The Ayton Plan

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It is what it is I guess. Ayton's trade value has been a huge disappointment. I am still holding out hope for a 3 way trade but it doesn't appear likely at all. I guess Miles Turner and likely some throw in is Ayton's value. Disappointing but it looks like it's happening. He should be worth more than that. Now it appears for the Suns to shore up other spots it's either going to have to be part of a KD trade or the Suns have to move other pieces. I think they still need a backup PG.
We get the #1 pick in the draft for the only season in 50+ years. That draft has a generational player. We not only don’t identify the generational player, but we then end up with nickels on the dollar for that #1 pick. Really depressing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like a sign-and-trade is the most likely outcome. I hope it's a larger trade than Ayton for Turner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Pacers are gonna take two top 10 picks (Ayton & Stix) from us for Myles Turner and Torrey Craig

The Suns deserve to suck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The irony is the majority of posters would prefer keeping Ayton, so I’d say most posters do know what they have but have become realistic about what’s likely to happen.
And they could be right but I'm not so sure that's what "realistic" is. When Bledsoe was a restricted FA looking for a big contract we kept hearing about trades that were going to happen any day now and we were getting fleeced in everyone of them. Just like now. Maybe this time it's legit but until we really agree to bend over and take one for the Pacers I refuse to believe that a trade where Turner is the valued return is something our front office would even consider let alone act upon.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope the Pacers don’t end up being good with their front line being a major reason for their success. Watching what should have been our front-line of Ayton/Stix be successful will be really painful if we end up not winning a title with a KD trade and fall apart.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could see this. Unfortunately it seems like the early season could be a Rocky locker room if Ayton is still angry. And the longer that goes with a blockbuster deal getting done, the more the likelihood of consummation fades. How many rumored summer deals can you recall getting consummated months later? Admittedly I haven’t wracked my brain on that one, so maybe it’s not uncommon, just doesn’t seem all that likely.

I don’t remember many happening months later.

My feeling is if KD was going to be traded it would happened already. These things usually play out pretty fast

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pacers are gonna take two top 10 picks (Ayton & Stix) from us for Myles Turner and Torrey Craig

The Pacers are coming out of the 2020 NBA Draft looking good and they didn't even have a 1st round pick.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it is a direct sign and trade with the pacers, there better be several first rounders included.

Either that or Halliburton.

If it is Turner and trash, Suns should not do the deal. Better to match an offer sheet and trade him later.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember many happening months later.

My feeling is if KD was going to be traded it would happened already. These things usually play out pretty fast
I don't think there is a "usually" here. How often has a "superstar" demanded a trade with 4 years left on his contract?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think there is a "usually" here. How often has a "superstar" demanded a trade with 4 years left on his contract?
How often has that player been 34 and still a top 3 player whose only interest is winning a ring.

Never, but it should tell you how motivated KD will be to get his way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How often has that player been 34 and still a top 3 player whose only interest is winning a ring.

Never, but it should tell you how motivated KD will be to get his way.
Highly motivated, I'm sure. But what's his play? He can sit out, it's not like he needs the money. But without a fair return for Durant, the Nets might decide not having to pay Kevin is a better return than anybody is willing to offer. They are on the hook for 193M over the next 4 years for a 34 year old with a serious injury concern. The contract itself was a huge gamble so it's little wonder that there aren't Minnesotas out there offering Fort Knox for him.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Pacers are coming out of the 2020 NBA Draft looking good and they didn't even have a 1st round pick.

What’s makes this suck even more Ayton is 23 and Stix is 22 we’ve shown no interest in developing talent or looking towards the future.

The Pacers are plotting for the next decade. Ayton(23), Stix(22), Halliburton (22) and Mathurin(20)

That’s how you do a rebuild

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s makes this suck even more Ayton is 23 and Stix is 22 we’ve shown no interest in developing talent or looking towards the future.

The Pacers are plotting for the next decade. Ayton(23), Stix(22), Halliburton (22) and Mathurin(20)

As I mentioned before, if it comes down this way, the Pacers are on track to have one of the fast rebuilds I have seen.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Highly motivated, I'm sure. But what's his play? He can sit out, it's not like he needs the money. But without a fair return for Durant, the Nets might decide not having to pay Kevin is a better return than anybody is willing to offer. They are on the hook for 193M over the next 4 years for a 34 year old with a serious injury concern. The contract itself was a huge gamble so it's little wonder that there aren't Minnesotas out there offering Fort Knox for him.
Honestly the best play for Durant is to report and completely not try.

Like literally not run back on D and completely go through the motions. He will be benched but they will still have to pay him.

At that point the only thing that makes sense is to trade him.

You may say that would be dispicable, and it might, but it's not like he has a very good reputation as it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would a fair sign-and-trade with the Pacers look like?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Even if we get Durant, I’d take Indiana’s 5-year outlook over ours. DA, Halliburton, Mathurin and the greatest player in NBA history, TJ McConnell, make up an elite foursome

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

At the time I thought it was a solid move for Craig cause of the playoff experience we had but then we didn’t even use him. What a waste..

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if we get Durant, I’d take Indiana’s 5-year outlook over ours. DA, Halliburton, Mathurin and the greatest player in NBA history, TJ McConnell, make up an elite foursome

Hell of a big 4

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What would a fair sign-and-trade with the Pacers look like?

I’ll settle for Sabonis for Ayton. He’s an all star, a rebounding machine and really good in the pick and roll

We would be sacrificing defense but it’s a give and take

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ll settle for Sabonis for Ayton. He’s an all star, a rebounding machine and really good in the pick and roll

Sabonis is not on the Pacers, he was traded for Halliburton.

To me it's Turner and at least 3 unprotected 1sts and filler

or Turner and Halliburton

Anything less and I would not do a deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yup. That’s an enviable young core. Ayton is a proven high floor/potential player. Halliburton has some limited proven success. Stix has short term success. And Mathurin is great potential. That’s a nice young core with some valuable experience and some proven ability already.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I should have been more clear. I'm talking about a sign-and-trade involving the Pacers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sabonis is not on the Pacers, he was traded for Halliburton.

To me it's Turner and at least 3 unprotected 1sts and filler

or Turner and Halliburton

Anything less and I would not do a deal.
Dude… we are not getting 3 first round picks, much less 3 first round unprotected picks for DA.

That is just not realistic at all.