I dunno, do we really see it with Kyler?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

we need to see some improvement from the kid

I for one am really hoping he takes a leap this season, not just a step.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping we see far less panic, less failing to throw the ball away and stepping out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, and learning to step up in the pocket instead of just taking off…

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m hoping we see far less panic, less failing to throw the ball away and stepping out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage, and learning to step up in the pocket instead of just taking off…

I checked this running out of bounds behind the LOS. He had like 3 all season for -3 yards. Similar if not better to every running QB. But I agree with the rest.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I checked the play logs for every game on PFR. Feel free to put the same effort in.
So, no link? You literally looked at every single play in every single game? Okay. I, and I'm sure many others, can easily remember more than that. Your attempts at revisionist history is astounding. Everything was perfect last year, we finished on a rosy high, and KM was a perfect QB. I get what your overall messaging is.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, no link? You literally looked at every single play in every single game? Okay. I, and I'm sure many others, can easily remember more than that. Your attempts at revisionist history is astounding. Everything was perfect last year, we finished on a rosy high, and KM was a perfect QB. I get what your overall messaging is.

Do you really need a link? You go to PFR, you find the game, you go to play by play. But here you go.

You find the plays where it says "Kyler Murray right end for 2 yards" (these are designed runs) or "Kyler Murray scrambles left tackle for 8 yards" (These are obvs scrambles) and then at the top you can click to the next game.

You can see, he had none in the Titans game.

I've done it before and posted about it before. Maybe I'm off with the exact stats, maybe it's 4 all season for -10 yards, I can't recall exactly. I do recall it's not a lot. Certainly not to the point that it's something that should concern us.

He does have a lot of no gain runs and I think fans are counting them.

Stout

Reaction score
Do you really need a link? You go to PFR, you find the game, you go to play by play. But here you go.

You find the plays where it says "Kyler Murray right end for 2 yards" (these are designed runs) or "Kyler Murray scrambles left tackle for 8 yards" (These are obvs scrambles) and then at the top you can click to the next game.

I've done it before and posted about it before. Maybe I'm off with the exact stats, maybe it's 4 all season for -10 yards, I can't recall exactly. I do recall it's not a lot. Certainly not to the point that it's something that should concern us.

Thank you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

So I just did the first 8 before injury.

He had 3 negative runs for a total of 8 yards. One of them was late in the 4th vs the Rams when we were just running to eat clock and he sat down on a run.

That's more than half his season. If you want to do the rest feel free but either way it's not really a major issue.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The key with him is reading the defense and knowing where to go with the ball if the first option is not open

Which leads to the above

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Those 3 things still need improvement. He's now entering year 4, got his "bag". No excuses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The thing that Kyler needs to do is just lift the floor on his negative plays. This is what Warner harps on all the time. Just like there are a handful of plays in most games where Kyler does something you've never seen before on a pro football field, there are a handful of plays in most games that are just face-palm awful.

If those C- plays could turn into B- plays, we can stay on schedule so much more efficiently.

Stout

Reaction score
The thing that Kyler needs to do is just lift the floor on his negative plays. This is what Warner harps on all the time. Just like there are a handful of plays in most games where Kyler does something you've never seen before on a pro football field, there are a handful of plays in most games that are just face-palm awful.

If those C- plays could turn into B- plays, we can stay on schedule so much more efficiently.
Well put. Or, if those E and F plays would become Incompletes, he would be on a straight track to the HoF. Doesn't guarantee a ring or more, but it would give us a yearly shot.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One thing evident looking through last year was how many bad snaps there were.

Far more bad snaps leading to negative plays than Kyler running for a loss. That really need's fixing.
Kyler had a bottom-rung rushing DVOA last season largely due to bad snaps. That's what FO said in their annual.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I can't remember whether it was Alex Rollins or Warner, but I watched a Murray game film breakdown where the analyst showed how much Murray relies on alert throws. It's a bread and butter of his game and if teams take it away, Murray struggles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Kyler had a bottom-rung rushing DVOA last season largely due to bad snaps. That's what FO said in their annual.
That's some horrible analysis.

Let's call him negative, even though when Murray runs the Cardinals are more successful.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's some horrible analysis.

Let's call him negative, even though when Murray runs the Cardinals are more successful.
That's just the way the algorithm works:

His poor rushing DVOA last season is the result of all those Arizona fumbled snaps, which get counted as running plays in the official NFL stats. When it comes to actual runs, the threat of Murray taking off remains firmly implanted in the back of defensive coordinators’ minds.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing evident looking through last year was how many bad snaps there were.

Far more bad snaps leading to negative plays than Kyler running for a loss. That really need's fixing.

Yeah Hudson struggled with them all year. Hopefully he's better at it but I also think it says we need to be under C more, also allows us to do more play action.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA