Suns Off-season Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also - classics with the Western font were still better than the 90's Barkley jerseys.
Agreed. Go back to those if anything. The Barkley ones are just very era specific, IMO and look kinda lame in the light of day 2022.

I like getting that purple back in to the franchise tho.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The return of the uniforms from the Barkley era is a step in the right direction. I like those purple uniforms.

Now we need that intro back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I posted this a few months ago. By far still my favorite Suns introduction.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Valley jerseys are gone? I’m as nostalgic as anyone, but I liked that this era was defined by the new Valley jerseys.

The Valley jerseys are gone. It has to do with the Nike Jersey contract. Apparently a City jersey is supposed to be for 1 season but teams can request for a second season and that's why the Valley jerseys stuck around that long. Their 2 years was up though. It's all about money.

I'm happy with these throwbacks though. I'm glad they went purple instead of black.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone care to speculate on something odd about the backup PG situation? As far as we can tell, the Suns don't seem to be trying very hard to find a new backup point guard in the first place. They're signing and/or keeping a bunch of guards and swingmen. Not only have they not acquired a PG, they let go of one (Holiday).

I suppose it's probably because there isn't a good backup point guard to be had cheaply. And that's all the Suns can afford to look for, because matching the Pacers' offer to DeAndre Ayton ate too much of their payroll. Any point guards better than Cameron Payne are probably too expensive, and the Suns probably won't look for an expensive one until Chris Paul retires.

Besides that, I have thought for a long time that the NBA is in a drought of notably good point guards recently.

This is where I really speculated. Because the entire Suns org has been highly uncommunicative for a long time, it's always more likely that the Suns know something we don't. Could it be that Payne was secretly (that is, only the team knew) injured last season and that was why he stunk? Why not--Bridges was playing hurt for a while, and it wasn't widely known.

Payne is the backup PG. They haven't sought out a 3rd string PG because that's a tough spot to fill with a veteran because veterans want playing time. Whoever signs isn't likely to see a lot of time. So to get someone we'd have to overpay and no one has been worth it that's been available and interested.

The Suns picked up Holiday last season for cash in a trade. There's a chance they could something similar this season. It's been done before and can be done again. The problem though is Holiday wasn't a real PG so they moved on.

I imagine they have feelers out there to see if someone becomes available but there aren't any quality options available now worth spending money on outside of Denis Schroeder and he will likely cost all the available funds the Suns have, the Midlevel Exception, and he's been a bit of a cancer everywhere else he's played. So he's not a great fit and big gamble. Plus we still have Cam Payne, who is better than Schroeder as a PG when he's clicking. He did play well last year but he fell off after he returned from injuries in February. Hopefully he returns to form and it isn't much of an issue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns have 14 players on their roster so I suspect they with keep 15th slot open unless a good option comes along.
They probably feel Payne and Shamet can handle ball handling duties off the bench for now.

Where I have looked for activity is on two-way contracts and players signed for training camp. I do expect the Suns to add a ball handler on a two-way contract at some point.

There is also the possibility if the Suns do a trade, they obtain a ball handler that way.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Plus we still have Cam Payne, who is better than Schroeder as a PG when he's clicking. He did play well last year but he fell off after he returned from injuries in February. Hopefully he returns to form and it isn't much of an issue.
Man, relying on Cam Payne to be our facilitator when Book/CP is off the court is a terrifying proposition at this point. It appears the book is out on Cam P, and he'll need to counter how D's are approaching him.

Maybe a guy like Saric will help facilitate?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, relying on Cam Payne to be our facilitator when Book/CP is off the court is a terrifying proposition at this point. It appears the book is out on Cam P, and he'll need to counter how D's are approaching him.

I was thinking of adding Saric to my post because he and Cam Payne ran a formidable second unit tandem last year but decided to keep it simple.

I'm not as down on Cam Payne as others are and think he'll be an adequate backup PG. Playing with Saric though gives me hope he'll bounce back and be one of the best backup PG's in the league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding Saric to my post because he and Cam Payne ran a formidable second unit tandem last year but decided to keep it simple.

I'm not as down on Cam Payne as others are and think he'll be an adequate backup PG. Playing with Saric though gives me hope he'll bounce back and be one of the best backup PG's in the league.
That's where I am, because, at this point, how can you not?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
he'll bounce back and be one of the best backup PG's in the league.
I don't think there is any doubt that a 3rd facilitator is their biggest need by far, as exposed by the Mavs. If something can't be worked out for KD, I'd like to see them try and move some pieces/picks for a legit option for creation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he had not been consistently bad since mid-march I would have more hope for Payne. He was just awful all season long 3 point shooting as well. I think teams dared him to shoot from the outside. When he wouldn't shoot from out there, he was just playing out of control bricking layups and turning it over. We need a different backup PG IMO. Saric should give us some production off the bench. Defense is going to be a bigger issue this year with this roster.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think teams dared him to shoot from the outside. When he wouldn't shoot from out there, he was just playing out of control bricking layups and turning it over.
I hope you're wrong, but afraid you're right. I remember time after time in the playoffs where he'd go for some wild bank and miss badly, creating a break. (As often with his turnovers as well) He was basically unplayable or a big negative most of the playoffs.

I'm hoping he figures the counter to how teams are playing him now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he had not been consistently bad since mid-march I would have more hope for Payne. He was just awful all season long 3 point shooting as well. I think teams dared him to shoot from the outside. When he wouldn't shoot from out there, he was just playing out of control bricking layups and turning it over. We need a different backup PG IMO. Saric should give us some production off the bench. Defense is going to be a bigger issue this year with this roster.

The Suns have to have another option at backup point guard beyond Cam Payne. His decline in shooting was particularly noticeable.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
The return of the uniforms from the Barkley era is a step in the right direction. I like those purple uniforms.

Now we need that intro back.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
OMG. that video just gave me chills.... i miss being 22 years old.....

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

Having Saric avail to hit jumpers vs Mcgee was what opened the lane for Cam. I just wish DA had McGees motor

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He’s kinda a knucklehead, but what about lance stephenson? Some shot creation and toughness.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s kinda a knucklehead, but what about lance stephenson? Some shot creation and toughness.
:bhiich:

If Paul and Booker sign off, I don't see the downside. I like it, actually. I've always thought he was a solid player. He'd help with ball movement in the second unit and is a solid defender as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave