The Durant Sweepstakes

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-
Shams only added the Suns to the list AFTER he got destroyed on Twitter for not saying anything about us.
Well done folks, I cant do the twitter thing.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Ayton can be aggressive as Amare he will instantly be one of the greatest big man of all time. As is, I think Ayton is actually more valuable than post microfracture Amare.

I just don’t see Ayton being that aggressive, you either are that guy or you are not. Just like how Amare was never going to become a good defender and rebounder.
Yeah I don't think DA is that kind of dog. But he does tons of stuff on the court that Amare couldn't do.
Take away DA's defensive responsibilities and I'm sure he would improve his scoring.
Tough to get both with a big man that's a lot of movement for a giant.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think DA is that kind of dog. But he does tons of stuff on the court that Amare couldn't do.
Take away DA's defensive responsibilities and I'm sure he would improve his scoring.
Tough to get both with a big man that's a lot of movement for a giant.
I don’t get this. Throughout time we’ve seen plenty of the best big men provide both. Duncan, robinson, Ewing, embiid, shaq, mourning, olajawon, kareem, Moses. Most don’t excel at both ends due to skill or physical limitation (dikembe’s lack of offensive skill, jokic’s limited athleticism) but it’s not because it’s too much to do both. Ayton was the #1 pick in a loaded draft. He is extremely athletic and moves really well. He is not limited by his athleticism on the defensive end and he has considerable skill on the offensive end. I would expect him to excel at both ends of the court.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Ayton can be aggressive as Amare he will instantly be one of the greatest big man of all time. As is, I think Ayton is actually more valuable than post microfracture Amare.

I just don’t see Ayton being that aggressive, you either are that guy or you are not. Just like how Amare was never going to become a good defender and rebounder.
Post-microfracture Amare was first team All-NBA and made multiple all star games. Aggressiveness isn't the only thing keeping Ayton from dominating like Amare. He's less skilled on offense. He has a few very efficient moves, but he's a 1 (maybe 1.5)-dimensional scorer kind of like Bridges. Amare could score in a variety of ways.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Post-microfracture Amare was first team All-NBA and made multiple all star games. Aggressiveness isn't the only thing keeping Ayton from dominating like Amare. He's less skilled on offense. He has a few very efficient moves, but he's a 1 (maybe 1.5)-dimensional scorer kind of like Bridges. Amare could score in a variety of ways.
Hmm. Not sure about that. Amare was just extremely aggressive and quick to the hoop. Ayton has skills that Amare did not have. He has a hook shot Amare did not have. He has a better turnaround jumper than Amare had at this level in his career. Amare developed a three of sorts but that was later. Ayton is tons better at defense. He is a better rebounder too, although Amare was not a bad rebounder.

The thing that made Amare different was his aggression.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure about that. Amare was just extremely aggressive and quick to the hoop. Ayton has skills that Amare did not have. He is tons better at defense. He is a better rebounder too, although Amare was not a bad rebounder.

He’s much less skilled on offense. Amare not only had a lightning quick first step, but also had handles and a solid jumper that was becoming pretty consistent by his 3rd season. Beyond being the best rolling big man on offense, Amare could face up, post with a killer spin move and sought contact to get him to the line.

I think people really forget how dominant Amare was on offense pre-micro fracture. Yes, he was Uber aggressive, but he had every tool needed to make the best of that aggression.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure about that. Amare was just extremely aggressive and quick to the hoop. Ayton has skills that Amare did not have. He has a hook shot Amare did not have. He has a better turnaround jumper than Amare had at this level in his career. Amare developed a three of sorts but that was later. Ayton is tons better at defense. He is a better rebounder too, although Amare was not a bad rebounder.

Amare’s jumper was becoming automatic during the 05’ postseason and he was an incredible finisher on non-dunks. His footwork and polish had taken huge strides from his rookie year to year 3.
-

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t get this. Throughout time we’ve seen plenty of the best big men provide both. Duncan, robinson, Ewing, embiid, shaq, mourning, olajawon, kareem, Moses. Most don’t excel at both ends due to skill or physical limitation (dikembe’s lack of offensive skill, jokic’s limited athleticism) but it’s not because it’s too much to do both. Ayton was the #1 pick in a loaded draft. He is extremely athletic and moves really well. He is not limited by his athleticism on the defensive end and he has considerable skill on the offensive end. I would expect him to excel at both ends of the court.
And yet hes not.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
I remember a few games i went to back then Amare was always doing extra work before games and doing everything possible to improve his game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Although not a finished project, the gifts/traits Amare Stoudemire possessed could never be taught. Those attributes were god given IMO. Kobe wasn't coached to be a killer. Neither was Amare.

Ayton is tissue soft. That's his game. He has massive gifts himself like his greek god level physique. the kid needs to get a handle. Not Embid level, but he needs to be able to pump, drive and finish at the rack with impunity or pass to the open wing on the move.

Give me that and I'll be pleased.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the latest update on the Durant sweepstakes, with the Suns lagging behind. The Celtics and 76ers appear to be among the top contenders.

The Sixers don’t have assets to trade after the Harden deal.

My guess is Boston gets it’s done… but if I’m them, I don’t throw the works at the Nets. I heard Jalen Brown, Robert Williams, White and picks is what NJ wants. I’d tell them they can get brown, white and picks or pound sand.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Sixers don’t have assets to trade after the Harden deal.

My guess is Boston gets it’s done… but if I’m them, I don’t throw the works at the Nets. I heard Jalen Brown, Robert Williams, White and picks is what NJ wants. I’d tell them they can get brown, white and picks or pound sand.

Boston seems to have the pieces to get it done if the reports are true. One has to wonder why it hasn't happened, if accurate.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unless KD comes out and says "I want to go to Phoenix period" we will keep lagging behind. We have nothing they want, that were willing to give up.
Need more teams involved or just say forget it and move on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless KD comes out and says "I want to go to Phoenix period" we will keep lagging behind. We have nothing they want, that were willing to give up.
Need more teams involved or just say forget it and move on.

I think that's where we were.

We need the Kevint Durant trade situation resolved, so we can move on to Donovan Mitchell, Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, John Collins and so forth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the latest update on the Durant sweepstakes, with the Suns lagging behind. The Celtics and 76ers appear to be among the top contenders.

Btw, Flex from Jersey was still a believer on his August 8th podcast.

No chance KD ends up in Philly. He and Harden didn't get along last season in Brooklyn, he's not going to accept a deal to join him in Philly.

Boston would make sense and probably have made a deal already if they didn't reach the finals last year but I believe they'll be better in the long run without KD. They've already had a superstar not pan out there recently with the Kyrie experiment so they're probably hesitant to try to take another shortcut. They aren't that far from being a title team now either. I like their recent move for Brogdan also. He's no KD but would have made a difference for them in the GS series.

Flex is an idiot but he can't back out at this point. His career as an insider depends on KD becoming a Sun. If he claims the Suns are out now after having done nothing of real note all off-season to warrant bowing out then he'll look like an even bigger dunce.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I read a report this afternoon that said Durant would be open to playing with Smart in Boston. If they’re serious about offering Brown, I don’t think the Nets can do better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the recent meeting between the Nets owner and Durant, I think this could have stretched out until the trade deadline. Now it looks like things may happen before training camp.

The Suns appear to have the best out of conference offer on the table, but it's simply not enough for the Nets to save face.

If the Suns could acquire another first round pick and included Cam Johnson, a deal might be there for the making. They could then offer 5 first round picks.

There were rumors the Suns were trying to trade Jae Crowder before the draft. This may be why.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regard to the above, the Suns need Crowder's salary to make it work to keep Bridges out of the equation.

If Nets could trade Crowder to another team in a three or four team trade for a first round pick it might work.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a report this afternoon that said Durant would be open to playing with Smart in Boston. If they’re serious about offering Brown, I don’t think the Nets can do better.

If rumors are correct, Jaylen Brown has been on the table for a while, yet the trade hasn't happened.

An off the wall thought, maybe Brown has said he will not re-sign with the Nets after the 2023-24 season.

That would slow things down in a hurry.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
No chance KD ends up in Philly. He and Harden didn't get along last season in Brooklyn, he's not going to accept a deal to join him in Philly.

Boston would make sense and probably have made a deal already if they didn't reach the finals last year but I believe they'll be better in the long run without KD. They've already had a superstar not pan out there recently with the Kyrie experiment so they're probably hesitant to try to take another shortcut. They aren't that far from being a title team now either. I like their recent move for Brogdan also. He's no KD but would have made a difference for them in the GS series.

Flex is an idiot but he can't back out at this point. His career as an insider depends on KD becoming a Sun. If he claims the Suns are out now after having done nothing of real note all off-season to warrant bowing out then he'll look like an even bigger dunce.
I’m not 100% sure he wouldn’t want to go there just to play with Embiid. It’s a pretty easy trade as well; Maxey/Harris/picks for KD.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not 100% sure he wouldn’t want to go there just to play with Embiid. It’s a pretty easy trade as well; Maxey/Harris/picks for KD.

that deal can't trump a Jalen Brown deal. and didn't they give up picks in the Harden deal? those picks would have to be wayyyyyy down the line.

but Maxey/Harris trumps Bridges/stuff/picks because of Maxey's youth/pside. either way, both sixers/suns deals can't compete with Boston if Brown is really on the table.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know. KD dissed Harden last year during the All-Star team selection process and that was for 1 game. I don't see KD being cool with teaming up with Harden again, especially for a team whose GM has coddled Harden in the past.