Cards 2022 Training Camp July 26th

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Getting worrying that this kid is hurt this bad already. Unlike the vets, he needs preseason reps.

Hurt this bad? He tweaked his back. He's still been training just not taking reps. Anyone who ever had a back injury knows they take a little time and you got to wait until they fully healed.

He never missed a college game with injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hurt this bad? He tweaked his back. He's still been training just not taking reps. Anyone who ever had a back injury knows they take a little time and you got to wait until they fully healed.

He never missed a college game with injury.
He's a rookie not taking reps in training camp, and there's not much training camp left. He may be healthy for the season, but he won't be ready for it. Time to lower expectations for the kid. He'll need a lot of time just to get up to speed.

Btw, yes, I know how bad back injuries can be. That's why I understand how big a problem this has been.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the TE we should be watching is Maxx Williams. If he is able to go from Day One (RS), Trey McBride will be brought along slowly. And he and the team will benefit. JMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the TE we should be watching is Maxx Williams. If he is able to go from Day One (RS), Trey McBride will be brought along slowly. And he and the team will benefit. JMO.

Yeah McBride likely to be TE3 to start the season anyway so him being a little behind won't matter much. Maxx going to be full go and they lose him as a blocker with receiving upside.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
TE’s rarely have a big impact in their rookie year. Pitts was an anomaly in getting 1k yards… but still had only 1 TD.

Hockensen - 365yrd 2tds, Fant 560yrds 3tds. Both 1st rounders and more highly touted than McBride. I’d be happy if McBride matched even those stats this year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to an interview with the TE coach yesterday. He said Maxx will definitely be ready to play in the opener. He also said McBride practiced yesterday in full pads. He said McBride is fast, very smart, has great hands, and loves football.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely, a great pick. Maxx is a VG TE, but injury questions persist. Zach is not young. So, in building your roster it's GREAT to have a guy like Trey waiting in the wings. Provided he's as good as advertised. IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I know. Silly to plan for the future...
It's a sad state of affairs in the NFL, but the league is set up to where you need to draft instant impact players with high draft picks. I don't like it, and fought the trend for years, but it is what it is. You don't get a chance to slowly develop a 2nd round pick any longer. If they don't hit right away, it's a setback.

Look at what the DJ pick did to us for a few years. His lack of preparedness was a huge setback, having a 1st-round pick languishing on the bench, or in street clothes. He eventually came through for us, but not having that impact player was rough. We're seeing it with our ILB picks as well, as much as I still lobby for Simmons. It is what it is.

We need 2nd rounders to come in and help the team now, not in a few years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a sad state of affairs in the NFL, but the league is set up to where you need to draft instant impact players with high draft picks. I don't like it, and fought the trend for years, but it is what it is. You don't get a chance to slowly develop a 2nd round pick any longer. If they don't hit right away, it's a setback.

Look at what the DJ pick did to us for a few years. His lack of preparedness was a huge setback, having a 1st-round pick languishing on the bench, or in street clothes. He eventually came through for us, but not having that impact player was rough. We're seeing it with our ILB picks as well, as much as I still lobby for Simmons. It is what it is.

He will come in and help the team now. I imagine they will give him a limited playbook or receiving plays with little blocking to start off. A mix of spelling for Ertz so Ertz can play less snaps. And plays designed for 2 receiving TE's.

But as said above. TE transitioning is tough in the NFL. Even highly touted 1st round picks have struggled. I expect them to bring him through slowly this year until the inevitable Maxx or Ertz injury where he will get more time.

I think we will see 15-20 snaps a game from him still to start.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

DJ was drafted as a 20-year-old, late in the first, and it was clearly stated at the time that he was an investment in the future.

A bad example too often repeated.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's a rookie not taking reps in training camp, and there's not much training camp left. He may be healthy for the season, but he won't be ready for it. Time to lower expectations for the kid. He'll need a lot of time just to get up to speed.

Btw, yes, I know how bad back injuries can be. That's why I understand how big a problem this has been.
He is practicing and he got reps the entire early rookie week. I echo a little caution regarding expectations because of the team liking Ertz and Maxx but I do expect McBride to contribute.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave