Hamilton Out 4 Weeks - Cooking Injury

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Question. I was wondering the other day what do you guys call fries that are chunky?

Here we have chips and fries. Chips being good old fashioned fat "fries" not Chips which are what we call Crisps. You seem to only have fries. Are you missing out on a good old fashioned British chip?

We just call every shape and size "fries".
Quick taxonomy of American french fry names:
Steak Fries are maybe what you call "chunky" which are basically potato wedges that are baked or deep fried. This is sneakily the best kind of fry.
Waffle Fries are essentially potato rounds that are turned into a waffle pattern by some kind of witchcraft. This is the second- or third-best kind of fry.
Crinkle-cut fries are kind of rippley and gross.
Curly fries are the only real competitor to waffle fries as the best. They're like spun edges of fries and highly seasoned. This is the only reason to go to Arby's, tbh.
Fries are essentially potato sticks that are anywhere less than 1/2" (1 cm) on the short edge.
Shoestring fries are extremely narrow (< 5 mm on the short edge) fries that are gross and unneeded.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steak Fries are maybe what you call "chunky" which are basically potato wedges that are baked or deep fried. This is sneakily the best kind of fry.
Waffle Fries are essentially potato rounds that are turned into a waffle pattern by some kind of witchcraft. This is the second- or third-best kind of fry.
Curly fries are the only real competitor to waffle fries as the best. They're like spun edges of fries and highly seasoned. This is the only reason to go to Arby's, tbh.
Fries
are essentially potato sticks that are anywhere less than 1/2" (1 cm) on the short edge.
Shoestring fries are extremely narrow (< 5 mm on the short edge) fries that are gross and unneeded.
The reason to go to Arby's wasn't the curly fries, it was the potato cakes that they discontinued for some stupid reason.
Carl's Jr has the same type of fries as Arbys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fries are essentially potato sticks that are anywhere less than 1/2" (1 cm) on the short edge.
Right but they are all "fries".

Waffle fries are near the best. Fresh cut curly fries are the best IMO. Tom's BBQ in Tempe used to serve those and they are unbeatable.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Waffle fries are near the best. Fresh cut curly fries are the best IMO. Tom's BBQ in Tempe used to serve those and they are unbeatable.
I see your Tom's BBQ fries, and raise you ATL fries from ATL Wings.

Not only the best fries, but the best hot wings on the planet... and I have had wings from at least 100 different places, including the two in Buffalo that fight over creating them.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Which Tom’s BBQ? The one on Mill and Baseline? I think there’s still one by the Cards facility on Elliot and Hardy.

I think Tom’s fries are gross — my MiL loves going there tho.
I see your Tom's BBQ fries, and raise you ATL fries from ATL Wings.

Not only the best fries, but the best hot wings on the planet... and I have had wings from at least 100 different places, including the two in Buffalo that fight over creating them.

Are all ATL wings the same? There’s two convenient to me. I’ve gotten at both places and they’re good but not transcendent. I probably got the wrong ones tho!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which Tom’s BBQ? The one on Mill and Baseline? I think there’s still one by the Cards facility on Elliot and Hardy.

I think Tom’s fries are gross — my MiL loves going there tho.

Are all ATL wings the same? There’s two convenient to me. I’ve gotten at both places and they’re good but not transcendent. I probably got the wrong ones tho!
You have to get either the ATL rub, or the Spicy ATL.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Question. I was wondering the other day what do you guys call fries that are chunky?

Here we have chips and fries. Chips being good old fashioned fat "fries" not Chips which are what we call Crisps. You seem to only have fries. Are you missing out on a good old fashioned British chip?

We call them 'wedges' up here.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was traveling a lot, I had a personal chef. She cooked and put it all in the freezer for me.

@kerouac9 you forgot chili fries.

Nothing to see here.. carry on

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My mom was British. Bangers are awesome, I can occasionally get good ones here. Also grew up eating Welsh rarebit and yorkshire pudding. first time I made yorkshire pudding my GF said that's not pudding I thought it was dessert so I explained to her how during the War British people used it to soak up anything they could find to add flavor and it became popular sort of like how Hawaiians and Filipinos love Spam which was made as a meat substitute during the war.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Steak Fries... I think that is the only fry we have in Texas when it is not being offered from a fast food chain

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In #birdcity we only eat crinkle cut fries. We know they’re awful but we’ll keep putting them in front of you until you decide it’s not worth fighting over.
Crinkle fries are still fries. As long as they are hot and immediately seasoned... a bad fry is still good eats.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also:

Short fries Steve Keim's undersized draft picks - usually 5'10" or shorter - regardless of position

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love me some spam & eggs.

My dad told me all they had aboard ship in WWII was Spam, Navy beans and sos. If you opened a can of Spam within 20' of him his gag reflex kicked in. btw, I ate tons of fried Spam as a kid. We couldn't afford bacon.

Monty Python sends regards....

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We just call every shape and size "fries".

That's just confusing! How do you communicate your fries size preference?

If you see "with fries" on a menu do you have to ask "Excuse me. Are they skinny fries or fat fries?"

No wonder China is winning...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave