The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Suns probably saved $40 million on a 4 year contract versus a 5 year contract but it will probably look like a bad decision if Ayton plays well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t think they will put a warm and fuzzy statement out there? It was obvious to every team in the league he was shopped. The Suns will never admit it.

I want that warm and fuzzy statement by the Suns once it becomes official.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would’ve signed a player option for the third and fourth seasons.
I'm not sure but I think you can only do one player option and/or one team option, except with a rookie contract where the team can do it from year 2 on.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want that warm and fuzzy statement by the Suns once it becomes official.
It would mean nothing if it was a PR statement. To me the NBA is a business at the end of the day. If this was transactional and best for the Suns?

I don’t care.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the Suns probably saved $40 million on a 4 year contract versus a 5 year contract but it will probably look like a bad decision if Ayton plays well.
Does that include the difference between 5% raises and the 8% we'd have had to give him on a 5 year deal?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would mean nothing if it was a PR statement. To me the NBA is it’s a business at the end of the day. If this was transactional and best for the Suns?

I don’t care.

James Jones already made a statement how important Ayton is to the franchise although the comment is not at my fingertips.

It never hurts to pay a compliment to somebody and say they are wanted. I want to hear it to help healing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think matching an offer sheet means exactly that but I don't know for sure in regard to yearly raises.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones already made a statement how important Ayton is to the franchise although the comment is not at my fingertips.

It never hurts to pay a compliment to somebody and say they are wanted. I want to hear it to help healing.
He did. But he made it clear in statement this isn’t about Ayton getting paid. This was also about if he gets a 4 year deal or not. So, the Suns perceived value was obviously a factor. Add that with all the teams in trade talks around Ayton and it’s obvious the Suns had a line.

So any PR statement isn’t going to change that. It won’t do much healing either. That statement is more for the fans than Ayton and his camp. His agent is well aware what has been going on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did. But he made it clear in statement this isn’t about Ayton getting paid. This was also about if he gets a 4 year deal or not. So, the Suns perceived value was obviously a factor. Add that with all the teams in trade talks around Ayton and it’s obvious the Suns had a line.

So any PR statement isn’t going to change that. It won’t do much healing either. That statement is more for the fans than Ayton and his camp. His agent is well aware what has been going on.

I'm hoping James Jones, Monty and Suns players warmly welcome Ayton back. I think they will.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping James Jones, Monty and Suns players warmly welcome Ayton back. I think they will.
Don’t they have to? I mean at this point. He is your guy. You better make it work. Unhappy players can cause havoc in the locker room and tear teams apart.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t they have to? I mean at this point. He is your guy. You better make it work. Unhappy players can cause havoc in the locker room and tear teams apart.

I think the Suns will and mean it. Some momentary unhappiness in one game is just that. It happens.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
its a negotiated settlement, Ayton is getting 133mil, I'm sure he is happy and the suns saved a few bucks so they should be happy.

Done, time to move on and see if you can find a way to bring in KD.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will and mean it. Some momentary unhappiness in one game is just that. It happens.
The Suns have to embrace him now. Not sure that means “they mean it”. It’s business. The one thing I have not heard much of? Maybe this wasn’t about ANYTHING other than Money for Ayton. Maybe Ayton doesn’t care what team he plays for as long as he is paid. By definition he is happy now no matter what the Suns think.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, he's said it on several occasions. And if nothing else, it's probably something DA needs to hear, in person and also knowing it went out publicly.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
-
They tried to get multiple picks. Six wouldn’t probably been enough for Brooklyn.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
-
They tried to get multiple picks. Six wouldn’t probably been enough for Brooklyn.
Like I said…..where there is smoke there is fire. There was a price to be had for Ayton.

It’s over now. Indiana is out of the picture for at least a year.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said…..where there is smoke there is fire. There was a price to be had for Ayton.

It’s over now. Indiana is out of the picture for at least a year.
I thought they couldn't acquire him for the duration of the contract. Is it only one year?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-

If true, the Pacers only wanted Ayton if it cost cash. They didn't want to put assets on the line. They read too much into the TJ Warren and Jalen Smith trades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose