The Ayton Plan

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton will get a max offer from another team if it comes down to an offer sheet.
I don't think he will unless it's because of a bidding war on the open market someday. Atlanta allegedly didn't want to pay max. No teams so far have made an offer sheet for the 4 year max although the Suns are likely chasing teams away saying they will match. There was never a Superstar for Ayton deal on the table. That was all bunk. Detroit appeared to be the only team willing to do a max sign and trade and now they appear out.

It's still possible on the open market because of a bidding war he could get a max type offer someday. However, in hindsight, it makes the Suns look right about not offering Ayton the max extension unless another team comes forward with a RFA offer.

This might be another case of fans overvaluing their own talent in Ayton. Ayton still has value for sure and it's likely best for all parties he resigns here. Even if we trade him at some point, unless he makes huge leaps? Sounds like we need to temper expectations on a return for him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Ayton gets his MAX he's after. Guys like Gobert, Beal, Kristaps, KAT, Simmons, Wiggins (to an extent), Love, D'Angelo Russell (LOL), Hayward, and Griffin have proved that handing out a max isn't worth it. Ayton and Miles Bridges are in the same boat now and won't get paid from two teams that usually don't pay up and over.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we have to wait for the market to open before we can claim it's spoken. And from what I've read we're still putting out the message that we are going to sign him or match him so of course that's going to curtail interest to some degree.

Yeah it's very rare that a high performing restricted free agent is not retained by his original team which shows it's working as designed. I think the market for DA would be much different if he was in fact unrestricted. Teams know the control the Suns have and how confounded the sign and trade process is.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a contract starting at $25M would be fair value for Ayton, but I won't be upset if we give him the 4 year max which starts at $30.5M I believe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he will unless it's because of a bidding war on the open market someday. Atlanta allegedly didn't want to pay max. No teams so far have made an offer sheet for the 4 year max although the Suns are likely chasing teams away saying they will match. There was never a Superstar for Ayton deal on the table. That was all bunk. Detroit appeared to be the only team willing to do a max sign and trade and now they appear out.

It's still possible on the open market because of a bidding war he could get a max type offer someday. However, in hindsight, it makes the Suns look right about not offering Ayton the max extension unless another team comes forward with a RFA offer.

This might be another case of fans overvaluing their own talent in Ayton. Ayton still has value for sure and it's likely best for all parties he resigns here. Even if we trade him at some point, unless he makes huge leaps? Sounds like we need to temper expectations on a return for him.

Ayton will get a max offer from another team if it comes down to that. He has that kind of value. Salaries are only going to go up. I hope the Suns don't wait for an offer sheet before doing so.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah it's very rare that a high performing restricted free agent is not retained by his original team which shows it's working as designed. I think the market for DA would be much different if he was in fact unrestricted. Teams know the control the Suns have and how confounded the sign and trade process is.

The only team i see making an offer is Detroit. They can just sign him outright, then wheel and deal their recently acquire picks if they do get Ayton. Or they could move on from Bagley or Olynyk to free up more space.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a contract starting at $25M would be fair value for Ayton, but I won't be upset if we give him the 4 year max which starts at $30.5M I believe.

As I understand it the Suns can pay him about $5 million more on this type of contract and they should do so.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only team i see making an offer is Detroit. They can just sign him outright, then wheel and deal their recently acquire picks if they do get Ayton. Or they could move on from Bagley or Olynyk to free up more space.

I don't think Detroit dares to sign him to an offer sheet unless their attempts at a sign and trade are rebuffed and they just want to mess with us and throw some poison pills in the contract.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see this as contradictory. Both sides working things out and Ayton becoming the best player he can be me seems like what almost everyone wants.

It doesn’t matter what he does he’s gone the first chance the Suns get. This isn’t about production it’s about money in my opinion.

He played great and the Suns just had there best season ever coming off a finals run last year and they still tried to trade him at the deadline.

I have a feeling this is Monty’s last year to

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This and Detroit seems to be out. Where is a Max offer sheet going to come from?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That’s 3/4 million a year less than JJJ that’s insulting if I’m Ayton

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Free agency doesn't start until Thursday at 9pm AZ time. The market hasn't opened so of course he hasn't received an offer sheet. He literally can't receive one right now even if all parties agreed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what he does he’s gone the first chance the Suns get. This isn’t about production it’s about money in my opinion.

He played great and the Suns just had there best season ever coming off a finals run last year and they still tried to trade him at the deadline.

I have a feeling this is Monty’s last year to

I believe it's more than about money. It's more about his role in Monty's offense and defense. He needs to be utilized more.

If Monty is going to leave, it's more reason to keep him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if this was his second veteran contract, he'd be lucky to get 25M per year. But coming off your rookie contract is a different animal, if the market supports it, he's worth the max.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This and Detroit seems to be out. Where is a Max offer sheet going to come from?

Only about 3/4 teams even had room for a max deal I think

ATL
Detriot
SA
Charlotte

Detriot just got a big man in a draft day trade

ATL seems focused on Murray from SA

SA seems like they might be going full tank mode

Charlotte just came out and said they ain’t paying there own RFA the max either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is just the difference between the 5% and 8% increases.

Yes. It's still a difference maker though. If the Suns simply match, I don't think they have to pay it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe it's more than about money. It's more about his role in Monty's offense and defense. He needs to be utilized more.

If Monty is going to leave, it's more reason to keep him.

I think Monty isn’t really creative. His system is 100% tied to Chris Paul. He doesn’t make adjustments at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Monty isn’t really creative. His system is 100% tied to Chris Paul. He doesn’t make adjustments at all.

It's beginning to feel this way.

I have this nagging thought that Monty may have pulled the reins back on Chris Paul coaching up the team which may have cause a fissure. However, this is pure conjecture on my part.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I think we have to wait for the market to open before we can claim it's spoken. And from what I've read we're still putting out the message that we are going to sign him or match him so of course that's going to curtail interest to some degree.
There you go again bringing facts into the equation.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It's beginning to feel this way.

I have this nagging thought that Monty may have pulled the reins back on Chris Paul coaching up the team which may have cause a fissure. However, this is pure conjecture on my part.
I think losing Willie Green really hurt us. We need another strong tactician behind Monty.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think losing Willie Green really hurt us. We need another strong tactician behind Monty.

I couldn't agree more. I'm not sure if Patrick Mutombo helps in this area or not.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Free agency doesn't start until Thursday at 9pm AZ time. The market hasn't opened so of course he hasn't received an offer sheet. He literally can't receive one right now even if all parties agreed.
Officially yes but the Suns and every team have been on the phone getting feelers. I can guarantee you every team has asked the Suns their intention. The local media indicated the Suns have been telling teams they will match. We did the same thing with Bledsoe before it officially opened and we quashed the offers before they happened.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave