Suns Off-season Thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is an enormous problem. The rest of our players are really bad rebounders. I don't think McGee is really the answer either. He is simply not capable of playing more than 20-25 minutes a night IMO.
Bridges and Crowder being incredibly subpar on the boards was a major bugaboo the last two years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McGee and Biz are flat out not starting caliber at all and both get ate up on switches.

Our record with them starting says they're capable. Look around the league, they're better than a number of teams run out at Center like Dallas, Golden State, Clippers, Sacramento, San Antonio, Houston...

They are middle of the road, which is fine. It's a downgrade from Ayton but not that significant of a downgrade when you look at the production the team asks for from the Center position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost as I view it, the Suns need another ballhandler that can help create. I don't feel comfortable with Cam Payne being the primary backup to Paul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our record with them starting says they're capable. Look around the league, they're better than a number of teams run out at Center like Dallas, Golden State, Clippers, Sacramento, San Antonio, Houston...

They are middle of the road, which is fine. It's a downgrade from Ayton but not that significant of a downgrade when you look at the production the team asks for from the Center position.

Our team was weird this year, they really took the Next Man Up mantra to heart.

Cp3 goes down, virtually no drop off with cp15. Ayton goes out, centers stepped up. Based on how everything went, everyone is almost replaceable...but this only works for the short term. I do think McGee and Biz can hold it down if we can move on from Crowder and get someone more dynamic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First and foremost as I view it, the Suns need another ballhandler that can help create. I don't feel comfortable with Cam Payne being the primary backup to Paul.
I want to see more of Aaron Holiday. I think he has the potential to be that guy--more so than Cam Payne.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see us try to get Stix back.

I would be.

I don’t think James jones is the type to admit to a mistake like that.

Yeah, I would be absolutely shocked. Even if Stix likes the ol gang, his agent, probably his family and every other team in the league who might want him will be reminding him that we are the team that gave up on him after only one year.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to see more of Aaron Holiday. I think he has the potential to be that guy--more so than Cam Payne.

Except Monty didn't seem to have a lot of confidence in giving Holiday more playing time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If he had more size or a better outside shot then I'd like to give him another look but he's not a PG and not big enough to be a SG. I'd rather have Javon Carter back.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If he had more size or a better outside shot then I'd like to give him another look but he's not a PG and not big enough to be a SG. I'd rather have Javon Carter back.
I heard one of the beat writers mention it was the size thing. Monty wants a bigger, better defender.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Carter is not really a point guard.

Neither is Aaron Holiday. I was only saying I'd rather have Carter than Holiday because Carter makes up for his size with his tenacity more so than Holiday. Offensively neither offers much.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Basically what we need is a Bill Russell who can play Luka or the Greek Freak defending one on one. Where do we get that guy?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are going to have to really scour the market for point guards to fit their budget.

It would be nice if Iffe could surprise or merit another two-way contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns are going to have to really scour the market for point guards to fit their budget.

It would be nice if Iffe could surprise or merit another two-way contract.

Iffe is 27 and will be 28 in December. He's also played more SG than PG. The odds of him being the answer at PG are incredibly slim, especially him being PGotF given his age. He'd be 30 by the time CP3 retires if Paul plays 2 more years.

I'd say him even being in the NBA when Paul retires are slim to none, let alone being the guy to take over for him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Iffe is 27 and will be 28 in December. He's also played more SG than PG. The odds of him being the answer at PG are incredibly slim, especially him being PGotF given his age. He'd be 30 by the time CP3 retires if Paul plays 2 more years.

I'd say him even being in the NBA when Paul retires are slim to none, let alone being the guy to take over for him.
However, I like that he's willing to play in the Summer League. He's at least got the right attitude, even if he may not have the skills.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I like that he's willing to play in the Summer League. He's at least got the right attitude, even if he may not have the skills.

He was playing in Russia and a war got in the way of his career there so staying in the states to try and get on an NBA team seems like it could be his only option to try and find a place to play professionally.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. We really don't know if Iffe has the skills or not since he has never played in the NBA except at the end of last season.

These are his stats for the 4 games he played.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'll bet you told your 4 year old there was no Santa too. Okay, you're right on all this but you just popped the bubble for a few of us desperate dreamers.