The Ayton Plan

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've tried to figure out the Suns collapse against the Mavericks but if any one player could do it chemistry wise, it might be Chris Paul if he were unhappy.
Well I mean he was beyond horrendus in the series so obviously he had a ton to do with it.

Chemistry wise I'm not sure, but that comment sure suggests his head wasn't in it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've tried to figure out the Suns collapse against the Mavericks but if any one player could do it chemistry wise, it might be Chris Paul if he were unhappy.

Crowder also blowing him off was a bad look

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 was acting like a feminine hygiene product during those interviews. "Its just basketball not life or death" WTF !?!

That's what I like to hear from my team leader.

Something was going on. Chris Paul was always coaching up the players especially Ayton.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
CP3 was acting like a feminine hygiene product during those interviews. "Its just basketball not life or death" WTF !?!

That's what I like to hear from my team leader.
Yeah, his whole attitude in every interview was and has been crap since the playoffs. We got the good CP, now we might be getting the other side of the coin.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s proven to have a short shelf life.

It’s one thing to be demanding and get in guys faces when your a stud but doing it when your the guy holding the team back makes people look at you sideways

I'm not so sure about that. He didn't last long in Houston because of Harden but we've all seen what Harden has done since then. The Rockets haven't been credible contenders since trading CP3.

Paul was great in OKC, although was only there 1 season. He wasn't in their plans long term. They had Shai and he helped mentor him and come into his own. The Thunder traded him because they didn't want to compete, they wanted more picks and to develop their youngsters. They got a pick from us and managed to get 2 more picks from flipping Rubio and Oubre. That had nothing to do with Paul other than they didn't want to compete.

Prior to those teams Paul spent years in LA and New Orleans. He asked out of both spots. New Orleans wanted to keep him and LA was blowing it up after moving Blake and DJ.

So this "short shelf life" narrative doesn't really match with reality.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So unless there is a team about to make another move it looks like there are few options for an offer sheet to Ayton (assuming it would be in the 25 million dollar range). According to caps space right now that leaves the following teams:

Detroit - 46 Million (but not sure if this includes the moves they just made that gobbled up space - I don't think so).
San Antonio - 31 million
Knicks - 30 Million
Orlando - 27 Million

These are the only teams with enough space to make sign Ayton to offer sheet for what he wants. Detroit is likely out. Knicks are going after Brunson. So, that really only leave San Antonio and Orlando?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So unless there is a team about to make another move it looks like there are few options for an offer sheet to Ayton (assuming it would be in the 25 million dollar range). According to caps space right now that leaves the following teams:

Detroit - 46 Million (but not sure if this includes the moves they just made that gobbled up space - I don't think so).
San Antonio - 31 million
Knicks - 30 Million
Orlando - 27 Million

These are the only teams with enough space to make sign Ayton to offer sheet for what he wants. Detroit is likely out. Knicks are going after Brunson. So, that really only leave San Antonio and Orlando?

There has to be something lined up where the Suns keep Ayton or trade him. Otherwise he is likely to be an unhappy camper.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There has to be something lined up where the Suns keep Ayton or trade him. Otherwise he is likely to be an unhappy camper.
It looks like to me (unless they have insider info with a team with pending moves) that the offer sheet scenario might be dead. So, the Suns always intended on resigning Ayton or they are fielding sign and trade scenarios. Doesn't seem like the offer sheet (minus something we don't know about) is that viable does it?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If Ayton leaves I wish the Suns could snag Mo Bamba.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
His numbers this year looked okay on average, but they were pretty volatile. I liked him college. But if Orlando - a team that can’t afford to lose talent - is not even tendering him, I wonder if eye test says “don’t trust the numbers.”

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hawks are also a possiblity for giving Ayton an offer, although the report is they don't want to do a full max.

They can dump most of collins salary if they want to.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like to me (unless they have insider info with a team with pending moves) that the offer sheet scenario might be dead. So, the Suns always intended on resigning Ayton or they are fielding sign and trade scenarios. Doesn't seem like the offer sheet (minus something we don't know about) is that viable does it?

I hope the offer sheet and playing for the qualifying offer are off the table and a deal is already in place for Ayton to stay here or do a sign-and-trade.

With all the activity, I think teams already know where the big dollar players are going.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So this "short shelf life" narrative doesn't really match with reality.
C'mon, CP wears on guys. That's pretty commmon knowledge:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawks are also a possiblity for giving Ayton an offer, although the report is they don't want to do a full max.

They can dump most of collins salary if they want to.

I wouldn't mind Collins and the Hawks young center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wonder what he gets he’s been a massive bust. So is it mental? Physical?

I really thought he was going to be a stud on the defensive end
I’ve been surprised at his lower shotblocking stats. Thought those would be better.

I’m not sure I’d call him a bust thought. 10pts, 8rebs, 2blocks, shot 38% from 3 on 4 threes per game in 25.7 minutes/game.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be a shocker if Chris Paul is the one who gets traded although that seems unlikely.
Just when Suns have you believing they are leaning one way they will go to the opposite. So a sudden Chris Paul trade wouldn't surprise me either given his also rumored to be overbearing to players after a while. They say Suns players were tuning him out towards the end of last year. Honestly I'd like to see a good young talented point guard be acquired as there's one out there

I'm also losing faith in Monty's lack of adjusting coaching after two playoffs so parting ways with him wouldn't cause alarm. Most of us were high on his hiring but are Suns now?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His numbers this year looked okay on average, but they were pretty volatile. I liked him college. But if Orlando - a team that can’t afford to lose talent - is not even tendering him, I wonder if eye test says “don’t trust the numbers.”

If Ayton leaves, it's more about finding a center that can start.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just when Suns have you believing they are leaning one way they will go to the opposite. So a sudden Chris Paul trade wouldn't surprise me either given his also rumored to be overbearing to players after a while. They say Suns players were tuning him out towards the end of last year. Honestly I'd like to see a good young talented point guard be acquired as there's one out there

I'm also losing faith in Monty's lack of adjusting coaching after two playoffs so parting ways with him wouldn't cause alarm. Most of us were high on his hiring but are Suns now?

Let's get Murray from the Spurs!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ayton leaves, it's more about finding a center that can start.
I am less concerned about the Center position. I think they can get average guys at that position and run it by committee. If they can get a legit PF and back up PG as part of the package? That would be fantastic IMO. I think it becomes less about who is playing Center if they can pull that off. The devil is in the details though...who can we realistically get.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’ve been surprised at his lower shotblocking stats. Thought those would be better.

I’m not sure I’d call him a bust thought. 10pts, 8rebs, 2blocks, shot 38% from 3 on 4 threes per game in 25.7 minutes/game.

But that’s been by far his best year and it’s still nothing to write home about.

6/5
5/5
8/5
10/8

And there not going to extend him at any number. For a guy that was a top 5 pick that’s a bust.

Maybe he’s a really late bloomer. I thought he would be a better Capela

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon, CP wears on guys. That's pretty commmon knowledge:

Redick played with him for 4 years and saying someone can be a tough teammate who takes time to get used to isn't exactly a condemnation of their leadership.

As for the other article, I don't out any stock in something Rondo says about him. They've famously beefed with each other for over a decade and Rondo has worn out his welcome literally everywhere he's been.

I have no doubt that Paul is a demanding teammate because he's a competitor. All of the top stars who experience success are like that.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Paul is a demanding teammate because he's a competitor. All of the top stars who experience success are like that.
CP is different than other stars. He was president of the players association. He is as much of a general and leader as any player in recent memory. That said, he also obviously wears on guys, and having a CP grind day in and day out clearly has had an impact.

I wouldn't dismiss the short shelf life as all circumstance.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CP is different than other stars. He was president of the players association. He is as much of a general and leader as any player in recent memory. That said, he also obviously wears on guys, and having a CP grind day in and day out clearly has had an impact.

I wouldn't dismiss the short shelf life as all circumstance.

Rumors Monty and Chris were also getting into

Monty and Chris also clashed in NO and that’s well on record.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Rumors Monty and Chris were also getting into

Monty and Chris also clashed in NO and that’s well on record.
Yeah, there just has to be more to all of this...we haven't gotten anything definitive, but how do you go from a team that was talking about best all time chemistry, to a complete meltdown in the playoffs? To a group of guys that puts up the best record in franchise history looking like they couldn't wait to be out of the playoffs?

Something big is missing here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The narrative that CP3 has a short shelf life has been a thing for over a decade. It’s not news that he wears thin on people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose