The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even trade AntMan straight up for KD right now

Yeah. I wouldn't have done it for a soon to be 34 year old player. Anthony Edwards will be a star.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could the Nets be waking up?

Per Brian Windhorst, the Nets are a little shaken up at the direction this "bidding war" is going.

"When the Nets put him on the market, I think [the Nets] thought there was going to be a tremendous bidding war and while there’s a lot of interest, from what I can tell, that bidding war isn’t really hot right now. The teams have made their offers and they don’t really see the need to increase them,” Windhorst said. “Now maybe they’ll be a little bit of action at Summer League where NBA executives are gathering the next few days. There could be a restart of action there"

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
honestly, i think the Nets are embarrassing themselves. Posturing is one thing. But they've been putting out nonsense. The Suns have been much more mature and (quiet) during this whole process.

i wish our local sports media was more measured rather than blabbing bs like "when you get an opportunity like this you've got to pay their price" etc..

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo vs Flex:
-
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't get the Gambo vs Flex thing. Gambo shot down his illegal trade offer. If this is the rumors about not being to include Ayton if he signs an offer sheet that is true. Flex is an idiot then if he thinks otherwise. Hit Tweet is vague which rumor. However, about the current rumor....It's right there in the rules:

92. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?​

The sign-and-trade rule allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, and not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind -- if the trade is not completed, then the signing is invalidated.

To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

• The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
  • The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
  • The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 42).
  • The team receiving the player cannot be above the "Apron" (see question number 20) at the conclusion of the trade1, 2. A team above the Apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the Apron.
  • The team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
  • The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
  • The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex is an idiot then if he thinks it's still possible. It's right there in the rules:

92. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?​

The sign-and-trade rule allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes. Under this rule the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract stipulating that the contract is null and void if the trade to the specific team is not completed within 48 hours. A sign-and-trade is treated like a single, atomic transaction, and not two separate transactions between which one party can change its mind -- if the trade is not completed, then the signing is invalidated.

To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

• The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
  • The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
  • The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 42).
  • The team receiving the player cannot be above the "Apron" (see question number 20) at the conclusion of the trade1, 2. A team above the Apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the Apron.
  • The team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
  • The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
  • The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

I think Flex is an idiot but not sure what you're refuting that he put out.

Ayton can be dealt to Indiana for picks we then flip to Brooklyn.

Of course if they sign him to an offer sheet, then we're stuck with Ayton if we choose to match.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo vs Flex:
-

I'm not quite sure what the disagreement is about.

The Suns could trade for Durant without Ayton being sent to the Nets. I haven't even heard they want him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Flex is an idiot but not sure what you're refuting that he put out.

Ayton can be dealt to Indiana for picks we then flip to Brooklyn.

Of course if they sign him to an offer sheet, then we're stuck with Ayton if we choose to match.
Once again Flex is being extremely vague, but the most prominent rumors RIGHT NOW are about Ayton signing an offer sheet and what that would do. In the comments people are debating if the local guys are right about that. So, I am not the only one assuming that is what he is referencing.

If he is not referring to that he should be more specific and put his neck out there and stop being so vague. Gambo threw down the gauntlet to all these alleged insiders. He said if it's a done deal or you have specifics? Put it out there. Don't make some vague prediction so later you can say you were right.

You know why he did that? Because people were bombarding him with all these alleged insiders and their vague statements when they didn't even know the Nets were not interested in Ayton. He even shot down the Flex Tweet that suggested a trade against NBA rules could be "finalized" which he obviously didn't know either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again Flex is being extremely vague, but the most prominent rumors RIGHT NOW are about Ayton signing an offer sheet and what that would do. In the comments people are debating if the local guys are right about that. So, I am not the only one assuming that is what he is referencing.

If he is not referring to that he should be more specific and put his neck out there and stop being so vague. Gambo threw down the gauntlet to all these alleged insiders. He said if it's a done deal or you have specifics? Put it out there. Don't make some vague prediction so later you can say you were right.

You know why he did that? Because people were bombarding him with all these alleged insiders and their vague statements.

This is the last tweet about the Suns I have seen from John Gambadoro. That was yesterday.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the last tweet about the Suns I have seen from John Gambadoro. That was yesterday.

Yep, I read that and it's on point in terms of what can happen except the exact date. Sounds like the Pacer's have to actually wait until the 9th before Ayton could actually sign an offer sheet. I am sure if that is going to happen the team and Ayton have already worked out the details.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I read that and it's on point in terms of what can happen except the exact date. Sounds like the Pacer's have to actually wait until the 9th to make an "official" offer.

This is my understanding as well so the Pacers don't currently have cap space to sign Ayton to an offer sheet today or tomorrow.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my understanding as well so the Pacers don't currently have cap space to do it today or tomorrow.
It's possible if the Pacers are going to make an official offer Saturday night. If so, they already have a deal worked out. Agents obviously have to field the offer and review it before Ayton can sign it. I doubt that happens at the last minute.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's possible if the Pacers are going to make an official offer Saturday night. If so, they already have a deal worked out. Agents obviously have to field the offer and review it before Ayton can sign it. I doubt that happens at the last minute.

If a sign-and-trade is not worked out beforehand it could well happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An offer sheet is not going to be submitted it a vacuum. The Moratorium ended on July 6th.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a sign-and-trade is not worked out beforehand it could well happen.
I am going to kind of laugh though if this entire time one of two scenarios is true. Either the Suns were bluffing this entire time and were willing to pay the max if another team does or if the Nets have been blowing smoke this entire time and are willing to take what the Suns give them.
Did you read the latest from Windhorst (https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/the-durant-sweepstakes.487634/page-57#post-4860979)?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to kind of laugh though if this entire time one of two scenarios is true. Either the Suns were bluffing this entire time and were willing to pay the max if another team does or if the Nets have been blowing smoke this entire time and are willing to take what the Suns give them.
Did you read the lastest from Windhorst (https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/the-durant-sweepstakes.487634/page-57#post-4860979)?

We are watching teams play chess behind a curtain and trying to guess what they are doing.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are watching teams play chess behind a curtain and trying to guess what they are doing.
If what Windhorst is saying is true? Sounds like the Nets FO is just as incompetent as people thought if they are SHOCKED that there wasn't a massive bidding war for KD at the prices they were asking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If what Windhorst is saying is true? Sounds like the Nets FO is just as incompetent as people thought if they are SHOCKED that there wasn't a massive bidding war for KD at the prices they were asking.
The KAT/Ant-Man/3 First Round picks trade offer was one of the most ridiculous proposals I’ve ever seen.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
If the Pacers really want Ayton, signing him to an offer isn't the way to go about it. Suns will (had better!) match and then that's over and the Pacers can no longer trade for him. Instead they would need to work out a sign and trade with the Suns.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I’ve kind of tempered my expectations when it comes to whether or not the Suns will acquire KD. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the James Jones era it’s that everything is kept air tight and there really isn’t much out there to speculate on. So now I just sit back and let the process play out. It’ll be interesting to watch but I don’t get too caught up in the rumors because of the way this front office operates.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve kind of tempered my expectations when it comes to whether or not the Suns will acquire KD. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the James Jones era it’s that everything is kept air tight and there really isn’t much out there to speculate on. So now I just sit back and let the process play out. It’ll be interesting to watch but I don’t get too caught up in the rumors because of the way this front office operates.

Makes sense. I've tried taking that outlook but still have stayed up to date on everything. I'd like to see us get KD but that has more to do with that being the only move that is somewhat realistic that will allow this team to contend next season. They can not run it back with the same starting 5. The loss in the playoffs was embarrassing. Not just the game 7 loss but having the Pelicans and Mavericks push what was supposed to be the best Suns team ever showed how the Suns werent legit contenders.

I know people want to see the team upgrade the PF position but that won't happen unless one of the other starters is traded. They'll be in tax territory retaining Ayton so expecting them to somehow upgrade PF without losing anyone of value and spending a fortune isn't realistic for this team. We aren't the Lakers or Knicks in a large market where the tax doesn't matter and we cant trade our trash for someone's treasure.

Whatever happens will happen. I hope it makes the team better because the team is too old to expect significant internal growth to lead them to contention.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
If the Pacers really want Ayton, signing him to an offer isn't the way to go about it. Suns will (had better!) match and then that's over and the Pacers can no longer trade for him. Instead they would need to work out a sign and trade with the Suns.
Once ayton signs an offer sheet he can no longer be traded for 6 months if we match. The Pacers can work out a sign and trade before hand but once the offer sheet is signed, the choice is to a) match the offer or b) let him go for nothing

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Oddly enough FLEX is about the only one I’ve put much stock into. My opinion has shifted a bit when it comes to him. I know he’s a bit polarizing in the Suns community but I do think he’s more plugged in than any other “insider” the Suns have at this point…at least with what’s happened with KD up to now. I don’t take everything he says as gospel but I do sense he has more to offer than most anyone else regarding this situation…which has been very little from all the usual talking heads.

But I will tell you one thing. I love that Devin Booker has seemed to develop this desire from star players to want to team with him. It feels great to have that kind of franchise player having that kind of impact on other franchise players around the league. To me, that says everything I need to know about his abilities.