The Ayton Plan

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Indiana wasn't interested in a sign-and-trade per report.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The Suns must match.

No remotely decent organization would let an asset the caliber of Ayton walk for nothing if they don't have to.

If the Suns don't match, I will seriously have to reevaluate my fandom.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns and Pacers couldn't agree on the terms of a sign-and-trade.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gambo is wacked if he thinks the Suns might let Ayton walk

i've got an "i told you so" queued up for release in 8 hours when it looks inevitable that the Suns will match, Ayton will stay, and Durant speculations will lose their steam

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a joke. It's 2 points more than he averages with them. Those 2 points make him a star somehow despite still falling under 20 a game though.
It's not a joke.

What makes him a star is his efficency.

It's just hard getting him the ball where he needs it to be effective. Thing is I am pretty damn sure it is going to get easier as he expands his game.

Reaction score
You would be where I was seven years ago, just for a different reason. Basically, you'd leave fandom because of FO incompetence, whereas I left because I believed the FO had repeatedly been jerks to good people.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the idea is to make the tax fee so high they think the Suns let him go for nothing huh?

How does the tax work - if we trade him at midseason would we only have to pay half the luxury tax for his contract? It does suck because Indiana is still likely to be the only option to not have to take back big salary.

I guess I see the angle now. They are betting on the Suns being too cheap to pay big tax dollars. Hate to say that might work.

The tax is decided the final day of the league year. So they could move him at the deadline to lower their tax bill. They'd have to get within 25% of $33 million in incoming salary so they could easily shed a few million if they traded Ayton for an expiring deal around $25-26 million.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Suns match Ayton has veto power on a trade for 1 year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You would be where I was seven years ago, just for a different reason. Basically, you'd leave fandom because of FO incompetence, whereas I left because I believed the FO had repeatedly been jerks to good people.
FYI, I stopped following the team for about 6 or 7 years because of Sarver, and how bad the team got, Only started again about 2.5 years ago because I saw things about to turn around.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these teams playing a game of chicken?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver said he’s willing to spend let’s see if he means it

Match and turn your attention to KD

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a sign-and-trade is to be done, at least we have a time limit on when it must happen.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm glad this is almost over. Tell the Pacers to cough up the Mathurian Candidate and multiple picks, or just match and sort things out later.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is when the Pacers would again be able to potentially trade for Ayton if the Suns match... July 15th, 2023.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns must match.

No remotely decent organization would let an asset the caliber of Ayton walk for nothing if they don't have to.

Yeah… I might have to start hate watching the Suns.
I'm glad this is almost over. Tell the Pacers to cough up the Mathurian Candidate and multiple picks, or just match and sort things out later.
same. And will gladly take a heaping plate of crow if we match and he’s a Sun again.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Hmmm

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Pacers really want Ayton, who blinks first. The Suns can match and they can't trade for him for a year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were James Jones, I'd say I would match and ask for everything he wants in a sign-and-trade. Make it hurt.