17.7 million left to spend....what do you hope the Cardinals do with the remaining monies?

Where do go with the rest of cap space

• Total voters

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
They could drop a bit of it my way.

We needa NT....

Dont want to see it wasted on an edge player. We have lots of young talented dudes...put the pressure on them, let them know in no uncertain terms we nned at least one of them to step up and become a star ...right.damn.now.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we extended Humphries, our cap space increased by $5M. If we extend Thompson, Allen, and Murphy, am I wrong in thinking that our cap will increase even more?
Yes chopper explain this how they’re all on the last year of rookie deals and their salary cap would most likely increase not decrease.

Tyler3450

All Star
Reaction score

As of August 2nd​

Wide receivers​

1) Odell Beckham Jr., Los Angeles Rams
2) Antonio Brown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
3) Emmanuel Sanders, Buffalo Bills
4) Cole Beasley, Buffalo Bills
5) Will Fuller, Miami Dolphins
6) T.Y. Hilton, Indianapolis Colts
7) John Ross, New York Giants
8) Adam Humphries, Washington Commanders
9) Willie Snead, Carolina Panthers
10) DeSean Jackson, Las Vegas Raiders

Offensive line​

1) JC Tretter, Cleveland Browns
2) Eric Fisher, Indianapolis Colts
3) Duane Brown, Seattle Seahawks
4) Bobby Massie, Denver Broncos
5) Jason Peters, Chicago Bears
6) Brandon Shell, Seattle Seahawks
7) Tyrell Crosby, Detroit Lions

Interior defensive line​

1) Linval Joseph, Los Angeles Chargers
2) Sheldon Richardson, Cleveland Browns
3) Malik Jackson, Cleveland Browns
4) Ndamukong Suh, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

EDGE​

1) Everson Griffen, Minnesota Vikings
2) Trey Flowers, Detroit Lions
3) Jason Pierre-Paul, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
4) Carl Nassib, Las Vegas Raiders
5) Takkarist McKinley, Cleveland Browns

Linebackers​

1) Dont’a Hightower, New England Patriots
2) Anthony Hitchens, Kansas City Chiefs
3) Reggie Ragland, New York Giants
4) Alec Ogletree, Chicago Bears
5) Anthony Barr, Minnesota Vikings
6) Jamie Collins, New England Patriots

Defensive backs​

1) A.J. Bouye, Carolina Panthers
2) Chris Harris Jr., Los Angeles Chargers
3) Kevin King, Green Bay Packers
4) Xavier Rhodes, Indianapolis Colts

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This years cap space has no bearing on extending Murphy, Thompson etc. That's all future earnings.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
When we extended Humphries, our cap space increased by $5M. If we extend Thompson, Allen, and Murphy, am I wrong in thinking that our cap will increase even more?
But more money problems in the future, I think the NFL is about capped put marketing - the salary cap growth won’t keep growing at this rate. I’m more on the side of solid meat and taters players then stars, seeing how Kyler eats up at least 1/4 of our future.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The whole Thompson situation is going to be a cluster@#$!. 1) Does a team really pay two safeties top end money 2) Thompson is really good while having coverage advantages over Budda, so if you let him play out this season his price is going to skyrocket which is why he just might not want an early extension 3) The Cardinals will probably let him walk and move Simmons to his natural position but that is a gamble, though Simmons has all the ability one can ask for... well, will he be able to take the place of a guy which they seem to be entrusting with the green dot

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole Thompson situation is going to be a cluster@#$!. 1) Does a team really pay two safeties top end money 2) Thompson is really good while having coverage advantages over Budda, so if you let him play out this season his price is going to skyrocket which is why he just might not want an early extension 3) The Cardinals will probably let him walk and move Simmons to his natural position but that is a gamble, though Simmons has all the ability one can ask for... well, will he be able to take the place of a guy which they seem to be entrusting with the green dot
He wants an extension guaranteed… Long-term security now is much more beneficial to him than having a possible career ending injury

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But more money problems in the future, I think the NFL is about capped put marketing - the salary cap growth won’t keep growing at this rate. I’m more on the side of solid meat and taters players then stars, seeing how Kyler eats up at least 1/4 of our future.

Attachments

• meat.jpg
    meat.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 3

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He’s good and I like him but he hasent done near enough to earn a top S salary imo
I know I've heard quite a few people that follow this team say that Jalen is maybe the best defensive player on the team period.

He's probably better than Budda, but I'd argue that Budda isn't quite being used properly.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He’s good and I like him but he hasent done near enough to earn a top S salary imo
injury concerns?

the defense suffers when jalen is sidelined. I can’t say for sure how many games he’s missed but it’s been more than I like

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
unlikely

Hump pre-extension had a cap hit of around $15mm, so there was some room to work with

Murphy has a $3.7mm hit
Thompson $2.6m
Allen $2.8m

hard to reduce those figures via extension.

The good news though is that the team could extend them and not have their current year cap hits go up too much.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple notes on this.

1 - Not cost prohibitive to pay both Baker and Thompson. With how Baker's contract is structured, he has a team out year with minimal dead cap in the final 2024 year. That would be the year where a Thompson extension would have a large jump. You could either cut Baker (he would be 28) or extend him again.

2 - The Simmons situation does potentially impact this but more because of Keim. I believe most GMs would count a bird in the hand vs two in the bush and extend Jalen as his production is high right now and deal with Simmons when you get there. That said, Keim has not shown a priority in retaining his own players. He picks and chooses based upon his own criteria.

3 - Jalen will want a contract sooner vs later. The sticking point is if Keim is trying to hold out for some kind of deal. I would agree that letting Jalen play out his contract year will likely result in him leaving the Cardinals ala Chase Edmonds.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I know I've heard quite a few people that follow this team say that Jalen is maybe the best defensive player on the team period.

He's probably better than Budda, but I'd argue that Budda isn't quite being used properly.
I believe that Jalen probably fits the more modern NFL game than Budda but I also know that Budda has shown the ability to be a box safety as well as a deep safety so he has displayed a lot of versatility. Without all 22 the S position can be tough to decipher. Point of note is that Budda has totaled 5 ints over the past 2 seasons following his first two years of having zero. So the lack of playmaking which was narrative around him early has faded to a degree.

Perfect world is that you keep both.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
A couple notes on this.

1 - Not cost prohibitive to pay both Baker and Thompson. With how Baker's contract is structured, he has a team out year with minimal dead cap in the final 2024 year. That would be the year where a Thompson extension would have a large jump. You could either cut Baker (he would be 28) or extend him again.

2 - The Simmons situation does potentially impact this but more because of Keim. I believe most GMs would count a bird in the hand vs two in the bush and extend Jalen as his production is high right now and deal with Simmons when you get there. That said, Keim has not shown a priority in retaining his own players. He picks and chooses based upon his own criteria.

3 - Jalen will want a contract sooner vs later. The sticking point is if Keim is trying to hold out for some kind of deal. I would agree that letting Jalen play out his contract year will likely result in him leaving the Cardinals ala Chase Edmonds.
I think the more interesting conversation would be, who does the Cardinals value more, Byron Murphy or Jalen Thompson.

As much as I like Jalen, I'd probably extend Murphy over Jalen since Murphy is an above (slightly) average CB. I do wonder if the Cardinals think the way they play defense right now, that you could sign a solid veteran and replace Murphy fairly cheaply.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think the more interesting conversation would be, who does the Cardinals value more, Byron Murphy or Jalen Thompson.

As much as I like Jalen, I'd probably extend Murphy over Jalen since Murphy is an above (slightly) average CB. I do wonder if the Cardinals think the way they play defense right now, that you could sign a solid veteran and replace Murphy fairly cheaply.
Tough choice, because obviously the better player is at the less premium position. That said, I don't think Murphy is an above average CB anywhere outside of the slot.

I'd pay Jalen over Byron, because I see Byron being our defensive version of Christian Kirk next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Who do the Cardinals value more? Tough to tell. I believe the Cardinals are more confident in Jalen vs Byron. I don't believe we would hear as much about Murphy needing to play inside if the Cardinals thought that he was equal at both. The future of the defense brings this a little bit into question. It seems like the Cardinals and Vance are heading to a mutual separation but who knows. In this current defense, I believe Jalen is more valuable.

I am just very comfortable of three years of both Jalen and Baker and then drafting multiple CBs.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Tough choice, because obviously the better player is at the less premium position. That said, I don't think Murphy is an above average CB anywhere outside of the slot.

I'd pay Jalen over Byron, because I see Byron being our defensive version of Christian Kirk next year.
Except...that he was above average outside the slot so "belief" doesn't matter in the equation.