OT - Lamar Jackson contract

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m shocked that Lamar is going to suit up this year and risk injury with his style of play.

He’s obviously asking for a lot but he’s also done a ton for that team and organization.

I’m just curious where you guys stand on the matter. He deserves to be paid like a top 5 qb, and considering he’s up next you can argue he should be the highest paid qb.

On the other hand, Watson’s fully guaranteed contract with the Browns was completely insane.

With all of that said, where is this thing headed beyond this season? Does Lamar increase his asking price because they refused to pay him this year?

Will he simply walk and go to another team out of principle? It’s going to be interesting to see it play out.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Baltimore still has control over him for 2 years with the franchise tag so he doesn't get to walk after 2022. That said, I am not sure he is worth top 5 money because of his passing abilities. Has there been any reports on what he is asking?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What if Lamar Jackson refuses to play today?

Some would say that, without the Ravens giving quarterback Lamar Jackson the contract he wants, he should refuse to play under the contract he has.

So here’ the question. What would happen if/when Jackson decides at some point between now at 1:00 p.m. ET that he’s just not going to play?

Obviously, he can’t be forced to play. He’d sacrifice his game check if he flat-out refused to play. And he’d set himself up for potential discipline for conduct detrimental to the team, which maxes out at a four-game suspension without pay.

The other reality of refusing to play is that, eventually, his contract would toll to 2023. Which would force the Ravens and Jackson to do it all over again in 2023 — and which would delay the potential Kirk Cousins, year-to-year strategy that puts Jackson on the open market in 2025.

It’s HIGHLY unlikely that he would do this. As multiple sources throughout the league have said, Jackson simply isn’t wired that way.

That said, this is the first year of his career in which he seems to be keenly aware of the risk-reward realities of turning down long-term security and playing with only his current-year salary guaranteed. Will he be thinking about getting injured? Will it affect the way he plays?

Moving forward, will it impact his willingness to play through injury? The concept of the “hold-in” has become popular in recent years. It previously referred to a player who wanted a new contract, didn’t have one, and relied on an injury (real, embellished, or flat-out fabricated) to justify not playing.

What would the team do in that situation? Call him out? Suggest he’s using an injury through which he’d ordinarily play in order to express his displeasure with his lack of a contract?

If the Ravens already have decided to apply the franchise tag in 2023, it won’t matter if he has a down year and/or misses multiple games due to injury (or “injury”). So why should Jackson, if he’s banged up at all, put himself into the fray at anything less than 100 percent?

These are fair questions to ask as this unprecedented situation unfolds. For the first time ever, there’s a franchise quarterback who wants a new deal, a team that is willing to give him a new deal, an impasse over whether the deal will be fully-guaranteed, and no agent to advise Jackson on whether, for example, he should have held out from training camp or engaged in a hold-in as that term is now used, showing up and refusing to practice or play until business was taken care of.

It’s too late for Jackson to walk away or hold a one-man wildcat strike. It will be interesting to see whether, as he inevitably accumulates bumps and bruises during games that count, he decides to apply a much higher bar as to what it will take to get him to keep playing without the long-term deal he clearly wanted.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Surprised Lamar didn’t look at the Kyler contract situation and decide he needed an agent.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Baltimore still has control over him for 2 years with the franchise tag so he doesn't get to walk after 2022. That said, I am not sure he is worth top 5 money because of his passing abilities. Has there been any reports on what he is asking?
I forgot about the tag. Can’t a team do that twice?

That would be insane if they got 7 years out of him without having to truly “pay” him.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I work with a guy who’s a huge Ravens fan and says Lamar wants $250 million guaranteed. The other issue the Ravens will be facing is next year at this time, Burrow and Herbert will be going into their 4th years. Will their teams do an extension like the Cards did with Kyler? Lamar won’t want to take a backseat to them.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot about the tag. Can’t a team do that twice?

That would be insane if they got 7 years out of him without having to truly “pay” him.

Oh they have to pay him. Average of the top 5 salaries next year or about 47.5 million and then 120% of next year so 56 million

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we're not supposed to use the word Greed . . but Good Lord.
Call a spade a spade… I hope it works out for him but he was silly to turn that down.

Although I’m not really gonna feel bad for him. Just based off this year‘s salary alone plus what hes earned in the past and I’m sure whatever endorsement money he’s received he’s got generational wealth already unless he’s just frivolously stupid with his money. He’s got some pretty big endorsement contracts with Oakley for sure and I guarantee there’s more. He’s already got a net worth of 5 million and is making 23 million this season alone. Not counting his endorsements.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

What if Lamar Jackson refuses to play today?

Some would say that, without the Ravens giving quarterback Lamar Jackson the contract he wants, he should refuse to play under the contract he has.

So here’ the question. What would happen if/when Jackson decides at some point between now at 1:00 p.m. ET that he’s just not going to play?

Obviously, he can’t be forced to play. He’d sacrifice his game check if he flat-out refused to play. And he’d set himself up for potential discipline for conduct detrimental to the team, which maxes out at a four-game suspension without pay.

The other reality of refusing to play is that, eventually, his contract would toll to 2023. Which would force the Ravens and Jackson to do it all over again in 2023 — and which would delay the potential Kirk Cousins, year-to-year strategy that puts Jackson on the open market in 2025.

It’s HIGHLY unlikely that he would do this. As multiple sources throughout the league have said, Jackson simply isn’t wired that way.

That said, this is the first year of his career in which he seems to be keenly aware of the risk-reward realities of turning down long-term security and playing with only his current-year salary guaranteed. Will he be thinking about getting injured? Will it affect the way he plays?

Moving forward, will it impact his willingness to play through injury? The concept of the “hold-in” has become popular in recent years. It previously referred to a player who wanted a new contract, didn’t have one, and relied on an injury (real, embellished, or flat-out fabricated) to justify not playing.

What would the team do in that situation? Call him out? Suggest he’s using an injury through which he’d ordinarily play in order to express his displeasure with his lack of a contract?

If the Ravens already have decided to apply the franchise tag in 2023, it won’t matter if he has a down year and/or misses multiple games due to injury (or “injury”). So why should Jackson, if he’s banged up at all, put himself into the fray at anything less than 100 percent?

These are fair questions to ask as this unprecedented situation unfolds. For the first time ever, there’s a franchise quarterback who wants a new deal, a team that is willing to give him a new deal, an impasse over whether the deal will be fully-guaranteed, and no agent to advise Jackson on whether, for example, he should have held out from training camp or engaged in a hold-in as that term is now used, showing up and refusing to practice or play until business was taken care of.

It’s too late for Jackson to walk away or hold a one-man wildcat strike. It will be interesting to see whether, as he inevitably accumulates bumps and bruises during games that count, he decides to apply a much higher bar as to what it will take to get him to keep playing without the long-term deal he clearly wanted.

F. Members are free to post links to or reviews of commercial sites other than those they are affiliated with, subject to review by ASFN moderators. However, make sure to give credit where credit is due. HOWEVER, do not post copyrighted information. Post the link and a few sentences in the article. The reader can click on the link to read the remainder of the article. It appears there are now people hired by newspapers hunting for such things with the intent to sue

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F. Members are free to post links to or reviews of commercial sites other than those they are affiliated with, subject to review by ASFN moderators. However, make sure to give credit where credit is due. HOWEVER, do not post copyrighted information. Post the link and a few sentences in the article. The reader can click on the link to read the remainder of the article. It appears there are now people hired by newspapers hunting for such things with the intent to sue
I've been doing this from PFT for years here

The other mods have never said a word

Check with them and let me know if it's an issue

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah thats a crap rule. Clicking on links is a pain and got me an infected computer twice.

Imo, post the article or dont post the thread.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
He should have learned from his fall in the draft. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should have learned from his fall in the draft. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away

I don’t think he cares much if he’s making a mistake he’s already set for life Unless he’s really dumb with his money so now he’s gambling.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He should be slotted between Kyler and Deshaun. Something along $230 million with $200 million guaranteed. For the Ravens, I don't think he'd be worth that for another team, the Ravens have built their entire system around him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should be slotted between Kyler and Deshaun. Something along $230 million with $200 million guaranteed. For the Ravens, I don't think he'd be worth that for another team, the Ravens have built their entire system around him.

200 million guaranteed? You know Kyler got 103 guaranteed right? Lol