Top Gun: Maverick

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's crazy how successful it's been. Up to $1.35B at the box office now. It's domestic number is only like $36m behind Thor's total box office. That's just insane considering the MCU franchise.

I can't wait for the UHD for this now. I have my new projector and screen installed so it's going to be even more nuts than in the theater.
Domestically it’s blown past Thor two times over.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Domestically it’s blown past Thor two times over.
Oh, yeah. I mean that's its domestic is only $36m less than Thor's worldwide total (domestic and international). If you had asked me in May I would have said that Top Gun would be doing great if it was within that on just the domestic. To think that its domestic could match Thor's worldwide is mind blowing to me.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I mean that's its domestic is only $36m less than Thor's worldwide total (domestic and international). If you had asked me in May I would have said that Top Gun would be doing great if it was within that on just the domestic. To think that its domestic could match Thor's worldwide is mind blowing to me.
Yeah… it’s the definition of a freaking smash hit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could eek into the top 5 All time Domestic but that's likely where it teeters out. Pretty dam impressive if you account for the fact that every single other movie up there other than Titanic was science fiction, comic book or animation. It's easily the biggest "old school" action movie hit of all time.

By the way? Disney is crushing it all time.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just a heads up, I watched the streaming version of TG:M last night and it's so-so for audio. I'm waiting for the UHD on Nov. 1st for any rewatches. They have the dialnorm set to -12 one it so it's very quiet. I ended up having to turn my AVR up to +1.0 for the volume. It's the first movie I've got positive on. I usually listen at around -9 or -10 dB. It was also fairly "flat" in it's use of Atmos. For a movie like this I expected a lot more overhead action. The bass was also a bit compressed. At least the bass and volume should be better on UHD and I'm hoping they give it the more dynamic Atmos mix.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up, I watched the streaming version of TG:M last night and it's so-so for audio. I'm waiting for the UHD on Nov. 1st for any rewatches. They have the dialnorm set to -12 one it so it's very quiet. I ended up having to turn my AVR up to +1.0 for the volume. It's the first movie I've got positive on. I usually listen at around -9 or -10 dB. It was also fairly "flat" in it's use of Atmos. For a movie like this I expected a lot more overhead action. The bass was also a bit compressed. At least the bass and volume should be better on UHD and I'm hoping they give it the more dynamic Atmos mix.
Which service and what device? I have found that definitely matters. I will likely wait for the disc then download the digital version that comes with it.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Which service and what device? I have found that definitely matters. I will likely wait for the disc then download the digital version that comes with it.
iTunes and Apple TV 4k. It's across the board though talking to some of my AVS buddies. The volume issue is due to the dialnorm (playback gain metadata) being set to -12 dB. Super soft. I'm not sure why either. Our track volume calculation had the offset at zero.

My other complaints are aren't unusually for streaming vs UHD btw. It's me being cranky over streaming still not matching disc. ;)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
iTunes and Apple TV 4k. It's across the board though talking to some of my AVS buddies. The volume issue is due to the dialnorm (playback gain metadata) being set to -12 dB. Super soft. I'm not sure why either. Our track volume calculation had the offset at zero.

My other complaints are aren't unusually for streaming vs UHD btw. It's me being cranky over streaming still not matching disc. ;)
Weird. Usually Itunes/Apple 4K are pretty good when it comes to quality. I can't wait to get my hands on the disc.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t own a single movie on disc. I put in a LG Gallery GX and a full Sonos setup recently. And this has me considering buying a Blu-ray player if it’s that much better.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I don’t own a single movie on disc. I put in a LG Gallery GX and a full Sonos setup recently. And this has me considering buying a Blu-ray player if it’s that much better.

Congrats on the LG. Those are nice!

For disc vs stream, it really depends on the movie and how capable your Sonos' are. I'm not familiar with their home theater offerings. Where I usually notice streaming vs disc is with bass and heights. Bass is almost always more dynamic and nuanced. Heights seem to be getting better but DD+ Atmos usually feels less active to me than TrueHD Atmos or DTS:X. The mids and highs are usually pretty good but can be a little more flat and less dynamic.

For the movie side of it, it's all over the place for quality. Title bought through Apple are usually the best for quality. They have all the dials turned up normally. This has been evening out a bit though and for some like TG:M it's generally going to be the same in most places. The big * being HBOMax, especially for new movies in the theater, they suck. My guess is that they're trying to protect the non-streaming channels. The audio is compressed so much in them that it's a joke. A movie like Kong vs Godzilla was night and day between the stream and the UHD. If I was to dig up the graphs on them you'd see it right away. That played out with WW, Snyder cut, Dune, etc. that came out over the last year and have or so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rented it to watch with my Dad and the Sounds mix in general is terrible.

Also, Dogfight Football is so comically stupid that I can’t help but love it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a truly great sequel. Took me until the third time to get that point after my first screening was ruined by spoilers.

Cruise gives a emotional performance for the first time in forever. He’s so good in this. Hell, I even bought the Jennifer Connelly relationship.

More than anything, there’s something about Cruise in this where it feels like for once, he actually let the director show his age, the cracks on his face, bags under his eyes. All helped tell the story in a rich and satisfying way.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just rented it to watch with my Dad and the Sounds mix in general is terrible.

Also, Dogfight Football is so comically stupid that I can’t help but love it.
Dogfight football should’ve died on the editing floor. I get they didn’t want an exact replica with another volleyball scene, but it’s the beach and volleyball is a thing. Dogfight football is just stupid.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Dogfight football should’ve died on the editing floor. I get they didn’t want an exact replica with another volleyball scene, but it’s the beach and volleyball is a thing. Dogfight football is just stupid.

It looked like fun to me, I'd give it a shot! lol

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m buying the theory he died in the Mach 10 flight and the rest of the movie is a dream. Eject at that speed to you disintegrate instantly.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m buying the theory he died in the Mach 10 flight and the rest of the movie is a dream. Eject at that speed to you disintegrate instantly.

Clearly you don’t I mean anybody who’s anybody knows that Tom Cruise does all of his own stunts :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Pretty impressive for an action flick.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Solid 8.5 across the board except for young girls. They just don't get the nostalgia! lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Dare I say this will definitely be nominated for best picture and actually has a chance to win??