The Ayton Plan

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Ayton leave because the coach couldn't adapt to the talent and skills of a key player on the roster. This is likely why the Mavericks switched coaches. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on the roster.

This is one of the reasons Jalen Smith is no longer around.

It's easy to crap on Ayton and blame him for not developing, but if you look at the lack of commitment to Jalen Smith's development, it appears to be more systemic than isolated.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
It's easy to crap on Ayton and blame him for not developing, but if you look at the lack of commitment to Jalen Smith's development, it appears to be more systemic than isolated.
Yep. It’s likely both sides at fault in this scenario.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the Suns trade both Deandre Ayton and Jalen Smith one has to question the process and the system.

There is a cost for skipping steps.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the Suns trade both Deandre Ayton and Jalen Smith one has to question the process and the system.

There is a cost for skipping steps.

yeah, Ayton and Smith AND they let McGee go

i like Bismack -- on the bench most of the time. He was/is the most one dimensional, limited of our big men

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, Ayton and Smith AND they let McGee go

i like Bismack -- on the bench most of the time. He was/is the most one dimensional, limited of our big men

At least I can understand the Suns letting McGee go although I wanted to keep him. There is only so much money to go around.

Three years at $21 million is a good chunk of change for a backup center.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did everyone forget Monty was here a year before Paul was? What did Ayton do then? I know it was his second season but Trae Young and Luka were making All-Star teams in their second seasons while Ayton got a PED suspension.

He hasn't grown like some claim and he also hasn't really sacrificed either. His usage rate is very similar despite taking almost 3 less shots a game. His 2nd season that was the highest it's been at 23.7 and now it's 21.4. His minutes have gone down since the Suns brought in a good backup, Ayton went from averaging 32.5 mpg down to 29.7 last season.

His FG's have dropped some but that can be blamed on his lack of aggression. He averaged 14.9 in year 2 while averaging 12.0 last season. Despite dropping 3 FG attempts a game though his usage is essentially the same and his PPG is only down 1 whole point, from 18.2 to 17.2.

His free throw rate has been stagnate because he isn't aggressive. His lowest FT total was his second season, which is when he was used the most, averaging a paltry 2.3 attempts a game. Last season was 2.4 attempts. His highest was his rookie season where he averaged 2.7.

So he's gotten a little more efficient, which is nice, but he hasn't done anything to help increase his role as far as being able to put the ball on the floor for a shot or to draw a foul. He almost always passes or shoots within 2 seconds of getting the ball and I know the offensive philosophy is to move the ball but others try and create for themselves but Ayton doesn't unless he's spoonfed. That's on him.
Got somebody better in mind?
Trey and Luka were the only good players on those teams. Ayton had to share the ball with Booker and crew.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got somebody better in mind?
Trey and Luka were the only good players on those teams. Ayton had to share the ball with Booker and crew.

I'm fine with Ayton as he is if he would accept a contract for what he is, a good but not great Center. He isn't someone you can build a successful team around. He isn't worth max money. Luka and Trae earned their max rookie extensions after their second season. That's why I brought them up. There was never a question of their future contract.

I'm not advocating kicking him to the curb, I'm simply tired of everyone saying Monty won't use him because of CP3 and how Paul keeps him from doing more offensively. CP3 made DeAndre Jordan an All-Star. He helped Clinf Capela have a great year in Housfon. He also helped Blake Griffin have his best years because he can find athletic bits who can shoot as well as those like Capela and Jordan who are more paint oriented bigs on offense.

Ayton isn't sacrificing in the Suns system. If he goes somewhere and is the focal point of their offense then that team won't win a lot of games and I suspect he'll fall off defensively as well. His stamina isn't great. Spare me the "He's asked to guard people on the perimeter" nonsense also because a lot of bigs do that now. Show me some stats that prove Ayton spends the majority of his time on the perimeter and then maybe that will hold some weight. Monty coached up Anthony Davis in New Orleans. Both guys have good history with bigs like Ayton, athletically and physically.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Max

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Max

I was hoping it wouldn't happen this way.

I'd like to see how the money is to be paid along with options.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All while being 20 yeah who wants that kinda production. That guy sucks.
No one says he sucks.

You bring up Trae Young. Have you watched him? He’s far from some perfect player. Complain about Ayton being inconsistent but bring up Young who has ridiculous swings.

Trae young in the playoffs this year.
8/4
25/7
24/8
9/5
11/6

Still an all-star who has shown to carry his crappy team.

He’s a 7 footer who’s asked to switch on to guards on defense regularly

Do you think he’s gonna have the stamina of a 6’7 wing? He’s huge

Regularly?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one says he sucks.

Still an all-star who has shown to carry his crappy team.

Regularly?

That ATL team isn’t crappy at all they have a lot of talent and yes he’s asked to switch all the damn time how is this even a question

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Match the freaking offer than trade for kd plain and simple

Otherwise show jones the front door if da just walks fing bshiatttt man

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave