Suns Off-season Thread

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
losing a key role-player like McGee is awful.
but get used to it when you're paying a guy who is barely an all-star 53 million a year

interesting that not one poster has mentioned a reservation about that
-- even though he has recurring hamstring problems and played a major role in the great 2022 collapse!
(out via hamstring in the 1st round and checked out via who-knows-what in the 2nd round)

i like Book. but the Booker bias is off base. His salary is a problem going forward, because it's more likely we're going backwards to the bad-old days unless, for the short term, this Durant thing works out without too many significant cuts in personnel
Barely an all-star…..the man made first team All-NBA and was 4th in MVP voting. Don’t use all-star votes as a deterrent to Book. He puts up numbers and he’s only getting better.

Now listen, the hammy is something he needs to address no doubt and he was terrible in games 6-7. But let’s be honest, no one showed up that night. He could’ve scored 40 and we still would’ve lost considering all the other contributions or lack thereof.

Book isn’t beyond criticism but he’s 25….prime is usually 28-32ish for NBA players. The last thing we need to do is alienate Book and not offer him the Supermax.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, with the current roster, the Suns most immediate need is at guard and center.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't view a mediocre player off one of the worst teams in the league as a big get, especially when that team was actually worse when he was on the court. This will be Wood's 7th team, he hasn't made a real impact anywhere, he has only gotten real minutes on teams that are deliberately losing.

They now have the option to go big... they didn't have that before, but I think with a guy like Luka bullying people, they're better off playing small anyway.

I'm not saying he hurts them, but I don't think he really helps much either. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't a part of their playoff rotation next year.
18/10 is not mediocre. I mean he is athletic, has shown explosiveness, is a decent shooter (streaky but poor shot selection sometimes), there are times he looks good on defense and times he looks lost. However, he is still better than a ton of other PF's in the NBA. He is a poor man's Chris Bosh type player (not saying he is him). Again, I don't expect him to lead the team in scoring or be the best player out there. The Mavs literally went to having a giant hole to filling it IMO.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ughhhhh now reports saying nets wo nt trade kd unless book involved f that!!! Especially after max lol

As has been mentioned, the BleacherReport guy who is the source of those reports is an imbecile. Booker literally cannot be traded to the Nets because of his rookie extension. It isn't even a possibility.

Ignore it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ughhhhh now reports saying nets wo nt trade kd unless book involved f that!!! Especially after max lol
That's old news and I doubt accurate. The Suns just signed Booker to a Supermax. Nets want no part of that contract. They didn't even want Ayton at max.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
18/10 is not mediocre. I mean he is athletic, has shown explosiveness, is a decent shooter (streaky but poor shot selection sometimes), there are times he looks good on defense and times he looks lost. However, he is still better than a ton of other PF's in the NBA. He is a poor mans Chris Bosh. Again, I don't expect him to lead the team in scoring or be the best player out there. The Mavs literally went to having a giant hold to filling it IMO.

I'm sorry, but I think it's mediocre. The only big man on a terrible team tends to put up some stats by default. I think Rashaun Holmes sucks out loud, he averaged 14 and 8 for the Kings.

I think he is a run of the mill, terrible defending stretch big who got some fat numbers playing on a tanking team, a team that played worse when he was on the court.

I don't think Dallas has improved. Brunson is a far more impactful player... but I wouldn't want to pay him 28 mil a year either.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We won't but even if we wanted to, we can't due to CBA restrictions as long as Simmons is on their roster.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I think it's mediocre. The only big man on a terrible team tends to put up some stats by default. I think Rashaun Holmes sucks out loud, he averaged 14 and 8 for the Kings.

I think he is a run of the mill, terrible defending stretch big who got some fat numbers playing on a tanking team, a team that played worse when he was on the court.

I don't think Dallas has improved. Brunson is a far more impactful player... but I wouldn't want to pay him 28 mil a year either.
There is a big difference between 14/8 and 18/10. We shall see. I think he possibly turns into a 20/10 guy with the Mavs. There FC has definitely improved. Mavs biggest weakness was their inability to rebound at times. When Luca was off, they were one and done. That happens less. Brunson could be a loss for sure but he was more effective when Luca wasn't on the court. Like all the other teams, they can still make moves mid-season if Brunson's loss is impactful.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We aren’t trading Booker. Any noise about that has to stop. It’s the primary reason kd wants to come to az. Would’ve been like trading Booker for Paul. Pure stupidity.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We aren’t trading Booker. Any noise about that has to stop. It’s the primary reason kd wants to come to az. Would’ve been like trading Booker for Paul. Pure stupidity.
Right....aside from they can't (nobody is absorbing that SuperMax), KD would no longer want to come here if he wasn't playing with Book.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As has been mentioned, the BleacherReport guy who is the source of those reports is an imbecile. Booker literally cannot be traded to the Nets because of his rookie extension. It isn't even a possibility.

Ignore it.
As I pointed out that’s not entirely true. If the nets moved Simmons that rule becomes irrelevant.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a big difference between 14/8 and 18/10. We shall see. I think he possibly turns into a 20/10 guy with the Mavs. There FC has definitely improved. Mavs biggest weakness was their inability to rebound at time. When Luca was off, they were one and done. That happens less. Brunson could be a loss for sure but he was more effective when Luca wasn't on the court.

I agree, there is a difference, and I think Holmes sucks out loud while Wood is merely mediocre and not a starter on most teams and not someone think I think they'll want on the court when it matters.

I agree that Brunson was better when Luka was out but they need someone who can carry the load when Luka is off the court, not to mention that Luka gets dinged up a lot.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I pointed out that’s not entirely true. If the nets moved Simmons that rule becomes irrelevant.

Regardless, no one wants Ben Simmons and the only reason Durant wants to come here is because of Booker. The writer putting that out there is an imbecile.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, there is a difference, and I think Holmes sucks out loud while Wood is merely mediocre and not a starter on most teams and not someone think I think they'll want off the court when it matters.

I agree that Brunson was better when Luka was out but they need someone who can carry the load when Luka is off the court, not to mention that Luka gets dinged up a lot.
Even if I agreed with you (which I think he is slightly better than that), the Mavs went from a gigantic hole to not having one IMO. The they add some toughness with McGee which they were also lacking. I have zero doubt they shored up a big weakness. Again, we shall see.

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
It would be embarrassing to be honest. I mean after all this hype you bring back the same team without a better roster while teams like the Mavs have gotten better?

Embarrassing.
Losing Brunson and gaining McGee is not improving.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex still thinks Durant is coming to the Suns, some dominoes have to fall, but it's a player's league and he wants to play here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Brunson and gaining McGee is not improving.
Losing Brunson, getting Wood and McGee you mean. We shall see. Again, there are still moves to be made now or during the season if they feel they can't replace his production. If they replace his production either internally or through a trade later? There is no doubt.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This place cracks me up.

Earlier today the trend seemed to be "looks like we're gunna run it back", then it became "DURANT BABY!!!!" then for some inexplicable reason all that "DURANT BABY!!!" energy turned negative in like half an hour.

I think I should stick to popping in for short bursts really late at night when the keel is more even.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flex still thinks Durant is coming to the Suns, some dominoes have to fall, but it's a player's league and he wants to play here.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Most prognosticators think that and everybody knows chips have to fall. Look at the betting odds for KD coming here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Brunson, getting Wood and McGee you mean. We shall see. Again, there are still moves to be made now or during the season if they feel they can't replace his production. If they replace his production either internally or through a trade later? There is no doubt.
Losing Brunson means losing a big shot creator. Having both Luka and Brunson being able to create for themselves and others was a big reason we lost… well, that and is being completely pathetic at everything else after taking a 2-0 lead.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barely an all-star…..the man made first team All-NBA and was 4th in MVP voting. Don’t use all-star votes as a deterrent to Book. He puts up numbers and he’s only getting better.
Book isn’t beyond criticism but he’s 25….prime is usually 28-32ish for NBA players. The last thing we need to do is alienate Book and not offer him the Supermax.

that's the thing. he'd have to get substantially better -- more like Curry level (and be consistently healthy) to compensate for the salary sacrifices we'll be making.

honestly, he made All-NBA because of the campaign that was happening, mostly from being on the "best team in the league." But he was only added to two all-star teams (due to someone's injury, both times or one? i don't recall).

i sure hope him making the cover of that NBA video game translates into something real on the court

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Brunson means losing a big shot creator. Having both Luka and Brunson being able to create for themselves and others was a big reason we lost… well, that and is being completely pathetic at everything else after taking a 2-0 lead.
Beig pathetic at everything else was a pretty big reason. LOL.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree. While we SHOULD have beaten the Mavs team that we played, I think their small lineup and Brunson were major factors at why we lost.

It doesn't really matter for anything but I think LAST year's Suns would match up way better against this new version of the Mavs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. While we SHOULD have beaten the Mavs team that we played, I think their small lineup and Brunson were major factors at why we lost.

It doesn't really matter for anything but I think LAST year's Suns would match up way better against this new version of the Mavs.
I am still of the mind the Suns peaked to early and had bad momentum going into the playoffs. The team we had for most of the season beats the Mavs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose