The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really sad that a fan in New Jersey is a better reporter for the team than anyone in the state of Arizona

It's hard to understand how the local media hasn't developed better connections with the inner workings of the Suns.

Maybe some trust was lost somewhere along the way?

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to understand how the local media hasn't developed better connections with the inner workings of the Suns.

Maybe some trust was lost somewhere along the way?

It doesn't help that a big organization like the Athletic doesn't have a single Suns, Dbacks, or Coyotes guy. I am not even sure they have a Cardinals guy

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
With Durant you have three clutch shot creators when you really need a basket. So many times last year we needed to stop a run and when booker was tied up, or CP was hobbled we were left with some subpar shot creators and streaky shooters. Even with aytons improvement I found myself nervous every time we went to post up.

I think I’d take the crazy potent offensive potential at this point vs Watching crowder, Payne and company chuck shots.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
While this is correct in that he can't be traded for 2 more years it's not really the super max that is the issue there. He had 2 years left on his existing deal and added 4 more years to that. A player can't be traded if they have more than 4 seasons left on their contract.
Huh, that’s a new one for me. Hadn’t known that. Amazing how complicated trade rules have become.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh, that’s a new one for me. Hadn’t known that. Amazing how complicated trade rules have become.
Yeah it was changed several years ago when they made it so that smaller market teams had a better chance of retaining their young stars. Now, the home team has the right to offer 5 year contracts, no one else can do that either directly or as part of a sign and trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that a big organization like the Athletic doesn't have a single Suns, Dbacks, or Coyotes guy. I am not even sure they have a Cardinals guy

This is one of reasons I haven't stayed subscribed to The Athletic. I want more Suns news and details about the inner workings of the teams.

PHNX makes a very strong effort to provide local sports information about the Suns. I might join them them based upon their effort alone. I follow Gerald Bourguet a lot on twitter plus watch their podcasts.

ESPN Insider is probably the best single source about detailed NBA news.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Durant is really the only way this team can improve without Ayton.
Well, while I mostly agree with this statement, you should also keep in mind we could also get worse.

The track record for teams with 3 or 4 really high paid guys and a bunch of scrubs to fill out the rest of the roster isn't really that good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, while I mostly agree with this statement, you should also keep in mind we could also get worse.

The track record for teams with 3 or 4 really high paid guys and a bunch of scrubs to fill out the rest of the roster isn't really that good.
Worked for the Lakers in the bubble...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
My biggest concern is defense. If the Suns lose Ayton and Bridges, I am really not sure how they are going to defend anyone. KD is a good defender, but he is getting up there in age. Paul was a good defender, but he's lost a couple of steps. I have a feeling Crowder would get flipped for a big man. I still say do the deal if you can get KD, but I do have some serious concerns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any Durant trade?
Yeah, that is the question. If there's no saving the DA situation, I'm in favor of trading him and our future picks plus a couple of contracts for Durant but I'd be hesitant to give them CamJ and I'd absolutely draw the line on Mikal. Ayton (or whatever he brings in a 3 way trade) plus three firsts, three pick swaps and any combination of Crowder, Saric, Payne and Shamet is more than fair IMO for a 34 year old Durant.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The longer this drags out, the less options the Suns will have in free agency.

Here is a link to a free agency tracker.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, that is the question. If there's no saving the DA situation, I'm in favor of trading him and our future picks plus a couple of contracts for Durant but I'd be hesitant to give them CamJ and I'd absolutely draw the line on Mikal. Ayton (or whatever he brings in a 3 way trade) plus three firsts, three pick swaps and any combination of Crowder, Saric, Payne and Shamet is more than fair IMO for a 34 year old Durant.
Agreed. Gambo even floated the possibilities of not needing Ayton or even Bridges with an extreme pick dump. I'm less convinced of that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Gambo even floated the possibilities of not needing Ayton or even Bridges with an extreme pick dump. I'm less convinced of that.
I will blow JJ if he accomplishes this without needing to put Bridges and Ayton into a deal… whether that’s straight up or three or four way deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the what it is worth category.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If JJ can bring in KD without trading Mikal or Ayton for him then he deserves the Executive of the Year award again and I'll never question his decision making again.

I don't see that happening but it would be huge if it did.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will blow JJ if he accomplishes this without needing to put Bridges and Ayton into a deal… whether that’s straight up or three or four way deal.

You mean like you and me and someone else take turns blowing him or you blow him alone? Because I'm down. Get it done JJ!

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm calling it now like i said, cp3 will be moved. I'm speculating cp3 wore thin on Ayton and suns prefer to keep Ayton, all this to keep a prime Book happy.