The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, those were two separate statements. I was just typing as they were talking. They said Kyrie's team couldn't find any trade partners in a sign and trade scenario. So, I think the implication was that he would just opt in and resolved to the fact he would play for the Nets next year. Which seems weird because there were many reports saying the Lakers were interested.

The Lakers had nothing but Westbrook to trade and there's no way the Nets were swapping Kyrie for Russ.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Lakers had nothing but Westbrook to trade and there's no way the Nets were swapping Kyrie for Russ.
Oh yeah...I had assumed there likely would be another team involved if something happened. The Nets gave up a TON for the Harden move. They would need to get back more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is confusing when it comes to Irving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note? They are saying the ONLY team willing to pay Ayton the Max in a sign and trade was Detroit. The KD scenario only became a possibility when it looked like Kyrie was moving. Sounds like there never was a legit trade scenario with any partner for Ayton and a Superstar.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if Suns want to sign-and-trade Ayton they need to work with the Spurs and Hawks for Collins.

The Pistons could throw the max at Ayton anyway in a offer sheet.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though we now know there was never was a legit opportunity for an Ayton Superstar trade scenario, I have to admit I am disappointed. I was letting myself get a little excited about the possibility of KD in a Suns uniform when it appeared talks with Kyrie broke down and he was on the move. Maybe KD will see what a three-ring circus the Nets are and decide to still want out?

I know not likely. All of these other trade scenarios suck unless it’s a 3 team trade.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Oh yeah...I had assumed there likely would be another team involved if something happened. The Nets gave up a TON for the Harden move. They would need to get back more.
To me, this doesn't eliminate the outcome of kyrie leaving the Nets.

If Kyrie to the Lakers had any validity, I could see three scenarios:

1. He opts out and signs with the Lakers for the mid level exception, in which case the Nets get nothing.
-I didn't think this was a realistic scenario. As much as Kyrie wants everyone to think he's a free spirit, he's not enough of a free spirit to leave 30 mil on the table and risk future earnings for a 6mil short term contract.

2. He is signed to a 4 year max and traded to the Lakers.
-All the Lakers really have to trade is Westbrook.

3. He opts in to his 1 year deal and is traded to the Lakers.
-All the Lakers really have to trade is Westbrook.

My reasoning for why a team might find Kyrie on a one year deal more attractive than a 4 year deal - Teams don't want to commit to Kyrie for 4 years. On a 1 year, if he plays nice, they own his bird rights. If not, bon voyage.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the national shows one of the guys says he said Toronto could emerge as a late dark horse to get Ayton. Not sure that was based on anything but speculation.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One of the national shows one of the guys says he said Toronto could emerge as a late dark horse to get Ayton. Not sure that was based on anything but speculation.
Did they say how? I think they'd have to shed like 24 million in salary to make him an offer outright.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did they say how? I think they'd have to shed like 24 million in salary to make him an offer outright.
No, I was channel flipping. Heard the end of it. Sure it was some whacky trade scenario.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can see the Suns being hesitant to trade a first round pick in any offseason trades if we retain Ayton thinking that Durant or another star could become available by the trade deadline.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The market has spoken. Teams in need of a big would rather go with a cheap rookies. Tough times for non-MVP caliber centers.
I don't think that is necissarily true. If there was enough cap space available he would have no problem getting his max deal, he still might.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree that is best case.

Best case is he gets over it and becomes the player he has the potential to become for the Suns. Is that at all likely, probably not, but it is the best case scenerio.

I don't see this as contradictory. Both sides working things out and Ayton becoming the best player he can be me seems like what almost everyone wants.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The market has spoken. Teams in need of a big would rather go with a cheap rookies. Tough times for non-MVP caliber centers.

Ayton will get a max offer from another team if it comes down to an offer sheet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have to wait for the market to open before we can claim it's spoken. And from what I've read we're still putting out the message that we are going to sign him or match him so of course that's going to curtail interest to some degree.