Hamilton Out 4 Weeks - Cooking Injury

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Quick taxonomy of American french fry names:
Steak Fries are maybe what you call "chunky" which are basically potato wedges that are baked or deep fried. This is sneakily the best kind of fry.
Waffle Fries are essentially potato rounds that are turned into a waffle pattern by some kind of witchcraft. This is the second- or third-best kind of fry.
Crinkle-cut fries are kind of rippley and gross.
Curly fries are the only real competitor to waffle fries as the best. They're like spun edges of fries and highly seasoned. This is the only reason to go to Arby's, tbh.
Fries are essentially potato sticks that are anywhere less than 1/2" (1 cm) on the short edge.
Shoestring fries are extremely narrow (< 5 mm on the short edge) fries that are gross and unneeded.

You are much more a fries aficionado that Krang it seems.

We have curly fries. I'm a fan.

Steak fries are indeed the best fries. Or chips as we call them.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's just confusing! How do you communicate your fries size preference?

If you see "with fries" on a menu do you have to ask "Excuse me. Are they skinny fries or fat fries?"

No wonder China is winning...
Usually the establishment will have a pic or a description of said fries.

In California we have In-N-Out. Best burger chain on the planet but their fries are straight trash. If you come to Cali, I apologize for the fries, but try the burgers because they are insanely good.

One thing I learned when I lived in Europe is that American beef is vastly superior to European beef.

Fast food fries I'd say Five Guys are really good. Don't order a large unless you are ordering for a family.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My mom was British. Bangers are awesome, I can occasionally get good ones here. Also grew up eating Welsh rarebit and yorkshire pudding. first time I made yorkshire pudding my GF said that's not pudding I thought it was dessert so I explained to her how during the War British people used it to soak up anything they could find to add flavor and it became popular sort of like how Hawaiians and Filipinos love Spam which was made as a meat substitute during the war.

Good man.

Can't beat a good sausage. Never met anyone British who actually calls them bangers though. Probably some London thing.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

In California we have In-N-Out. Best burger chain on the planet but their fries are straight trash. If you come to Cali, I apologize for the fries, but try the burgers because they are insanely good.

One thing I learned when I lived in Europe is that American beef is vastly superior to European beef.

Fast food fries I'd say Five Guys are really good. Don't order a large unless you are ordering for a family.

We have Five guys here. They're good.

I will not here slander of Aberdeen Angus or Hereford beef. Although granted European been is probably worse. I did once have a Horse burger in Spain.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good man.

Can't beat a good sausage. Never met anyone British who actually calls them bangers though. Probably some London thing.

They are sold here as British bangers but I don't know never actually been to England.

Mom went to Penzance Grammar school, lived in St Ives but she grew up during WW2 so they moved constantly because of that.

I grew up with a mom who could legitimately say when I didn't feel like going to school, "i walked to school every day, during a war, we'd pick up pieces of shrapnel on our way to school. Get dressed you're going to school!"

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are sold here as British bangers but I don't know never actually been to England.

Mom went to Penzance Grammar school, lived in St Ives but she grew up during WW2 so they moved constantly because of that.

I grew up with a mom who could legitimately say when I didn't feel like going to school, "i walked to school every day, during a war, we'd pick up pieces of shrapnel on our way to school. Get dressed you're going to school!"

I'd send you some good sausages but I'm guessing they might smell a bit by the time they arrive.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd send you some good sausages but I'm guessing they might smell a bit by the time they arrive.

Forgot she used to make us cheese and marmite sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches, or sometimes brown sugar sandwiches. Oddly my friends in school never wanted to trade lunches! I guess all 3 were another war thing where food was scarce so anything you could put between slices of bread was a sandwich.

when we were in Australia I had vegemite for breakfast assuming it was just marmite and found out it's not. Close to the same I guess vegemite adds some veggie flavor thus the vege part of the name. Let's just say Lucy was not impressed with Vegemite.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The fact @kerouac9 mentioned Arby's is a travesty to curly fries. Fresh made curly fries, such as the ones you can get at the Washington state fair are the dog's ********.
Don't slander me, my guy. There are lots of better places to get curly fries. I'm simply saying that curly fries are the only thing edible at Arby's.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unpopular opinion, but sweet potato fried are far superior and there is a place in Portland called "Dick's Primal Burger" that'll blow all regular fries away!

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet potato fries are legit AF. I like to pretend they're also healthier.
Same! I mean, they do have more vitamins at least.

Sweet potato fries are slightly higher in calories and carbs but also more nutrient dense than French fries. The greatest nutrient difference is that French fries have no vitamin A, while sweet potato fries are high in this nutrient. Vitamin A is important for your vision and immune system.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excuse me?

Are you thinking of Kurt Warner who took us to the Super Bowl in Tampa?

Or Carson Palmer who took us to the NFC Championship Game?

Or Paddy Driscoll or Paul Christman who actually won NFL titles?

How could our best QB ever be a guy who choked in the only playoff game he managed to back into?
Sorry, but I’ll take a 25 year old superstar over a 37 year old HOF’er every time. And please don’t bring up Palmer, who won 1 playoff game in his ENTIRE career. And he was lucky to win that one. I would give more love to Hart & Lomax than Palmer. And sorry, but Warner was here for a cup of coffee and gone.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, but I’ll take a 25 year old superstar over a 37 year old HOF’er every time. And please don’t bring up Palmer, who won 1 playoff game in his ENTIRE career. And he was lucky to win that one. I would give more love to Hart & Lomax than Palmer. And sorry, but Warner was here for a cup of coffee and gone.

Some cup... some coffee!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You don't know what happened, but cut him if you don't know what happened?

Weird take.
We do know what supposedly happened. Sorry, but I know of too many moron Cardinal players over the last 60 years of watching this franchise that I have zero tolerance for stupidity. For the 1st time in his NFL career, he has an opportunity to START, and he’s supposedly cooking with hot oil?? Whatever. Sorry, but I know that I wouldn’t be doing that if I had a chance to get a decent contract in the NFL. If I’m the GM, do you think I would risk spending big money on this kid moving forward? Maybe, but probably not.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some cup... some coffee!
Agree. I was one of the few that pushed for Warner to start over Leinart very early on. Before everyone knew what a loser Leinart truly was. Even though I love Warner for getting us to a SB, he wasn’t here long enough to be considered the greatest in Cardinal history. And he was very fortunate that the NFC West was putrid during his stay here. That 9-7 team wouldn’t even qualify for a playoff spot now.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I cook EVERY day, and yet, I’m somehow never near hot grease. If I’m a journeyman CB in the NFL about to finally get my chance to earn legitimate money, you can bet I’d be taking EVERY precaution to make sure something as idiotic as this doesn’t even remotely happen.
I just couldnt disagree with this any more. A tablespoon of olive oil could have caused those burns. You dont know ANY circumstances. Must be lonely up there on that high horse.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

if you order the fries well done at In-N-Out they're decent. But yeah... they are straight up ABYSMAL if you order them as is. it's bizarre how bad they are.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't slander me, my guy. There are lots of better places to get curly fries. I'm simply saying that curly fries are the only thing edible at Arby's.
enough with the Arby's slander! Arby's red sauce is to die for. In fact, in college when times were tough and wallets were empty, my friends and I used to raid the only Arby's in town to steal all their sauce so we could make Arby's sauce sandwiches. Just white bread and sauce. Delicious!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just couldnt disagree with this any more. A tablespoon of olive oil could have caused those burns. You dont know ANY circumstances. Must be lonely up there on that high horse.
A tablespoon of olive oil burned both feet and both hands? And hospitalized him? If he could possibly pull that off, the last place he belongs is on a football field.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Question. I was wondering the other day what do you guys call fries that are chunky?

Here we have chips and fries. Chips being good old fashioned fat "fries" not Chips which are what we call Crisps. You seem to only have fries. Are you missing out on a good old fashioned British chip?
Question. Are chips traditionally supposed to be not crispy? I dont wanna say soggy, but Ive had a long running argument with a buddy of mine. We call proper chips steak fries.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Quick taxonomy of American french fry names:
Steak Fries are maybe what you call "chunky" which are basically potato wedges that are baked or deep fried. This is sneakily the best kind of fry.
Waffle Fries are essentially potato rounds that are turned into a waffle pattern by some kind of witchcraft. This is the second- or third-best kind of fry.
Crinkle-cut fries are kind of rippley and gross.
Curly fries are the only real competitor to waffle fries as the best. They're like spun edges of fries and highly seasoned. This is the only reason to go to Arby's, tbh.
Fries are essentially potato sticks that are anywhere less than 1/2" (1 cm) on the short edge.
Shoestring fries are extremely narrow (< 5 mm on the short edge) fries that are gross and unneeded.
Freddy's shoestring fries are nice.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Steak Fries... I think that is the only fry we have in Texas when it is not being offered from a fast food chain
I would rather have mashed potatoes than steak fries. red Robin all you can eat steak fries is one of the biggest con jobs in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA