Arizona Cardinals offseason thread 2022

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think he means before the QB deals became inflated. He has new benchmarks now.
That makes some more sense. The kid's looking to get paid top dollar, and won't give any discounts. My opinion is that he thinks he should get the top contract in the league. Which is laughable, but also pure conjecture.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Uh, source? There's no damn way he would've given the team a "huge discount."
Ha, it was all over Cards news..

As soon as all the other big QB deals were signed, Kyler's agent wisely pulled whatever was offered.

Watson's deal completely changed QB compensation. If the Cards plan was to sign him regardless this offseason, they really screwed themselves by waiting.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It’s the fully guaranteed that is scary. I know the Browns did it. But do we want to be the Browns
The amount can be high but I think no agent can look any GM in the eye and act like the fully guaranteed part is now the new norm, just because the Browns are a batshiat crazy organization

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Ha, it was all over Cards news..

As soon as all the other big QB deals were signed, Kyler's agent wisely pulled whatever was offered.

Watson's deal completely changed QB compensation. If the Cards plan was to sign him regardless this offseason, they really screwed themselves by waiting.
Right, nothing about offering a discount. He was always shooting for top dollar; this just raised what top dollar is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't really see the Cards have much of a choice. No team would.

In a few years this may look like a bargain when the cap shoots up.
If they were a better run franchise they absolutely would have a choice. You can say as a franchise that you need to see more and if that means you have to pay 50 to see it, then you pay 50 to see it.

Ultimately this is the question...are you willing to pay 46 mil or whatever that huge current asking price is if last year's Kyler Murray is the Kyler Murray you get for the entirety of the contract?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The grades for Jalen and Budda should tell you all you need to know about PFF
Ha, PFF loves Budda! Listed him as their #1 box safety. Budda - "He has three 80.0-plus PFF run-defense grades in his first five seasons"

PFF clearly thinks highly of Budda, but he had an average year at best, and was more notable for missing plays then making them as the year went on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Ha, PFF loves Budda! Listed him as their #1 box safety. Budda - "He has three 80.0-plus PFF run-defense grades in his first five seasons"

PFF clearly thinks highly of Budda, but he had an average year at best, and was more notable for missing plays then making them as the year went on.
Ranked 30th and 38th for safeties per that PFF clown.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ranked 30th and 38th for safeties per that PFF clown.
Apparently they have multiple writers, bc this one has him as the #1 in the box safety.

Look, Budda is a good player, but probably one of the more overrated by local fans in a long time. Last year was definitely not his best year - I think that's reflected in his 80+ rank in other seasons.

Thompson was the better player last year, and probably will be moving forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m just happy we have both Budda & Jalen on our team.

Probably the only shining areas on defense
I like Murphy too. I don't think he is great, but I do believe he is a decent starting CB. Reminds me a bit of Jerraud Powers.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I like Murphy too. I don't think he is great, but I do believe he is a decent starting CB. Reminds me a bit of Jerraud Powers.
Will he get a Kirk like market resetting contract next offseason? His play really fell off as the year went on, picked on quite bit.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Will he get a Kirk like market resetting contract next offseason? His play really fell off as the year went on, picked on quite bit.
His value on the market is probably around 12 - 14 mil just by looking at what other similar players have signed for. He should be re-signed but Keim likes to choose mystery boxes over retaining the teams players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If they were a better run franchise they absolutely would have a choice. You can say as a franchise that you need to see more and if that means you have to pay 50 to see it, then you pay 50 to see it.

Ultimately this is the question...are you willing to pay 46 mil or whatever that huge current asking price is if last year's Kyler Murray is the Kyler Murray you get for the entirety of the contract?

I just don't see any franchise doing that in reality. Sure, they COULD. But the negative side effects of that, the lack of trust and confidence it would sow the seeds for just isn't worth it. I don't think any franchise would do that for those reasons. When it comes to QB's you either have to crap or get off the pot.

And frankly I think if the Cards did do that this board would rage at it.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
His value on the market is probably around 12 - 14 mil just by looking at what other similar players have signed for. He should be re-signed but Keim likes to choose mystery boxes over retaining the teams players.
See Humphries, DJ. Just wild that obvious layups are being ignored.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I just don't see any franchise doing that in reality. Sure, they COULD. But the negative side effects of that, the lack of trust and confidence it would sow the seeds for just isn't worth it. I don't think any franchise would do that for those reasons. When it comes to QB's you either have to crap or get off the pot.

And frankly I think if the Cards did do that this board would rage at it.
So many teams do this. Outside of Mahomes and Allen, this is actually the norm. And both of them showed a ton more than Kyler has shown. It is one thing that irritates me about his agent's negotiation. They are trying to shoehorn Kyler into the same category as Mahomes and Allen when he clearly isn't. The only side that an extension this offseason benefits is Kyler and his agent. Cardinals take on all of the risk which is why Kyler and his agent are pushing it so hard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
See Humphries, DJ. Just wild that obvious layups are being ignored.
That is one.

I will raise you

Massie to DJ Humphries
Golden to Reddick
Reddick to ?
Dockett to Campbell
Campbell to Nkemdiche
Mathieu to Baker
Shipley to Cole
Peterson to Murphy
Kirk to Moore
Ertz to McBride
Chandler Jones to ?
Chase Edmonds to Eno Benjamin
Devondre Campbell to Isaiah Simmons

That is just the transition of players I can think of off the top of my head.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So many teams do this. Outside of Mahomes and Allen, this is actually the norm. And both of them showed a ton more than Kyler has shown. It is one thing that irritates me about his agent's negotiation. They are trying to shoehorn Kyler into the same category as Mahomes and Allen when he clearly isn't. The only side that an extension this offseason benefits is Kyler and his agent. Cardinals take on all of the risk which is why Kyler and his agent are pushing it so hard.
I dunno, seems like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are pretty strong cases where they'd shown as many or more complications than Kyler has to-date.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dunno, seems like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are pretty strong cases where they'd shown as many or more complications than Kyler has to-date.
I forget and my brain is done for the day. Did they get extensions the year before their option year as well?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I forget and my brain is done for the day. Did they get extensions the year before their option year as well?
It's kind of hard for me to read the "History" tab on Over the Cap, but it looks like Wentz was drafted in 2016, extended in 2019, and traded before the extension even kicked in (LOL). That extension was announced in the first week of June after three seasons.

Jared Goff was also drafted in 2016, extended in 2019, but the new deal had already kicked in when he was traded.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave