Kemba Walker linked to the Suns in FA..

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At this point in their careers, Payne is better, but if Walker were able to accept a role with very spotty playing time and the team believes him... I'd be fine with it.

I hope the Suns start to do some "game management" with Paul and I also hope that when Shamet or Payne go through protracted slumps that we have at least another option to throw out there. Walker is still a solid shooter who can get hot... he can't really do anything else anymore but as an 11th man, on what I assume would be a minimum contract, you could do far worse.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At this point in their careers, Payne is better

I'm not so sure. Payne's collapse is a big concern. I think he caught people by surprise for a little while, but now he's back to the same player who couldn't stay in the league. Defenses sit on his weird running banked floater, and they know that he'll make bad decisions if they pressure him.

Walker needs to get his body working again, but it wouldn't surprise me if he turned out to be an improvement over Payne.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point in their careers, Payne is better, but if Walker were able to accept a role with very spotty playing time and the team believes him... I'd be fine with it.

I hope the Suns start to do some "game management" with Paul and I also hope that when Shamet or Payne go through protracted slumps that we have at least another option to throw out there. Walker is still a solid shooter who can get hot... he can't really do anything else anymore but as an 11th man, on what I assume would be a minimum contract, you could do far worse.
Screw that. Walker should be given a chance to take the job from Payne.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am fine with adding Walker. He is 32. As long as it does not cost much.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Walker's knee makes him 100% unreliable. He should retire.

I understand this is a low risk move, but I would rather go with a young player who has a chance to progress.

I am against this move.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understand this is a low risk move, but I would rather go with a young player who has a chance to progress.

I am against this move.

It's risky. Medical questions would need to be addressed. The linked article by Marc Berman of The New York Post discusses it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's risky. Medical questions would need to be addressed. The linked article by Marc Berman of The New York Post discusses it.

Yikes! Doesn't sound like a risk worth taking. It would be one thing if the Suns were way under the cap and had open roster positions. In this case? The Suns need players they can rely on. I didn't know this about Walker. I would say pass.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kemba 1.8M
Ish 1.25M

I'd take kemba. There's a chance he could go off in maybe 5-10 games a year. I'd take that or even spurt minutes in the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kemba 1.8M
Ish 1.25M

I'd take kemba. There's a chance he could go off in maybe 5-10 games a year. I'd take that or even spurt minutes in the playoffs.

A couple of differences, although not dealbreakers.

Ish Wainright is on a two-way contract.

Kemba Walker would have to be on the 15-man roster and earn a veteran minimum salary of about $2,905,851.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I am against this move.
Ok. Then who? At this point, who would realistically fit as a young player who has a chance to progress?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ok. Then who? At this point, who would realistically fit as a young player who has a chance to progress?
Exactly...as a 3rd PG, why not take a chance on a guy that can potentially give you more than just holding on minutes?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign Kemba to a non-guaranteed deal so if his knee gives out they cut him and there's no risk. There isn't anyone available that is better so it's not like they're passing on someone to bring in Kemba.

Anyone against bringing in Kemba on a minimum deal has unrealistic views of what's still available. It's basically Kemba, Schroeder, or risk not having a 3rd PG until buyouts in February. I'll take Kemba over the other options, easily. Whether his deal is guaranteed or not, the Suns have waived injured players before if they couldn't contribute so I'm not worried about Kemba holding a spot if he can't play. It's Sarver's money, not mine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose