Kyler Murray Contract Extended

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Hummm… I’d like to see the terms of this contract. Is it paid out $46.1 million per year or does it start low and builds over time? When does the guaranteed money run out. (As soon as guaranteed $$ runs out, I’ll bet Kyler is asking for new contract.) But, man, I wouldn’t have offered up this contract at this point in Cardinal’s history. I just don’t see Kyler as the second highest paid QB in the NFL. Two reasons: 1) Too many other needs on the team to empty the bank on 1 player, 2) Kyler hasn’t shown on the field that he’s a great QB, worthy of this contract. He’s good, but not great.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the base line pre-extension for K1s cap hit was:

$11mm hit for 2022
$30mm for 2023
a franchise tag of ~$50mm or so for 2024

lets see what the after looks like cap hit wise when the NFLPA releases the actual contract

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does this compare to the original Murray agent proposal?

I'm thinking the same thing as Chris Sanders said for months if they'd given him the deal then it would have been cheaper. But then likely would have wanted more sooner since that's how agents and players roll

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's so funny, thinking about all the hand wringing by people on here and national media, over whether the Cards would extend Murray, would Murray demand a trade...hahaha

All the while, for months, everyone from the owner, GM, coach, etc all said they wanted him here...that these extensions typically happen before training camp in July, yet almost nobody listened...haha

Could the contract have looked different $$wise earlier??? Maybe. We've never actually seen the numbers, only what the AGENT made public. Maybe at that time the $$ was less, but terms were worse???? We'll most likely never really know the entire truth.

I wish I had bought stock in Maalox back in February...hahaha At least everyone can sleep peacefully now, until the next PFF rankings come out.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Thank God the season is about to start and there will be something else to talk about.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the same thing as Chris Sanders said for months if they'd given him the deal then it would have been cheaper. But then likely would have wanted more sooner since that's how agents and players roll
Yes, I said, even right after the playoff loss, that was the time to extend. There was never a doubt it would happen, so waiting certainly would mean paying more.

But, it's not my money and I don't cheer for salary cap management.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Russ if he plays well enough to “live up” to this contract he will want more sooner regardless and we all know it. Waiting 4 months didn’t change that. No way no how. He will be clamoring for more with 2 years left and possibly 3.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose