Kyler Murray Contract Extended

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Thing is I dont think the injury impacted him at all last year. He was running better post injury than before. He just didnt play as well.
No D-Hop, running game shut down, D fell apart. All played a role, I suppose.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. But you need the ability to do both. :)

Kyler had 1 come from behind win last season and should have had 2 if AJ Green pulls his head out and looks for the ball. Why so few comebacks last season? Because they were destroying everyone and were protecting a lead.

You can say the same thing about Mahomes. He averages 2 come from behind wins a year. Why so few??? Because they rarely are behind in the 4th quarter.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he can definitely be better than the 8-12th best QB. We've definitely not seen peak Murray, and if he can play in the 2nd half like he does in the first, you're looking at a top 5 QB.

Why the 2nd half collapses? Some blame can be attributed to getting nicked up, but this national writer isn't afraid to point the finger at Kliff. The whole article is well worth a read, but certain blurbs are tough to read:

Murray carries some blame for this decline—but the greater share belongs to his head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who has been enduring late-season slides for far longer than Murray has. Going back to his time at Texas Tech, Kingsbury fights a yearly battle to find the necessary buttons to push, both schematic and motivational, to stay ahead of the adjusting opponents his teams are facing. He always loses.

ouch.

He's not getting much help from his GM either:

despite the lack of success to this point, Murray is clearly good enough to win a playoff game as the centerpiece of a functional team. It’s the functional team that is missing.

Since drafting Murray with the first overall pick in the 2019 draft, the Cardinals have drafted consecutive first-round linebackers: Isaiah Simmons and Zaven Collins. Both have struggled finding playing time, and both have struggled on the field when playing. To justify the selections, veteran linebackers like De’Vondre Campbell and Jordan Hicks were ousted in free agency. Campbell immediately enjoyed success in Green Bay the year after his departure.

Campbell isn’t alone. Arizona’s 2017 first-round pick, Haason Reddick, a hybrid player who bounced from inside linebacker to outside pass rusher during his time with the Cardinals, was not extended following a 12.5-sack 2020 season, and was also immediately successful at his next stop, in Carolina. To bolster their pass rush last offseason, the Cardinals signed J.J. Watt, whose contract was so large they didn’t feel compelled this offseason to retain star pass rusher Chandler Jones, who is now in Las Vegas.

Simmons, Collins, and Watt for the price of Campbell, Hicks, Reddick and Jones is just bad business.

And the icing on the cake...

On their cap sheet and their offseason transaction list, the Cardinals are acting like a team that barely lost the Super Bowl, looking to run it back with a final push over the finish line. They extended the head coach that bears some responsibility for the late-season declines, whose offensive systems increasingly demanded draft capital and cap space spent on another new pass catcher. They extended the general manager who has overseen every misstep in roster management, enabling the blind aggression of his head coach in building out an overloaded offensive depth chart. And now, they have extended the quarterback who has yet to prove that he gives them an equal chance to win it all as the many other mammoth-contract quarterbacks do.

But they did not just lose the Super Bowl. They’re still a few rounds of playoff football away from the Super Bowl, stuck in a division with the reigning NFL champion and the NFC runner-up, and about to lose the huge competitive advantage afforded by their rookie contract quarterback. Nothing about the Cardinals screams “contender” other than the price tag of their signal caller and the extensions offered to their head coach and general manager. You can act like a contending team all you like. It doesn’t make you one.
Harsh, but probably pretty accurate.

Keim and Kingsbury are just not very good at their jobs in my estimation.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harsh, but probably pretty accurate.

Keim and Kingsbury are just not very good at their jobs in my estimation.
This year will tell us a lot.

They finish strong this year. Then it can be easily argued Kyler got hurt in 2020 and Hopkins got hurt in 2021. There really was no real blame or should have been no blame for Kliff. Key players got hurt.

For Keim it will be he finally provided some depth for Kliff.

We'll see how it plays out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he can definitely be better than the 8-12th best QB. We've definitely not seen peak Murray, and if he can play in the 2nd half like he does in the first, you're looking at a top 5 QB.

Why the 2nd half collapses? Some blame can be attributed to getting nicked up, but this national writer isn't afraid to point the finger at Kliff. The whole article is well worth a read, but certain blurbs are tough to read:

Murray carries some blame for this decline—but the greater share belongs to his head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who has been enduring late-season slides for far longer than Murray has. Going back to his time at Texas Tech, Kingsbury fights a yearly battle to find the necessary buttons to push, both schematic and motivational, to stay ahead of the adjusting opponents his teams are facing. He always loses.

ouch.

He's not getting much help from his GM either:

despite the lack of success to this point, Murray is clearly good enough to win a playoff game as the centerpiece of a functional team. It’s the functional team that is missing.

Since drafting Murray with the first overall pick in the 2019 draft, the Cardinals have drafted consecutive first-round linebackers: Isaiah Simmons and Zaven Collins. Both have struggled finding playing time, and both have struggled on the field when playing. To justify the selections, veteran linebackers like De’Vondre Campbell and Jordan Hicks were ousted in free agency. Campbell immediately enjoyed success in Green Bay the year after his departure.

Campbell isn’t alone. Arizona’s 2017 first-round pick, Haason Reddick, a hybrid player who bounced from inside linebacker to outside pass rusher during his time with the Cardinals, was not extended following a 12.5-sack 2020 season, and was also immediately successful at his next stop, in Carolina. To bolster their pass rush last offseason, the Cardinals signed J.J. Watt, whose contract was so large they didn’t feel compelled this offseason to retain star pass rusher Chandler Jones, who is now in Las Vegas.

Simmons, Collins, and Watt for the price of Campbell, Hicks, Reddick and Jones is just bad business.

And the icing on the cake...

On their cap sheet and their offseason transaction list, the Cardinals are acting like a team that barely lost the Super Bowl, looking to run it back with a final push over the finish line. They extended the head coach that bears some responsibility for the late-season declines, whose offensive systems increasingly demanded draft capital and cap space spent on another new pass catcher. They extended the general manager who has overseen every misstep in roster management, enabling the blind aggression of his head coach in building out an overloaded offensive depth chart. And now, they have extended the quarterback who has yet to prove that he gives them an equal chance to win it all as the many other mammoth-contract quarterbacks do.

But they did not just lose the Super Bowl. They’re still a few rounds of playoff football away from the Super Bowl, stuck in a division with the reigning NFL champion and the NFC runner-up, and about to lose the huge competitive advantage afforded by their rookie contract quarterback. Nothing about the Cardinals screams “contender” other than the price tag of their signal caller and the extensions offered to their head coach and general manager. You can act like a contending team all you like. It doesn’t make you one.

Kingsbury doesn't pick the players; Keim does. They're pretty transparent on that.

I'm not convinced that the Texas Tech track record is super-relevant here. It's not like Kyler has a long record of post-season success without Kliff, either.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he’s playing well and winning games and getting us to the playoffs it will be a good “value” If he’s the kyler murray of the last six weeks last year it will be a complete waste of money.
If the top 5 QB’s in the NFL had to play with what was left of the Cardinals in the last 5 games, they would have fared no better & probably worse. If I were Murray, I would have forced my way out of AZ. Kingsbury is not the answer & this franchise has no idea on how to build around and protect a franchise QB. Add that we’ve had like 5 good defenses in the 60 years I’ve followed this team, and I laugh when people put blame on Murray for how this team performs.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the top 5 QB’s in the NFL had to play with what was left of the Cardinals in the last 5 games, they would have fared no better & probably worse. If I were Murray, I would have forced my way out of AZ. Kingsbury is not the answer & this franchise has no idea on how to build around and protect a franchise QB. Add that we’ve had like 5 good defenses in the 60 years I’ve followed this team, and I laugh when people put blame on Murray for how this team performs.
People who put no blame on Murray are literally just as laughable if not more. It’s far and away the most important position on the field as it relates to winning.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People who put no blame on Murray are literally just as laughable if not more. It’s far and away the most important position on the field as it relates to winning.
I don’t put “no“ blame on Murray. That’s impossible. But Murray was the least of our problems down the stretch last year.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Honestly, I was not happy with the money he wanted, and got. I agreed with Stout and Shane and others, that he had not earned it due to his late season collapses. But every time I watch highlights of this kid, we’ll, he is amazing. We had to do this.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I was not happy with the money he wanted, and got. I agreed with Stout and Shane and others, that he had not earned it due to his late season collapses. But every time I watch highlights of this kid, we’ll, he is amazing. We had to do this.
He’s got the highest upside of any player that’s ever put a uniform on for ANY Arizona sports franchise. The possibility of our one and only sports Unicorn. And we’ve seen flashes of that… for extended stretches of seasons in his first three years.

It’s a risk you have to take.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cardinals are a small market team and they did what they had to do. Sure it's a risk. but it's a risk worth taking. As far as what the rest of the country and media thinks, I do not give a rat's arse. Even when we are winning, they never actually watch the games and they would rather talk about the Cowboys in their crappy division which has accomplished less than the Cardinals for a few decades which says a lot lol