Kansas City Chiefs @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame Thread. 9/2/22-9/10/22

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think Orlovsky knows a whole heck of a lot about the Cards. I assume those td's by Ertz & Williams last year were figments of my imagination.
Or Jace Amaro at Texas Tech.

Kliff was asked why he didn't use the TE more and he said it was a function of talent. Mike Leach said the exact same thing...he never had talented TEs so he didn't use them much.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Derek Kinnard listed as Marcus Golden's backup on the depth chart for Sunday. Looks like he's on the PS/Game chart yoyo.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Derek Kinnard listed as Marcus Golden's backup on the depth chart for Sunday. Looks like he's on the PS/Game chart yoyo.
I believe that if he’s on the active roster Week 1 his whole salary is guaranteed and Keim will have played himself again.

That’s why they haven’t elevated him yet.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nahhh when he’s played he’s shown he still has loads of value. Sometimes you have to roll the dice.
Giving top 10 d-linemen money to a guy with his injury history and production dropoff is too big of a dice roll for me. Especially with all the other holes on the roster. A defense starting Marco Wilson and Byron Murphy with little depth at any position isn't one player away from being great.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I’m already exhausted from listening to Kliff & we haven’t played a game yet. How are we injured? Few starters practice & none of them played in any preseason games. Just mind boggling. When you have a SOFT HC, players take advantage of the situation. Heard Mr. Softee say yesterday that he would rather be a good person than a good HC. WTF? We’re doomed. We haven’t played a real game yet, and I’m exhausted from listening to his interviews.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never liked over paying for a player in his twilight years. Especially one who has started to breakdown physically. I thought it was dumb then and I still think it was dumb today.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I’m already exhausted from listening to Kliff & we haven’t played a game yet. How are we injured? Few starters practice & none of them played in any preseason games. Just mind boggling. When you have a SOFT HC, players take advantage of the situation. Heard Mr. Softee say yesterday that he would rather be a good person than a good HC. WTF? We’re doomed. We haven’t played a real game yet, and I’m exhausted from listening to his interviews.
Can't agree with you more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This literally happens every year to some extent.

It's called training camp. Players always get hurt at training camp.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Giving top 10 d-linemen money to a guy with his injury history and production dropoff is too big of a dice roll for me. Especially with all the other holes on the roster. A defense starting Marco Wilson and Byron Murphy with little depth at any position isn't one player away from being great.
To be fair, Watt was signed in like January. It was as much a PR move as anything to pump up a shiftless team that (this may be familiar) came unglued under the pressure of a playoff push and who’s mercurial quarterback hadn’t embraced the spotlight.

It’s easier to think of JJ Watt as Fitz’s replacement. We’ll prolly pay him $99 million annual salary as long as he’s willing to take it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Players get hurt in training camp, yes. There are degrees, however, and we have a ton of injuries right now, especially compared to our week 1 opponents. Then again, when you rely on aging to overaged veterans, you have to expect and accept injuries, missed games, and sometimes even lost seasons, depending on who is hurt or for how long. It just goes to reinforce the narrative that Keim sucks at roster building. It really highlights his draft deficiencies especially. He routinely has to trade draft capital for older vets to fill holes he fails to fill with young drafted players.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Watt, Hicks, Phillips and Kennard hit the cap for over $30m the next two years.
its closer to $20 m, but i get the point.

when people say "why cant the Cards be aggressive with the cap like the Saints or Rams" -- well this is one of the features aggressive teams use: voidable years and it results in dead money after the player is gone.

So you sign a guy for, lets say, three years, but give him a 4 year deal with the 4th being voidable to spread the bonus out.

the real issue is about giving it to guys who dont contribute like you wanted. They got good production out of Hicks. We will see on Watt.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
WTF… we’re going to have a 7.2 cap hit NEXT year for Watt also? How drunk is Keim when he signs/structures these contracts?
3 ways to address that cap hit:

1) Watt sucks this year or is hurt, so you just move on and take the full hit.
2) Watt is decent enough to warrant a 1 year extension at a modest dollar amount, allowing that 7.2 to be wrapped into new deal and spread out again.
3) Watt plays lights out and stays relatively healthy, earning a 2-3 year extension which would also allow to spread that amount out and lower the 2023 hit.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You may be right, but I don’t recall that many years when we have multiple must have starters that are either not playing or game day decisions. Part of me thinks KK is just bluffing & I HATE that. Sorry, but Kliff is already grating on my nerves. Every time he opens his mouth, I have less and less confidence in this team.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
3 ways to address that cap hit:

1) Watt sucks this year or is hurt, so you just move on and take the full hit.
2) Watt is decent enough to warrant a 1 year extension at a modest dollar amount, allowing that 7.2 to be wrapped into new deal and spread out again.
3) Watt plays lights out and stays relatively healthy, earning a 2-3 year extension which would also allow to spread that amount out and lower the 2023 hit.
that money is on the cap, nothing you can do about it. Even if you resign him: its just added to what you pay him in 2023