Suns Off-season Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if we make this KD trade for Ayton, bridges and Cam… who will be left in FA that could even round out the roster?

And I’m slipping further into the depths of KD despair by the second.
Yep, the Suns are being left out to dry the longer this takes. The only thing I can see the Suns doing is trading Ayton for pieces or keeping him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the Suns are being left out to dry the longer this takes. The only thing I can see the Suns doing is trading Ayton for pieces or keeping him.
It would be kinda hilarious that If after all was said and done, they basically bring back the exact same team, sans McGee.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
On the flip side, I haven’t seen a lot of deals for players that the Suns could of matched.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be kinda hilarious that If after all was said and done, they basically bring back the exact same team, sans McGee.
It would be embarrassing to be honest. I mean after all this hype you bring back the same team without a better roster while teams like the Mavs have gotten better?

Embarrassing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's really not a terrible scenario at the moment.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
It would be embarrassing to be honest. I mean after all this hype you bring back the same team without a better roster while teams like the Mavs have gotten better?

Embarrassing.
The Mavs are losing Brunson most likely… not sure that makes them better.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mavs are losing Brunson most likely… not sure that makes them better.
Brunson was up and down all season. I think they can replace that. They got Christian Wood which is a great acquisition and McGee. There biggest weakness was the FC.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
losing a key role-player like McGee is awful.
but get used to it when you're paying a guy who is barely an all-star 53 million a year

interesting that not one poster has mentioned a reservation about that
-- even though he has recurring hamstring problems and played a major role in the great 2022 collapse!
(out via hamstring in the 1st round and checked out via who-knows-what in the 2nd round)

i like Book. but the Booker bias is off base. His salary is a problem going forward, because it's more likely we're going backwards to the bad-old days unless, for the short term, this Durant thing works out without too many significant cuts in personnel

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Embarrassing.
To be fair, if the mavs lose Brunson they didn’t get better, they got different.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, if the mavs lose Brunson they didn’t get better, they got different.
I read some stat that said Brunson was at his best when he and Luca were not on the court together. I think they are going to look for their other bench players to replace that production. I know easier said than done but anytime you can shore up your biggest weakness. It's a good offseason.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brunson was up and down all season. I think they can replace that. They got Christian Wood which is a great acquisition and McGee. There biggest weakness was the FC.

I might get proven wrong on this one but Christian Wood doesn't move the needle for me at all. Centers on terrible teams tend to put up decent numbers... someone has to get some of those boards and get some points. Houston actually played worse with Wood on the floor than with him off it. He basically doesn't play any defense.

I don't think he is a starter on most teams and I bet that as the season wears on Dallas ends up not using him much in the 4th quarter.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns have to revisit trade ideas with the Hawks.

So is Jalen Smith still available? The Suns could do much worse.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Brunson was right to move on. Both he and Doncic are score-first point guards. It does hurt Dallas to lose him, since they had a backup pg who played like a starter.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Nets know this. It went from they want a Superstar to they want an "Allstar Caliber" player. I am just stunned that they don't want Ayton. Nets apparently want a combo of young players and a bunch of picks. You can only trade every other 1st round pick (you can't trade consecutive 1st rounders).
It's not that they don't want him. They don't want him at 30+ million dollars per year win, and it seems like there might not be anybody who wants to make that much. I could see it if there were serious questions about his aggressiveness and focus. It's really frustrating.

Joe

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I might get proven wrong on this one but Christian Wood doesn't move the needle for me at all. Centers on terrible teams tend to put up decent numbers... someone has to get some of those boards and get some points. Houston actually played worse with Wood on the floor than with him off it. He basically doesn't play any defense.

I don't think he is a starter on most teams and I bet that as the season wears on Dallas ends up not using him much in the 4th quarter.
Of mcgee was signed to start does that mean wood is going to play pf? That means their other two stretch 4 and 5 are relegated to fewer minutes. They’re definitely deeper in the bigs department, but those additions combined with the loss of Brunson should be interesting to watch in terms of change in play. For instance. How does luka bully the lane with mcgee in? He’ll be camped out in the paint or as a pick and roll guy. Frankly I’d rather have luka going bully ball to the rim than passing to mcgee rolling.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

An 18/10 moves the needle IMO. I don't put much stock in how he played with Houston because they had soooo many issues on the floor. There are not that many 18/10 guys in the league. Not saying he is will be a Superstar but he improves them.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of mcgee was signed to start does that mean wood is going to play pf? That means their other two stretch 4 and 5 are relegated to fewer minutes. They’re definitely deeper in the bigs department, but those additions combined with the loss of Brunson should be interesting to watch in terms of change in play. For instance. How does luka bully the lane with mcgee in? He’ll be camped out in the paint or as a pick and roll guy. Frankly I’d rather have luka going bully ball to the rim than passing to mcgee rolling.

I think they will still play small a lot, especially in the clutch and especially when they're behind.

McGee can't defend outside and Wood doesn't really defend at all.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka is more effective overall when involving other players. I remember them showing a stat during our series that when Luka is taking all the shots they don't do well. When he involves other guys the Mavs win. I think you nailed it. I would rather Luka go bully ball.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
An 18/10 moves the needle IMO. I don't put much stock in how he played with Houston because they had soooo many issues on the floor. There are not that many 18/10 guys in the league. Not saying he is will be a Superstar but he improves them.

I just can't view a mediocre player off one of the worst teams in the league as a big get, especially when that team was actually worse when he was on the court. This will be Wood's 7th team, he hasn't made a real impact anywhere, he has only gotten real minutes on teams that are deliberately losing.

They now have the option to go big... they didn't have that before, but I think with a guy like Luka bullying people, they're better off playing small anyway.

I'm not saying he hurts them, but I don't think he really helps much either. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't a part of their playoff rotation next year.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ughhhhh now reports saying nets wo nt trade kd unless book involved f that!!! Especially after max lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA