The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If teams not on his wish list are willing to trade for him then there will be other offers. Training camp is still two months away.

Maybe. It's hard to know the thinking of other GMs. However, I believe at a certain point the Nets risk other teams moving on.

Now if the Nets want to wait until the NBA trade deadline, that's when they should get their best offer.

However, they risk Durant sitting out training camp or getting injured. I don't think they will have issues like those with Ben Simmons.

It could be the Nets want to keep Durant and are hoping teams move a different direction.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's nuts and the Warriors have to be fuming. He's had a great career and he's still good but he literally had to benched in the finals you can't demand a max deal now. He's relying on Steph standing up for him and saying I don't want to lose Draymond. I don't want to either but a max deal now makes no sense at all.

They have 4 guys who want extensions, Wiggins, Poole, Klay and Draymond. Arguably I listed them in the order of importance. I love Klay but coming off 2 major injuries at his age maybe he is better next year than last year but more likely he has to be sat regularly for maintenance and they try to get him to the postseason healthy and then play him more.

If they lose Wiggins or Poole to keep dray it's a huge mistake IMO
I love it. Dray gonna Dray. He broke up the Durant team. Now he's gonna finish off the dynasty. Haha don't let them disrespect you Dray!!!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's weird how so much of this board thinks that the Nets should trade Durant to the Suns for peanuts, just because that's what Suns fans are fantasizing about.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's weird how so much of this board thinks that the Nets should trade Durant to the Suns for peanuts, just because that's what Suns fans are fantasizing about.
For me it’s not a matter of thinking the Nets should get peanuts. It’s a matter of the Suns being stupid about a player that doesn’t want to be there and allegedly wants to be here. It would be dumb to bid against yourself and gut your team. IMO, the Suns trading 4 1st rounders, a Swap and possibly a couple players is hardly peanuts for a 34 year old aging superstar that played in 38% of his games the last 3 years. We are not trading for a 24 year old KD.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it’s not a matter of thinking the Nets should get peanuts. It’s a matter of the Suns being stupid about a player that doesn’t want to be there and allegedly wants to be here. It would be dumb to bid against yourself and gut your team. IMO, the Suns trading 4 1st rounders, a Swap and possibly a couple players is hardly peanuts for a 34 year old aging superstar that played in 38% of his games the last 3 years. We are not trading for a 24 year old KD.
You're right but the real problem is they gave him the 4 year contract you'd expect to see for a superstar in his prime, not for a 34 year old with injury concerns. Normally you'd want your acquisition to be locked up for 4 more years but in this case, I think it seriously takes away from his trade value.

I think there'd be better offers if he was on the books for 99M over 2 years. But the Nets want to be compensated for him as if he really does have 4 MVP type seasons ahead of him and while that's possible, it's extremely unlikely IMO.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will be traded soon...Nets are gonna piss him off trying to milk somebody for everything they got. Nets need to watch it or no player with any star power will sign there again

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
No way I give him a max contract if I am Golden State. He is still good but he isn't getting younger. No freaking way. You have to let him walk. They can't afford to pay him Max when they are way way way over the luxury tax threshold.
I hate the guy, but would take him over Crowder (the Ainge affect) can help with the creation when CP is off the floor

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Its amazing how every LA Laker trade is for pretty much stars for peanuts.... it can be done. Players talk, yes KD signed a 4 year deal. Also the Nets cratered as an org. A lot of speculation for the cost of a KD trade has come from media talking heads who have a bias for or against the Suns in general. IN all these multi team trades its the Suns that seem to be getting robbed. FACT if KD wants to go to the Suns then that is justification for a discount. Other clubs are dropping out stating they dont want to trade their assets, probably saving face to the players on their teams upset about being incl in trades. Maybe KD is letting it be known thru channels that his only desire is to go to Phx so others are moving on? If Nets rep among players ends up being your stuck when things go bad then that hurts future FA signings.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you’d see similar from almost all boards of all teams.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Equally weird how Nets fans think we should gut our team for Durant and insist on Booker as well.

Yeah, fans always want the best deals for their favorite teams.

The rumors some in the media put out doesn't help either.

I do listen when those who have an established track record report things like Shams Charania and Adrian Wojnarowski.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look at some of the returns people here expected for Ayton from a sign and trade. I can't fault Nets fans for asking for a kings ransom. They actually have more leverage than the Suns did with Ayton and KD is a much better player. I don't give a damn that he requested a trade. He won't be dealt for pennies.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's weird that someone would characterize that a meaningful amount of people believe that KD will go for a pittance. I don't think I've seen that suggested much at all.

As others have mentioned, a Bridges/Cam J, 4 1st round picks trade isn't peanuts by any standard. If you have a bunch of people asking for KD for Crowder/Saric/Shamet and a first, yes, that's peanuts, but nobody is suggesting that.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
It's weird that someone would characterize that a meaningful amount of people believe that KD will go for a pittance. I don't think I've seen that suggested much at all.

As others have mentioned, a Bridges/Cam J, 4 1st round picks trade isn't peanuts by any standard. If you have a bunch of people asking for KD for Crowder/Saric/Shamet and a first, yes, that's peanuts, but nobody is suggesting that.
This shows how much the one and done has destroyed college basketball and the NBA draft. There was a time when a 1st rd pick had value, now if it s not top 3-4 having one is nothing but a crap shoot. I guess i am cool with giving away any amount of 1st rd picks as long as they are top 5 protected

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like he has any inside information but he seems to be acknowledging what everybody else is hearing. Nobody is close to what the Nets want. Not even the Celtics offering Jaylen is enough for the Nets. He is basically saying because of that, everybody is out of the Sweepstakes and only Boston has enough to entice the Nets. Which I agree with. We can't match that. Without James Jones working out a multi-team deal? The Suns are out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like he has any inside information but he seems to be acknowledging what everybody else is hearing. Nobody is close to what the Nets want. Not even the Celtics offering Jaylen is enough for the Nets. He is basically saying because of that, everybody is out of the Sweepstakes and only Boston has enough to entice the Nets. Which I agree with. We can't match that. Without James Jones working out a multi-team deal? The Suns are out.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's looking like unless the Celtics cave to the Nets trade demands, this stretches out until the trade deadline if anything happens at all.

I'd like to see the Nets end up with egg on their face.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking like unless the Celtics cave to the Nets trade demands, this stretches out until the trade deadline if anything happens at all.

I'd like to see the Nets end up with egg on their face.
I don't think he will do it but I would love KD to say he is sitting out, even if he ultimately plays. It would be fun to see the Nets squirm and go into panic mode.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he will do it but I would love KD to say he is sitting out, even if he ultimately plays. It would be fun to see the Nets squirm and go into panic mode.

The Nets need a bunch of unhappy campers in Irving, Simmons and Durant. Then watch them sell for pennies on the dollar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems like almost everyone in the national media has the Suns as a long shot to trade for Durant.

The perception is once the Suns signed Ayton, they don't have the necessary assets to get it done.