Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm not doubting them, but the weird thing is that getting torched by tight ends every week no longer seems to be a thing. Is that just fear of getting your arm broken by Budda factor?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cardinals putting together a “great plan” for DeAndre Hopkins’ return

Cardinals receiver DeAndre Hopkins has not played since Dec. 13. He won’t play again until at least Oct. 20.

Hopkins is working his way back from an injury to his medial collateral ligament that required surgery, and he will have to serve a six-game suspension for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy before he can return to the field.

The Cardinals were “really cautious” with him in the offseason program and will take a targeted approach in training camp.

“We’re trying to come up with a great plan that rolls right up to Week 7 of the season and make sure we’re smart about it,” Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN. “But the main thing I don’t want him to do is ramp up, make a bunch of plays in training camp, do this, practice really hard and then six weeks he’s not doing anything.”

The Cardinals will have Hopkins on a pitch count, per Weinfuss, as Kingsbury wants to minimize Hopkins’ reps while making sure he gets quality field and speed time.

Hopkins was running without a brace at the start of minicamp practices and did individual drills on the side.

“We have a good plan,” Kingsbury said. “But he looks great. He’s excited. I know he’s frustrated he can’t play the first six, but like I’ve said before, I think we’ll get the best version of them those last 11 and [it’ll] be fun to watch.”

Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray has missed Hopkins when the receiver has been out of the lineup. His completion percentage is 69 percent with Hopkins and 64 percent without him, and the quarterback’s yards per attempt falls from 7-1 to 6.7 without Hopkins.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Apparently they have multiple writers, bc this one has him as the #1 in the box safety.

Look, Budda is a good player, but probably one of the more overrated by local fans in a long time. Last year was definitely not his best year - I think that's reflected in his 80+ rank in other seasons.

Thompson was the better player last year, and probably will be moving forward.
My FFL team would agree, Budda was below avg last year. I will be taking Thompson as my DB this year

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Go listen to almost any NFL podcast & they’ll say how middling & bleh this roster looks on paper.

Sad.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Go listen to almost any NFL podcast & they’ll say how middling & bleh this roster looks on paper.

Sad.
Zero urgency or creativity to get anything done either. I guess that's what happens when you ink deals for more than HALF A DECADE. What's the rush?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Huge discount?

His agent was already demanding 40 plus.

Essentially, because Steve Keim was unwilling to accelerate the extension and not set a new precedent for other quarterbacks down the line, the Cardinals will have to pay Murray $20-30 million more over the life of the deal. In terms of cap space, that could mean an extra contributing player or one higher-quality player on the roster per year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Essentially, because Steve Keim was unwilling to accelerate the extension and not set a new precedent for other quarterbacks down the line, the Cardinals will have to pay Murray $20-30 million more over the life of the deal. In terms of cap space, that could mean an extra contributing player or one higher-quality player on the roster per year.
TBF, I have absolutely zero doubt that this was a Michael decision, not a Keim was.

Being unwilling to open negotiations in February seems like a big miss though.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBF, I have absolutely zero doubt that this was a Michael decision, not a Keim was.

Being unwilling to open negotiations in February seems like a big miss though.
Wouldn’t an extension earlier also have opened up more cap space during FA?

If so, that basically means we hurt our ability to field a team this because of cap space AND will be taking up MORE cap space with his contract moving forward.

That’s would be truly impressive ineptitude.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

If so, that basically means we hurt our ability to field a team this because of cap space AND will be taking up MORE cap space with his contract moving forward.

No urgency to win.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

For this FA, but now we can jam as much of Kyler's new contract into this year as possible, opening up more future cap space (when the growth of the cap makes future space marginally less valuable).

The thumb with a face strikes again.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am so fricken bored and down this off season. Seems like bad news and boring news all round. The highlight appears to be that our no.2 RB might be developing into a decent no.2 RB… please give me some good news bird city (even that crappy thing is being shoved down our throats) ugh :cry:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I am so fricken bored and down this off season. Seems like bad news and boring news all round. The highlight appears to be that our no.2 RB might be developing into a decent no.2 RB… please give me some good news bird city (even that crappy thing is being shoved down our throats) ugh :cry:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Both QB’s throw an insane amount of dimes. One thing that stood out was that the Cardinal WR’s dropped more of them than the Packer WR’s. With the exception of Hop, the Cardinal WR’s almost never make great catches. The ball is almost always just perfectly placed in their hands. And even then, some are dropped. Not like the days when Warner just had to put the ball in the vicinity of Fitz, Bolden, and Breaston & it was a big play.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't believe I have seen this elsewhere but in the positional overviews articles on the Cardinals website, it does have Luketa at EDGE.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't believe I have seen this elsewhere but in the positional overviews articles on the Cardinals website, it does have Luketa at EDGE.
I know you keep bringing Luketa's name up -- where do you really think he sorts out on the depth chart at Edge to make the team?

Golden
Kennard
Sanders
Gardeck
Thomas

It seems to me like all these guys are locks to make the final 53. I think the Cards only kept five on the roster last year. It seems like he's in a three-man race for half a roster spot with Dimukeje and Lemonier.

I just don't want to see you get hurt again.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know you keep bringing Luketa's name up -- where do you really think he sorts out on the depth chart at Edge to make the team?

Golden
Kennard
Sanders
Gardeck
Thomas

It seems to me like all these guys are locks to make the final 53. I think the Cards only kept five on the roster last year. It seems like he's in a three-man race for half a roster spot with Dimukeje and Lemonier.

I would be amazed if Luketa makes the 53. He's a super safe bet to place on the PS.

I have half an inkling they might keep 6 on the 53. Partly because all the youth and uncertainty at the position and partly because Thomas has some inside/outside flexibility.

But I still don't think Luketa makes it with 6.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Golden
Kennard
Sanders
Gardeck
Thomas

lol...he will have to make the roster on special teams. My main infatuation with his position is that I suspect Cam Thomas will get looks at DE and is a subtle DL add more than he is an EDGE add. I won't be shocked if they drafted Thomas to be able to let Zach Allen walk if they cant get a contract done that they like.