Suns Off-season Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance Stephenson played surprisingly well for the Pacers last season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His 13.6 PER last season was the second-highest of his career.

That would put him at #13 for the Suns behind virtually every rotation player except Craig and Crowder.

I didn't realize Jae Crowder had such an awful PER. He was #14 amongst all Suns players last year with an 11.3.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As pointed out he played last year for the pacers, is a free agent, and can’t be all that expensive.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would put him at #13 for the Suns behind virtually every rotation player except Craig and Crowder.

I didn't realize Jae Crowder had such an awful PER. He was #14 amongst all Suns players last year with an 11.3.
Some of Crowder's value doesn't show up in PER, same with someone like PJ Tucker whose highest PER in his career is 13.3. And PJ hasn't had a PER above Crowder's of last year since the 2014/2015 season.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of Crowder's value doesn't show up in PER, same with someone like PJ Tucker whose highest PER in his career is 13.3. And PJ hasn't had a PER above Crowder's of last year since the 2014/2015 season.

PER is overrated by some people. I don't place all that much value on it for players like PJ, Jae, or Lance who have different responsibilities that usually aren't reflected by stats.

I was still a little surprised that Jae's was so low considering he gets hot from 3 every so often and will have a huge game but I guess those games don't effect his overall PER very much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PER is overrated by some people. I don't place all that much value on it for players like PJ, Jae, or Lance who have different responsibilities that usually aren't reflected by stats.

I was still a little surprised that Jae's was so low considering he gets hot from 3 every so often and will have a huge game but I guess those games don't effect his overall PER very much.
Yeah unfortunately there is no magic metric that tells us everything we want to know about every player in every situation. PER is flawed but for our purposes it's usually fairly accurate in gauging a player's value. Obviously great team defenders get screwed, players that impact the game beyond the counting stats might get overlooked and players that log limited minutes against lesser opponents get overrated and so on.

As for Lance though, I've never been a fan of his and I wouldn't have thought that he'd fall into the Tucker/Crowder group? That might be my lack of awareness given that I've avoided watching him nor have I paid attention to anything he does beyond his antics. So what does he bring to the table beyond the simple numbers?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think PER is a completely useless stat. If you believe it is accurate than you should believe the key to winning is center play, which is obviously not true in today's NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for Lance though, I've never been a fan of his and I wouldn't have thought that he'd fall into the Tucker/Crowder group? That might be my lack of awareness given that I've avoided watching him nor have I paid attention to anything he does beyond his antics. So what does he bring to the table beyond the simple numbers?

He's a really good perimeter defender and team first player. I know he's been a bit of a bonehead in the past but he's grown out of a lot of that. He can do a bit of everything. I'd consider him a guard version of Crowder or Tucker in that he doesn't need the ball or touches to be effective. He can work with the ball but ultimately he works best in the flow of an offense or defense rather than being a centerpiece.

He'd be a good rotation player at this point but you wouldn't want to count on him. As a 4th guard though, he'd be a solid addition. At his peak he was probably a poor man's Marcus Smart. The gap between those two increased a lot last year with Stephenson struggling to get back into the league and Smart being DPOY.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's a really good perimeter defender and team first player. I know he's been a bit of a bonehead in the past but he's grown out of a lot of that. He can do a bit of everything. I'd consider him a guard version of Crowder or Tucker in that he doesn't need the ball or touches to be effective. He can work with the ball but ultimately he works best in the flow of an offense or defense rather than being a centerpiece.

He'd be a good rotation player at this point but you wouldn't want to count on him. As a 4th guard though, he'd be a solid addition. At his peak he was probably a poor man's Marcus Smart. The gap between those two increased a lot last year with Stephenson struggling to get back into the league and Smart being DPOY.
Excellent breakdown.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

interview with Cam Johnson. Said him and Mikal working on handles to be better scorers.
I think both have LOTS of upside. I am hoping that Mikal's progress tracks Kahwi's a bit. Kahwi's breakout year offensively was his fifth year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading that makes me want to run it back. Johnson and bridges seem driven to improve. That will make a big difference in us keeping it going

The Suns have a nice core of players. If only they could add another player that can create his own shot.

Perhaps improvement can come from within as well.

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm hoping the Suns get an extension done with Cam Johnson this off season.
If we give him a four-year extension, we can’t then trade him. So we have to wait and see how the KD situation works out before we extend him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we give him a four-year extension, we can’t then trade him. So we have to wait and see how the KD situation works out before we extend him.

If it wasn't for the Durant matter, I think Cam Johnson would already be extended.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he used to be a feisty defender but those days appear to be behind him, I'm not sure what happened but he seems to have lost a step or 12. His defensive splits the last few years are really ugly.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if this has any other meaning.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah I think it does.

He knows we were shopping him, and has decided he now wants to go somewhere else is my interpretation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think it does.

He knows we were shopping him, and has decided he now wants to go somewhere else is my interpretation.

My first thought is something may be happening now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if this has any other meaning.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Borg

I came here to post this.

Apparently he took the suns logo off his Twitter to. Idk I don’t have Twitter so I don’t know what he had before.

Bossman99 was great for us in helping get us to that next level but if we want to win it all we will need an upgrade from him

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA