Bill Bidwill to be inducted into Cards Ring of Honor

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Halftime of the regular season home opener. I would guess there will be some mixed opinions on this, but not really surprising that Michael would want his dad inducted.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was a nice man and generous to the community but the team was a disaster for many years with him as owner. What were his contributions to the NFL and to the Cardinals?? IMO, none.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like it or not he is and was a Cardinal Icon. It’s warranted. Bill got the new stadium everyone loves. Bill chose to bring the team that everyone loves to this town. He was a true philanthropist in the Phoenix area and helped thousands in the community. He owned the team during its most successful seasons. Granted way more bad then good. But anyone arguing this is silly. JMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Some of you guys are just **** people.

Bill Bidwill was a great guy. a nice person and an honorable man.
maybe some of you recall he got screwed badly by moving the Cardinals to Arizona??? anybody remember why??

Because he made a deal, he shook a mans hand, and he moved his team. He moved a multi million dollar franchise across the country on a handshake....but the hand he shook was not an honorable man. Sure, he should have gotten a contract. But a mans word is his bond. Once you shake hands that deal is done. This is how an honorable man does business though I wouldnt expect most of you to understand.

even after getting screwed out of millions by arizona,...Billy B still donated to the community, built houses for the needy and fed the homeless in arizona.

He never built any great football teams. But he committed to making Arizona home for the cardinals and to making the Cardinals an asset to the community.

Bill Bidwill deserves to be in the Ring of Honor.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

maybe some of you recall he got screwed badly by moving the Cardinals to Arizona??? anybody remember why??

Because he made a deal, he shook a mans hand, and he moved his team. He moved a multi million dollar franchise across the country on a handshake....but the hand he shook was not an honorable man. Sure, he should have gotten a contract. But a mans word is his bond. Once you shake hands that deal is done. This is how an honorable man does business though I wouldnt expect most of you to understand.

even after getting screwed out of millions by arizona,...Billy B still donated to the community, built houses for the needy and fed the homeless in arizona.

He never built any great football teams. But he committed to making Arizona home for the cardinals and to making the Cardinals an asset to the community.

Absolutely 1000% You just said it better than I did

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Oh, so that makes me an "asterisk" person? lol Whatever. No one's questioning he was a nice guy and an honorable man. Ever hear the phrase "Nice guys finish last?" Maybe he shouldn't have made such a major decision based solely on a handshake?

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh, so that makes me an "asterisk" person? lol Whatever. No one's questioning he was a nice guy and an honorable man. Ever hear the phrase "Nice guys finish last?" Maybe he shouldn't have made such a major decision based solely on a handshake?
I've closed many a deal on just a handshake. That's how it used to be done when men were real men and backed up their word not like alot of the panty waists of today. Yes, I got burned once or twice but that's the way it used to be done and I'm pretty sure that's what happened to him.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Like it or not he is and was a Cardinal Icon. It’s warranted. Bill got the new stadium everyone loves. Bill chose to bring the team that everyone loves to this town. He was a true philanthropist in the Phoenix area and helped thousands in the community. He owned the team during its most successful seasons. Granted way more bad then good. But anyone arguing this is silly. JMO.
The “ring” should be held for the guys under helmet IMO. I’d rather see a statue of mr b, twice the size of Tillman’s, just inside the north entrance of the stadium; they could build it as such no one could touch it, and his life’s timeline documented in a story that reads as you walk 360 degrees around it.

I don’t like him being in the ROH. The only thing I don’t like more is Carson being in the ROH (and I liked Carson).

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The “ring” should be held for the guys under helmet IMO. I’d rather see a statue of mr b, twice the size of Tillman’s, just inside the north entrance of the stadium; they could build it as such no one could touch it, and his life’s timeline documented in a story that reads as you walk 360 degrees around it.

I don’t like him being in the ROH. The only thing I don’t like more is Carson being in the ROH (and I liked Carson).
I actually think that would be a great tribute. Great idea. But I don’t have issue with this either.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

No one questions whether he was a great guy. I’m sure he was by all accounts. That alone and the fact he was the owner certainly meets the criteria for induction. Sadly, as a fan for almost 60 years, I can attest to what an inept owner he was. And the fact he came to AZ on a handshake is just further evidence of his ineptness as an owner of any type of franchise. Living an hour away, it still galls me that he didn’t take Baltimore’s offer. It was a FAR better offer, not a handshake deal, and we could have stayed in the NFC East & kept our traditional rivalries with Dallas, Philly, NYG, and Washington. The fans of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s got screwed.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

People who do not like the move need to remember one thing, you would not have the Cardinals (this does not mean just being in Arizona, but surviving and being part of the NFL for so long) without him

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
No one questions whether he was a great guy. I’m sure he was by all accounts. That alone and the fact he was the owner certainly meets the criteria for induction. Sadly, as a fan for almost 60 years, I can attest to what an inept owner he was. And the fact he came to AZ on a handshake is just further evidence of his ineptness as an owner of any type of franchise. Living an hour away, it still galls me that he didn’t take Baltimore’s offer. It was a FAR better offer, not a handshake deal, and we could have stayed in the NFC East & kept our traditional rivalries with Dallas, Philly, NYG, and Washington. The fans of the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s got screwed.
So... you agree he was a nice guy.

You agree he deserves to be in the RoH

But you decided to take this opportunity to **** on the man anyway.

WOW!!

Kudos to you!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So... you agree he was a nice guy.

You agree he deserves to be in the RoH

But you decided to take this opportunity to **** on the man anyway.

WOW!!

Kudos to you!
Eh, point out what he said that was inaccurate.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eh, point out what he said that was inaccurate.
Did i ever state he was inaccurate?
Even though what he expressed was an opinion?

No.

However. In MY opinion, coming into a thread discussing honoring a man for his lifes work and accomplishments,...and spouting opinions on the mans failings,... well thats just low class.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Did i ever state he was inaccurate?
Even though what he expressed was an opinion?

No.

However. In MY opinion, coming into a thread discussing honoring a man for his lifes work and accomplishments,...and spouting opinions on the mans failings,... well thats just low class.
I don’t think that’s what this thread is. This thread title stated a fact that he’s being inducted. People can have different opinions about whether he’s worthy. And if this thread is about “his life’s work” as you intimidate it’s entirely appropriate to discuss his pluses and his failings, particularly if a football owner whose team had more of the latter than the former.

But go ahead, and in the age-old tradition of ASFN, attack another poster for their opinion on the football-related subject matter. Kudos to you classy guy!