The Ayton Plan

Bobster

All Star
Reaction score
Well he’s clearly not more important than Bridges. So you can’t pay him more than Bridges right.

Did you see Bridges in the Dallas series? He disappeared.

And yes, Ayton is more important to them that Bridges. He's their rim protector, their best rebounder, and a terrific shooter from 15' in.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we make the finals and beat the Pels without Ayton but without Bridges we don’t do that.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Just so I understand you correctly: Ayton sacrifices his growth and development for the betterment of the team, watches his peers get max contracts, but is selfish because he wanted to get paid his worth? I’m sure you handled your last job negotiation the same
Let's get a good understanding and not get it twisted for the sake of a disagreement. I didn't say Ayton was selfish what I said is he couldn't even come to the table to negotiate with the Suns. Come on you got to act in good faith and while Ayton has shown flashes of a very talented big man for 4 years it is also seen that sometimes he disappears. And if he felt in his heart that he was worth a Max then he should have tried to make his case to get a Max period because that's what negotiating is. To be indifferent solves nothing. I'd love for Ayton to stay here and hope he does but he didn't bring it night in & night out like a Max players is suppose to do. Sure everyone going to have a off nights every now & then. Ayton has a ton of talent he just has to put it together as he has a high ceiling.

Michael Porter who is always injured isn't worth a Max but he got it but they say it's not all guaranteed but he & his agent negotiated that contract and Luka got a super Max but he is there night in night out producing at a very high level on offense (triple double lots of times) but Luka lacks a strong defensive game but still negotiations were completed. Trae Young got a Max he's very good on offense but he's flawed on defense. I never said Ayton was selfish what I said he needs maturity and bring the hard work every game or as much as possible for a Max. He does sacrifice for the team a lot and probably wants a bigger role on offense and that's understandable but the Suns just want consistent performance & determination in exchange for $34+ Million per year for 5 year conmmittment.
As for your mention of me and negotiating well I was a high school basketball coach and then a realtor and I would always go in negotiations open minded knowing it's a give & take for all to win. Get the job done! Win-Win. But sometimes you can & sometimes you can't.
By the way I like Ayton and want him to stay. Whatever happens the Sun will come up tomorrow. But I not always sure of the Phoenix Suns will. Hoping however!!

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For clarity, Deandre Ayton did meet with Robert Sarver.

Although it may not be considered a part of formal negotiations, I do think it was more than just a friendly chat.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
Although nothing can be made official as of now, hopefully the Suns and Ayton's camp have already laid the groundwork for a compromise contract and it will be completed when restricted free agency opens.
I hope so Mainstreet.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cmon if Dallas with no threat of a center is taking out Gobert and DA this conversation is done. Gobert ain't worth the money and DA certainly aint
Nobody in here saying any of them are WORTH that much money. But he will get it.
Max contracts are about time in not accolades anymore sadly.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of smoke about a trade between the Hawks and Spurs.

I can't help but wonder if this could turn into a three way trade involving the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about this idea. I keep thinking about the rumored Spurs and Hawks trade and think something bigger could be brewing like a three way trade.

Suns could send Ayton and expiring contracts to the Spurs for Jakob Poeltl, Devin Vassell and John Collins. Of course it would require tweaking. Different players and picks might be involved.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this idea. I keep thinking about the rumored Spurs and Hawks trade and think something bigger could be brewing like a three way trade.

Suns could send Ayton and expiring contracts to the Spurs for Jakob Poeltl, Devin Vassell and John Collins. Of course it would require tweaking. Different players and picks might be involved.

I don’t think Ayton can be combined with other players and we can only take back 19 million on any deal involving him

Murray makes 15 million a straight swap would be sweet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Ayton can be combined with other players and we can only take back 19 million on any deal involving him

The trades would have to be intertwined between the three teams. I'm mostly looking at ideas if Ayton did get traded.

I think there is too much smoke with Atlanta for Murray to be traded to the Suns but he would be an ideal piece.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Ayton can be traded with other players if the salaries match. Taking back $19m is 125% of his BYC if he’s traded alone.

Hypothetically if Ayton agrees to it and the Nets get under the hard cap the Suns would need to send out at $33m to get KD. Ayton + Bridges would do it. Or if no DA…. Bridges + Crowder + Craig works (plus picks of course).

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
There is a lot of smoke about a trade between the Hawks and Spurs.

I can't help but wonder if this could turn into a three way trade involving the Suns.
Great, i want either Capela/Poetl, + Murray & Bogdonovich.... throw in anyone but Book, Paul, Bridges & Johnson

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Ayton can be traded with other players if the salaries match. Taking back $19m is 125% of his BYC if he’s traded alone.

Hypothetically if Ayton agrees to it and the Nets get under the hard cap the Suns would need to send out at $33m to get KD. Ayton + Bridges would do it. Or if no DA…. Bridges + Crowder + Craig works (plus picks of course).
In a vacuum, Bridges is the one who should be leaving, not Ayton. But since DA wants no business being a Sun, he's gonna have to be in a package. To get Durant, It's going to cost DA and Bridges. No two ways about it.

I think of any of the proposals, trading for Durant is the only one that makes sense for this team. If JJ can somehow convince DA to want to stay and be committed to the cause that's the second best option. Every other proposal I've seen is garbage.