre snap read and making sure they had the blocking set up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Legitimately, here is what I know.

Patrick Peterson was better than what we rolled out on the field vs KC.

Chandler Jones was better than what we rolled out on the field vs KC.

So, we didn't re-sign them but we also didn't replace them. That is the biggest issue.

The other issue is that we Jordan Hicks and Devondre Campbell as our ILBs and decided it was better to let them go and replace them with two first round picks who haven't shown they can play. Yes, Campbell and Hicks had their issues but the better option was always keeping both and using the 1st round picks on more critical positions.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

So, we didn't re-sign them but we also didn't replace them. That is the biggest issue.

The other issue is that we Jordan Hicks and Devondre Campbell as our ILBs and decided it was better to let them go and replace them with two first round picks who haven't shown they can play. Yes, Campbell and Hicks had their issues but the better option was always keeping both and using the 1st round picks on more critical positions.
Or getting rid of both and either drafting other ILBers later or signing veteran replacements.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The dubious decision to extend the head coach and GM was questionable at rhe time IMO. It may turn out to be the equivalent of missing on a first round QB 15 years ago and setting a franchise back 3-5 years.

OTOH, IT'S just one game!

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Or getting rid of both and either drafting other ILBers later or signing veteran replacements.
That is what a high functioning team should do but we aren't that. It is why I didn't have a huge issue with re-signing Conner. It isn't cap detrimental money and I was not confident we could fill the other holes anyways. There are some positions in the NFL that are really expensive to sign as FAs. WRs, OTs, DL, EDGE, CB. It makes sense to draft a bunch of players at those positions in hopes one hits. That means using FA dollars or later draft picks on ILB, S, RBs, TEs, NTs as a more cost effective build.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The dubious decision to extend the head coach and GM was questionable at rhe time IMO. It may turn out to be the equivalent of missing on a first round QB 15 years ago and setting a franchise back 3-5 years.

OTOH, IT'S just one game!
We can get out of everything and everyone in 4 years. You can't set anything back when it is hardly started.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

My brother and I were talking about this idea:

Do you think the Cardinals looked at this year as a quasi reset? Figure out what they had on the roster since there were so many unknowns and carry over some of this year's extra cap?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, we replaced the EDGE guys with draft picks, but not surprisingly they didn't play due to coaches decisions...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you think the Cardinals looked at this year as a quasi reset? Figure out what they had on the roster since there were so many unknowns and carry over some of this year's extra cap?
I do, kinda. They still have a TON of cap space next year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

We (a significant part of the board) talked about this all offseason, because it felt like we were punting on the season. You and others made fun of us for this view and defended the roster. I think by now it's pretty clear this team at the very least didn't do all it could to compete. At worst, they completely punted on this season. Which is a disheartening idea, as a horrible losing season will result in no change.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We (a significant part of the board) talked about this all offseason, because it felt like we were punting on the season. You and others made fun of us for this view and defended the roster. I think by now it's pretty clear this team at the very least didn't do all it could to compete. At worst, they completely punted on this season. Which is a disheartening idea, as a horrible losing season will result in no change.
I didn't think they would free up cap space like they did. That's when it changed. Why free up so much cap space and not use it? If they resign Murphy, that could be helpful for the future.

I'm also afraid that Bidwill is just a slightly improved version of his father.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’ve mentioned this in another thread. A good GM would have a 3 year plan. A draft with a thought of replacing players who you might think won’t be here. You simply don’t let a player walk away and pray a rookie or a low cost FA is their replacement.
The year Jones got hurt is when the front office should have been planning his replacement.
Keim has no plan. He simply looks at the problem of the day and sticks a finger in the dyke.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It’s insane to look at year 4 of a rebuild as a quasi-reset. If that was their actual plan they are dumber than I already believe them to be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve mentioned this in another thread. A good GM would have a 3 year plan. A draft with a thought of replacing players who you might think won’t be here. You simply don’t let a player walk away and pray a rookie or a low cost FA is their replacement.
The year Jones got hurt is when the front office should have been planning his replacement.
Keim has no plan. He simply looks at the problem of the day and sticks a finger in the dyke.
Sadly they did. Enter JJ Watt.

And the reality is CJ’s replacement was already ON THE TEAM. His name was Hassan Reddick and we let him walk out the door as well. And then knowing they weren’t going to bring back CJ the next year, the best they did to get his replacement ready was… drafting an edge in the 6th round!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s insane to look at year 4 of a rebuild as a quasi-reset. If that was their actual plan they are dumber than I already believe them to be.
The Cardinals were dumb AF in their rebuild. 2018 was the perfect year. Trade away CJ and PP21. Gather draft picks and cap space.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals were dumb AF in their rebuild. 2018 was the perfect year. Trade away CJ and PP21. Gather draft picks and cap space.
They’ve been dumb for a while. They got lucky with Arians. Nothing can convince me of anything different at this point.

There’s one saving Grace… they haven’t been proven to even more awful off the field for almost two decades as they have been on the court. The Suns stole their thunder there.

Although Keim’s DUI and all lack of accountability there for a multiple time offender was pretty pathetic as well. Also, they covered for an accused domestic abuser coach earlier this year, only holding him accountable when his crap leaked to the press.

Sigh… they’re pretty pathetic also. But maybe not systematically so like the Suns for the better part of two decades.

What a time to be a Phoenix sports fan.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Well, we replaced the EDGE guys with draft picks, but not surprisingly they didn't play due to coaches decisions...
This is where a lack of self awareness and poor planning comes in. What sort of contributions did they think drafting TWO EDGE players in the 3rd round were really going to be able to make? This is why the misstep with Collins was so bad. So many EDGE players available last year who you could have eased in with Jones still on the roster and instead we took an ILB. Now we are asking mid round rookies to have an immediate role and it puts them in a situation to fail.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where a lack of self awareness and poor planning comes in. What sort of contributions did they think drafting TWO EDGE players in the 3rd round were really going to be able to make? This is why the misstep with Collins was so bad. So many EDGE players available last year who you could have eased in with Jones still on the roster and instead we took an ILB. Now we are asking mid round rookies to have an immediate role and it puts them in a situation to fail.
Exactly. With you 100%.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kingsbury was a genius when Colt McCoy won 2 out of 3 games last season. Now he's incompetent. In reality he is somewhere in between.
My point is that we have zero playoff wins since 2015. That was in reference to your statement that extending Kliff, Keim and Kyler would put the franchise back 4 or 5 years. We haven't been successful enough for it to really matter. I like Kliff more than most but I can see where people feel he is a better OC than HC. I don't know that he can suddenly change and start demanding more from his players but he will likely have to in order to reach the playoffs again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave