Lightyear (Disney/Pixar)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point. It is strange, but even so, I imagine Tim Allen's voice is only a very, very small part of the reason.
never underestimate the stupidity of a large section of the American people who may have decided they wouldn't see this for MAGA reasons. that's all I'm saying.

I'm pretty shocked at how weak it's done at the Box Office... with the summer movies bringing people back into the theaters in a way we haven't seen since 2020, I thought this would be a smash too.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never underestimate the stupidity of a large section of the American people who may have decided they wouldn't see this for MAGA reasons. that's all I'm saying.

I'm pretty shocked at how weak it's done at the Box Office... with the summer movies bringing people back into the theaters in a way we haven't seen since 2020, I thought this would be a smash too.
I hadn't realized this but outside of Sing 2 no animated film has grossed over 100 million at the U.S. Box Office in 2 years. Before Sing 2 you have to go back to Frozen 2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I hadn't realized this but outside of Sing 2 no animated film has grossed over 100 million at the U.S. Box Office in 2 years. Before Sing 2 you have to go back to Frozen 2.

Frozen 2 came out in November 2019. 4 months later we were in the pandemic. This isn't surprising at all. In fact, the surprising thing is really Sing 2's gross.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frozen 2 came out in November 2019. 4 months later we were in the pandemic. This isn't surprising at all. In fact, the surprising thing is really Sing 2's gross.
Yeah. At one point, family animation was a slam dunk. Seems like since the pandemic that clearly isn't the case at least consistently.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. At one point, family animation was a slam dunk. Seems like since the pandemic that clearly isn't the case at least consistently.
Is that because parents know they can wait a month and see it at home versus in the past having to wait 6 months?

Animation is something that translates much better to the home screen vs big adventure/action flicks do.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I agree but not having Tim Allen doesn't appear to be an issue with most people that have seen it. I know it's anecdotal but our "family circle of friends" that have seen it with theirs didn't miss Tim Allen one bit.

This is where I think a disconnect is happening. Not having Tim Allen isn't a big deal if you've seen the movie but it's not about the performance. It was the PR of not having him that that sunk it. Right or wrong it was seen as a negative by a large portion of the population. They saw it as a political, and not creative, move and it caused a backlash. This was a marketing/PR failure.

Top Gun was brought up. One thing that I think helped it is that they didn't get political with the marketing around it. That sound really odd to say for a movie about the Air Force. Then they open the movie up with PSM from Tom thanking everyone for coming and hoping they have fun. They created an inviting and welcoming experience for everyone that people responded to. It's good marketing vs bad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Is that because parents know they can wait a month and see it at home versus in the past having to wait 6 months?

Animation is something that translates much better to the home screen vs big adventure/action flicks do.
That and cautious parents aren't taking sub-5 year olds to the theater due to the lack of vaccines.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That and cautious parents aren't taking sub-5 year olds to the theater due to the lack of vaccines.
This was an issue for us early on. We took NONE of our kids to the theater until vaccines were cleared for their age group. Plus, even after my older two were vaccinated my youngest had not had that age grouped approved yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was an issue for us early on. We took NONE of our kids to the theater until vaccines were cleared for their age group. Plus, even after my older two were vaccinated my youngest had not had that age grouped approved yet.
I took my son to see Nightmare before Christmas in 4d at the El Cap in Hollywood back around when he turned 4 in 2019. I would never do that even today without an approved vaccine. PS: He loved the movie.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when they just made movies and we went to see them based on nothing but previews or newspaper ads? And then decided once we watched it if it was good or bad?

Was that world so terrible? This new world turns movies into horsepucky arguments before they even are close to being released. And, it isn't better IMO.

Just watch the damn movie. Or don't.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids under 10 wouldn't know Tim Allen, or his voice, if he was offering to buy them a popsicle and then look for a lost puppy.
Sure, but again, the reason Pixar movies are usually smashes at the box office is because they draw kids AND adults, not just kids w/ adults. 4 quadrant film. Slice a piece of one of those segments away and you get disappointing numbers at the BO.

And there’s lots of dumb adults just looking for reasons to be mad about anything they feel like is an attack on them.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but again, the reason Pixar movies are usually smashes at the box office is because they draw kids AND adults, not just kids w/ adults. 4 quadrant film. Slice a piece of one of those segments away and you get disappointing numbers at the BO.

And there’s lots of dumb adults just looking for reasons to be mad about anything they feel like is an attack on them.

I agree totally. The people having problems are adults, not kids. Which is the point I poorly made.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was blown away that Evil Dead 4 was available on Disney + less than 50 days after it's view. My family is mad travelling right now. We will watch this on Disney + in late July for Friday streaming and pizza.

We did the same thing with Bad Guys and Sonic 2. As family movies are rushed to streaming, I am just going to pass on the theater with them.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I see people are still "upset" over a one-second same sex kiss that was part of the regular story. According to these types of bigots (because yes, only bigots are upset by this), LGBT Americans should just hide their identity and never show PDA.
Well, duh!

No one cares if people are gay

Just quit rubbing your woke agenda in everyone's face.

Because again, no one cares if people are gay

The only ones making a big deal out of it are gay people with their living together, holding hands or kissing their partner

Duh!!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, duh!

No one cares if people are gay

Just quit rubbing your woke agenda in everyone's face.

Because again, no one cares if people are gay

The only ones making a big deal out of it are gay people with their living together, holding hands or kissing their partner

Duh!!

The first rated R movie I ever watched was "Heavy Metal" with my stepdad when I was like 8.

I somehow have managed not to screw the toaster to this day despite robot / human sex being in a cartoon (literally a line from the movie that I asked my dad to explain)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The first rated R movie I ever watched was "Heavy Metal" with my stepdad when I was like 8.

I somehow have managed not to screw the toaster to this day despite robot / human sex being in a cartoon (literally a line from the movie that I asked my dad to explain)

If you ever give it a go I'd definitely recommend lighter on the toast setting and be ready for the pop up

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Dad, what is screwing the toaster?"

"Go ask your mother"

"Mom, what is screwing the toaster?"

*slap* (Other room step dad laughs)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I was blown away that Evil Dead 4 was available on Disney + less than 50 days after it's view. My family is mad travelling right now. We will watch this on Disney + in late July for Friday streaming and pizza.

We did the same thing with Bad Guys and Sonic 2. As family movies are rushed to streaming, I am just going to pass on the theater with them.

FYI, Disney has been using a 45 day window from theatrical release for when it appears on D+. They even just did only 45 for Doctor Strange: MoM. I had seen some people wondering if they were going to move that one to 60 days to try to squeeze a little more box office out of it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Particularly not with being able to just wait a bit to see a lot of it on Netflix or Disney. Remember Covid cemented many peoples heavy, and expanded, use of streaming services. I know that unless my boys are pushing to see something in the theater, which is rare, we wait for it to stream. Rather I’d like to see big spectacle movies (top gun, Jurassic park, avatar, etc) in a theater where the grandeur gets the treatment it deserves.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Dr Strange is the aforementioned Evil Dead 4
Duh. <smacks forehead> It's been a busy day and I missed this one. I'm also not a horror fan so I couldn't tell you how many actual Evil Dead movies have been made. I did think it was strange though that D+ was showing them though.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not everyone is as perfect as you, alright? I still get a funny feeling when I see the word Kenmore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose