Film study

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If nothing else the fact this clause is getting publicity everywhere, and he is getting huge criticism should embaress him into working harder.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the Addendum to the contract for those interested:

You must be registered for see images attach

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Unless I'm misreading all this, the team has placed themselves in a very advantageous situation with this contract. The first two years, Murray's contract is at very reasonable numbers and doesn't escalate to huge numbers until 2024. If they decide Murray isn't going to be the guy based on his performances over the next two seasons and he somehow fails to meet the clause of 4 hours per week the team can cut bait with him and not owe him a sizable amount of the bonus money. They can basically walk away from the contract without big hits on the cap.

Does anyone else see it this way or am I missing something?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
he is arrogant, saying he has natural ability to see everything around him, doesn’t need film study. He does have some of that there natural ability, but did not have a clue what was going on around him in his only playoff game.

couldn’t find his az with both hands.
if JJ Watt doesn’t confront him as a player who can? KK as HC ain’t about to do it. I try too as a fan, but get beat about the head and shoulders.

it is in his job description as well as every other QB, and our fan dollars are paying him 1/4 billion! as hop goes down and now out - our team stops? Is that really a legitimate argument? By KK And KM?

my film study still says we need to run more often, cause Rams got these dudes figured out

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just another example of how clueless the Bidwills have been from day one of them owning this franchise. Sadly, even with a star QB on your roster, ownership will find a way to screw things up.
The player, an alleged generational talent, and his agent have basically been tea-bagging the organization since the season ended creating drama and attempting to make the team look bad. If anything - Kyler and his team deserve any bit of criticism that comes with this contract and the film study clause.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Could also be because Larry was washed up. He was 37. Maybe that’s just me.
I was with you right up to here. Larry retired because he was utterly washed. He probably watched film of himself and realized that he couldn't do it anymore.
Was he worth $10M, no but he was 2nd on the team in receptions in 2020. Obviously Hopkins was the primary weapon and Larry seemed to be used more as a blocker and on bubble routes thus lack of yards and TD's.

IIRC, there were rumblings that Larry tried to take Kyler under his wing but Kyler wanted none of it which plays to claims of his arrogance.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It literally can't be "enforced by coaching". The CBA limits how much time the team can require players to be at the facility, and would prohibit a coach from going to Murray's house to watch over him while he studies.

Extra study can be encouraged, promoted, cajoled, etc. by coaches, but it can't be enforced by coaches.

...dbs

Well that's what I mean. I don't mean literally stand over him.

The usual way to manage this would be a warning, then if happens again you give them punishment workouts, then you drop them a game.

That method is far more workable than what they are doing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The player, an alleged generational talent, and his agent have basically been tea-bagging the organization since the season ended creating drama and attempting to make the team look bad. If anything - Kyler and his team deserve any bit of criticism that comes with this contract and the film study clause.
Please. Players/Agents have done the same for decades. But, well run organizations sign their stars & move on without trying to embarrass both the player & said organization. When you hear from the other great players on this team that NO ONE on the team works harder than Murray, it just goes to show you how vindictive the Bidwill family is when they’re either criticized or forced to open their vaults.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ouchie, if he hasn’t woke up by now he never will.
I don’t believe that. He’s still a young man. I was a deer in the headlights for like the first 6 years of my career. I was functional, but not optimal. It took a new mentor and a client scare to make me look inward and figure out the change I needed to reach higher success. And I was already considered fairly successful prior to my wake up call.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I don’t believe that. He’s still a young man.
i think this too

we have a real, live experience here as well:

Fitz was a very good WR who in his first three seasons produced good but not great stats -- until Todd Haley challenged him in 2007

he responded with 5 seasons in a row where he averaged 1,200 yards (three of them 1,400 yd seasons with 10+ tds)

one other parallel: Fitz was also a loner who early on didn't do the typical leader things. That changed over time as well.

obvs: Fitz responded to the challenge. We will see if Kyler does

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t believe that. He’s still a young man. I was a deer in the headlights for like the first 6 years of my career. I was functional, but not optimal. It took a new mentor and a client scare to make me look inward and figure out the change I needed to reach higher success. And I was already considered fairly successful prior to my wake up call.
The key to what you said is it took a new outside influence (i.e. mentor) and various other things to trigger a change. Kyler is not going to get that with Coach Bro. Unless there is greater accountability put on him, he will never reach his full potential with this coaching staff.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please. Players/Agents have done the same for decades. But, well run organizations sign their stars & move on without trying to embarrass both the player & said organization. When you hear from the other great players on this team that NO ONE on the team works harder than Murray, it just goes to show you how vindictive the Bidwill family is when they’re either criticized or forced to open their vaults.
No need to blame ownership (and they have been indefensible many times in the past).

No need to hear from other great players when we're talking about film study.

Murray is the one who brought this all on himself. Period.

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said, via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall when an NYT reporter called Murray out on the lack of film study and I quoted the article on the board. There was a small uproar. A few even challenged the veracity of the reporter. Well it’s quite clear now that the Cards believe there is an issue with Murray’s game preparation. Success in the NFL often comes from exploiting the opponent’s tendencies. Game film also provide a great opportunity to analyze one’s own behavior and offers a valuable chance to improve. Murray can either take this as a personal affront or realize this is simply an attempt to get him to focus on an opportunity to step forward. Hopefully he chooses to view it as the latter.
The real gurus of this sport can see the potential, but they also see his misreads, throwing to the wrong receiver etc. All the average fan sees( especially outside Arizona ) are the highlight plays.
Murray has a long way to go to earn this contract. His mistakes now are going to magnified on TV and especially on social media.
This site is going to explode sometime this year.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to blame ownership (and they have been indefensible many times in the past).

No need to hear from other great players when we're talking about film study.

Murray is the one who brought this all on himself. Period.

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens,” Murray said, via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports. “I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”
So sad. Especially considering film study may expose a flaw in your opponents that could be the difference in a win or a loss. This ain’t college.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perception is reality on some level. This is the NFL. He’s been surrounded by grown men these last three years. He seems to have an ego and attitude that all he has to do is show up and he’s the best player on the field. He has to become a superstar now. Mediocrity will make this signing a complete failure. He better grow up real fast.
As you stated it took you 6 years and you probably never got highly rewarded until you did. Not the case here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Perception is reality on some level. This is the NFL. He’s been surrounded by grown men these last three years. He seems to have an ego and attitude that all he has to do is show up and he’s the best player on the field. He has to become a superstar now. Mediocrity will make this signing a complete failure. He better grow up real fast.
As you stated it took you 6 years and you probably never got highly rewarded until you did. Not the case here.
He hasn't been Mitchell Trubisky the past three years. He's been one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. This year he was surpassed (in many people's estimation) by Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert.

I think the challenge is whether he's going to be More Exciting Kirk Cousins or someone who fundamentally redefines what's possible on the football field. I think that's the range of reality we're looking at with him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK said on an interview the Cards don't track film watching time. So, this clause was not only a cluster but serves no purpose.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KK said on an interview the Cards don't track film watching time. So, this clause was not only a cluster but serves no purpose.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I was just going to say the same. He said yesterday he has never tracked anyone's film time.
What they have done in the past and what they choose to do or are possibly told to do from above moving forward aren’t the same thing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson