Rodney Hudson - returns after holding out?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You could say the same for probably 28 other teams in the NFL. The depth isn't really the problem. I think it was you who said this years ago, but every good OL has two or three players who are above average starters. The Cardinals don't have that.
Yes. You need great depth or great top end talent or a hell of a lot of luck.

So, if Justin Murray and Josh Jones and a backup C were at the ability of Justin Pugh, we would be fine.

If Hump and Pugh were Trent Williams and Joe Thuney good along with Hudson, we would be fine.

If Hudson came back and every OL starter played every snap, we would be fine.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This. Letting Humphries play the year on a 19 mil cap hit. Hudson and Pugh combining for over 20 mil. Justin Murray making more than both Beachum and Will Hernandez.

Another fun fact...Keim already has over 10 mil in dead money on the books for next year with Watt, Kennard and AJ Green's contracts.
Sorry, I need to update this. I forgot to count Jordan Phillips dead cap space. That puts us at 16 mil in dead space.

And 29.7 in available cap space...

...with Josh Jones being our only OL currently signed who has taken a snap in the NFL

...with Dennis Gardeck being our most experienced edge player

...with Marco Wilson being the only CB currently signed who has taken a snap in the NFL

...and only two IDL on the roster being Lawrence and Fotu.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Another trigger warning.

Here is our positional spending for EDGE / IDL / OL / CB under contract for 2023 if you remove Gladney and Hudson's contracts.

17.563 million...combined.

For context.

ILB contracts will account for 13.565 mil.

Budda Baker's cap hit will account for 16.871 mil.

RB and TE contracts will total 28.9 mil.

WR contracts 50.8 mil.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I need to update this. I forgot to count Jordan Phillips dead cap space. That puts us at 16 mil in dead space.

And 29.7 in available cap space...

...with Josh Jones being our only OL currently signed who has taken a snap in the NFL

...with Dennis Gardeck being our most experienced edge player

...with Marco Wilson being the only CB currently signed who has taken a snap in the NFL

...and only two IDL on the roster being Lawrence and Fotu.
Do we really have 30 million bucks in cap space right now?

Oh, wait… that’s all we have available for 2023 with all the holes we’re gonna have, right?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Oh, wait… that’s all we have available for 2023 with all the holes we’re gonna have, right?
Yes, but that doesn't count savings once Gladney and Hudson's contracts are resolved.

I am unsure how Gladney's gets resolved. My guess is they will just get the base salary back and not pursue the family for the bonus paid. If that is the case I think we would get 2.5 mil added to our 2023 cap number.

And I also am not sure how retirements are paid out. I think it is similar and we would add 5.7 mil to the cap.

So in 2023 we have all of those holes and like 40 mil to work with. (In truth there are options to create dollars but I am done assuming we would use them)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Hopkins situation will be very interesting to watch. After missing 13 games, he will have 11 to show why the Cardinals should pay him 30 mil in 2023.
It would be madness to pay Hopkins $30 million in 2023 and Hollywood Brown $13 million+. We prolly will though because [see avatar]

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think that's right. Don't we have like 40M next year?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Of course why would we be proactive for any reason?

Depth on the Oline is extremely weak and that does not help KM in any way

What is SK thinking? Or is he?

1. Do you know what the Hudson situation actually is? I don't.
2. Do you know that there weren't discussions with Tretter or any other replacement? I don't.

If or when you have the answers, we'll both know what Keim is thinking.

Last edited:

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2. Do you know that there weren't discussions with Tedder or any of replacement? I don't.

Number #1 message board rule

1. Never wait for facts to become apparent, always jump to conclusions with absolutely no PROOF. Always make emotional observations and look to assign blame before any event happens

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Get ready for it...

You must be registered for see images attach
Lol. I thought we were assured the Hudson thing was no biggie because tretter was available and would absolutely remain so. I want my money back. So far almost nothing the koolaiders claimed would happen has happened except we signed Darryl Williams. Cue the “there’s still plenty of options out there . . . “

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
2. Do you know that there weren't discussions with Tedder or any of replacement? I don't.

1. As of today the only information we have is he’s not playing but cards were trying to convince him to do so.
2. Trying doesn’t matter if you fail. We still have no player that is a legitimate nfl center.

At this point, who cares what keim is thinking. Thoughts don’t matter much in football if you can’t convert them to actions.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
100% example of when they say taking a non-priority position high in the draft diminishes your positional savings.

So you discount my bottom 16 by saying some sites have us 15, 19, and 15.5? So, right around 16 which would put it in the bottom 16. If I said universally held as a bottom 17 would you feel better about it? Come on man...

To your point about us being better...I kind of doubt it. Justin Murray is a meh. Josh Jones is a meh. Will Hernandez was brought in because they were not comfortable with either of those two players starting at RG. Will Hernandez is also a meh. Counting on contributions from 6th round rookies also not realistic and I like those two players. Hudson looks less likely to show which then changes our line from having a slight above average LG and a above average C to a replacement level LG and a replacement level C to pair with a replacement level RG.

This highlights the biggest issue with our offensive line as a group. The quality of 4 of the 5 starters is ok but the 5th starter is replacement level and the depth is the same. This means that under ideal circumstances we have one weak spot and four guys who are not close to being dominant. This means you have someone you consistently have to help which puts the other players under more pressure to win every one-on-one matchup regardless of the player across from them.

No. I discount your bottom 16 because when fans talk about the O line, and this whole thread proves it, they talk about pass pro. And our pass pro has been decent, as all the examples I pointed out state.

Our run blocking generally sucks, but then nobody here has referred to run blocking once.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Basically is your line has to consistently start two of the three of Justin Murray, Will Hernandez and Josh Jones, without multiple pro bowlers next to them and with a QB who has poor pocket skills, you are asking for trouble.

Our starting O line vs the Rams on the road was Hump, Pugh, Hudson, Garcia, Jones. We won 37-20. Aaron Donald didn't have a sack.

Our starting O line vs the Brown's was Hump, Pugh, Garcia, Jones, Beachum. We won 37-14.

The same line started vs the Texans. We won 31-5.

It got worse vs the Packers with Sean Harlow replacing Garcia at C. We were an AG Green brain fart away from winning.

Our starting O line vs the Seahawks on the road had Garcia and Harlow manning both guards positions. We won 23-13.

Harlow and Garcia again manned the guard positions against the Bears and we won 33-22.

Hump missed the Cowboys game so Beachum switched to LT, Jones played RT and Garcia RG. We won 25-22.

That's just 7 games where we had 2 of that level of player you mention starting and we won all but 1 and should have won the 1.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. I discount your bottom 16 because when fans talk about the O line, and this whole thread proves it, they talk about pass pro. And our pass pro has been decent, as all the examples I pointed out state.

Our run blocking generally sucks, but then nobody here has referred to run blocking once.

Our pass pro is wayyyyy over rated because of Kylers ability to avoid sacks (yes a handful of the sacks he does take are long ones thinking he can escapes but he evades wayyyy more).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose